PDA

View Full Version : International 6 plus shifting

bearmtnmartin
10-03-2011, 12:57 AM
I just bought this truck. Its a 1998 with a 6 plus 1. Its the worst shifting tranny I have ever operated, and I have well over a million miles in heavy trucks. I am wondering if a fork is bent. Or is it a synchro with all the cogs worn out? Three of us have tried to drive it smoothly and no go. I'm getting tired of sitting in intersections trying to find a gear.....And forget about downshifts.

Also wondering where this engine likes to run. Its a DT 466.

Thanks for the help

ecurbthims
10-03-2011, 10:01 AM
the six plus is a very reliable tranny ,easy to shift as well .I would yank it out and figure it out before something lets go and ruins what is still good ,but it sounds like you have a damaged fork .On a side note ,if its too expensive to repair,these trannies are available cheap as hell from fleets getting rid of school buss's ,you can often buy a whole bus for $500.00 .

westcoh
10-04-2011, 12:17 AM
Sounds like something's wrong. I have a 97 with the 6 plus 1 and no real problems with shifting / downshifting and I'm not the most experienced truck driver out there. Only thing I've really noticed is sometimes after coming to a stop it's difficult to get into 1st gear.

sbrem
10-04-2011, 07:30 AM
Only thing I've really noticed is sometimes after coming to a stop it's difficult to get into 1st gear.

Although I have never driven a 6 plus 1, I have occasionally had this problem with other transmissions and I find if you stick it in a higher gear first and then go right back to first, things will line up an it will slide right in.

bearmtnmartin
10-04-2011, 10:10 AM
I've settled on a bent shifting fork. It hasn't got any better. Its as if there is an obstruction in front of every gear.