PDA

View Full Version : overseed - when to transition back to regular schedule?

Redline9k
10-03-2011, 10:21 AM
Overseeded and reseeded some areas that were bare 14 days ago w/ a TTTF blend.

I have been watering 2x @ 10-15min each for the last 14 days. Most everything that I expected seems to have germinated with an average height of maybe 1 - 1.5" now. Temps have been holding steady in the mid 70s during the day and high 40s at night and look to do so for another week or more.

1) when can I start tapering back my watering? Do i go to 1x per day for 15-20min or just go back to 1" / week deep watering?

2) when can i start mowing again without hurting the new grass? The mature grass is at least 4"+ by now even though I cut it back to about 2-2.5" before overseeding. (Do i bag this first cut since the mature grass is so tall?)

Thanks

Doug

Smallaxe
10-03-2011, 10:52 AM
So much depends on soil and sun... Feel the ground with your finger tip and see how deep the moisture goes... your seedling roots should be several inches into the soil by now, unless they run into compaction... I would get OFF the schedule and water as needed... they should be able to go 2 days w/out watering, but a baking sun could change that...

RigglePLC
10-03-2011, 12:13 PM
You are right. You cannot wait much longer to mow. Let it dry for a day to make sure it is not muddy. Mowing actually helps the grass to spread more sideways instead of vertical growth. It will allow more light to reach the new grass.