PDA

View Full Version : enclosed trailer: value or future regret

bigB
10-03-2011, 08:36 PM
Wanting to start into the lawncare business next season, wondering if anyone had purchased or looked at these trailers available in many areas in the east, some sold through eBay? Would like the thoughts of some of you guys that had purchased trailers in the past and know what to look for... Thanks in advance, and I hope the link works.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-6X12-SA-ENCLOSED-CARGO-TRAILER-PITTSBURGH-PA-/180730496259?pt=Motors_Trailers&hash=item2a14608503

starry night
10-03-2011, 08:57 PM
The 2990 # axle seems woefully weak for lawn care business unless you're only hauling a 21" walk behind mower and a couple rakes.

Gilmore.Landscaping
10-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Sometimes deals that good are just too good to be true

bigB
10-03-2011, 09:43 PM
I messaged them, empty weight is approx. 1200# which leaves almost 1800# of weight for cargo without going over the weight on the axle...I also wondered if it was to good to be true, or if buying direct could really save some $ which is why I asked...Also for more $ a heavier axle is available if necessary.

Gilmore.Landscaping
10-03-2011, 11:51 PM
One z mower can be 1700lbs, that barely leaves room for a shovel. Definitely the bigger axel, or check out the dual axel ones
Posted via Mobile Device

4 seasons lawn&land
10-04-2011, 12:07 AM
I didnt like the enclosed period. PITA to tow everywhere. It would be better on a tight route.

knox gsl
10-04-2011, 12:25 AM
The trailer most likely has a 3500lb axle under it but the manufacter will derate it so they don't have to install brakes. If you buy one get it with brakes and use them, this will get you to the full capacity (3500lbs axle + 350lbs tounge). Now this may sound harsh, but are you sure you want to cut grass for a living, this is alot of work? BTW if you are serious just bypass the cheap trailers and get a well built 16x7, a junk trailer is a good way to stay pissed off.
Posted via Mobile Device

bigB
10-04-2011, 05:40 AM
I appreciate the responses....I wanted to go enclosed to keep them out of the weather and protected from theft. I definitely don't want a POS, but I also don't want to pay more than necessary for a trailer that has the same features and benefits as one I can get for much less. As far as sounding harsh, believe me I've asked myself over and over if this is something I'm sure I want to do, been debating for years, and I think it is. Its something I actually enjoy doing. Thank you all again for the reponses.

mowerbrad
10-04-2011, 10:05 AM
I'm not going to say that there aren't deals out there on trailers, but this one just doesn't appear to be one of those deals. It looks like its cheaply made and just won't last you very long. I would assume that you would start having problems with it during your first year.

You could spend $2200 on this trailer but end up spending more money on the upkeep of the trailer and making repairs. In the end, I would just purchase an enclosed trailer from a reputable company, you'd spend a little more money up front for this but you wouldn't have to worry about it then. A quality trailer is going to last you longer, stay nicer longer and give you less problems over the years of ownership.

You don't have to buy a larger trailer if that is not what you need. If you only need a 6x12, then get a 6x12...don't go buying an 18' trailer if you have no use for one that big.

Oakleaf landscape
10-05-2011, 12:34 AM
Look at haulmark or pace. You want one with a rounded roof, not a flat roof.

weeble67
10-05-2011, 01:17 AM
I disagree on the buying a smaller trailer. I have a 16ft v-nose and wish I had a 18 or 20 foot. I would have also opted for more headroom too. But to sell my trailer and then to go buy a new one and get graphics puts a large cost on it. If you buy a large trailer now, spend the money to get it wrapped or graphics put on and you will be happier than buying a small one and wishing you had more room.

PLS-Tx
10-05-2011, 02:34 AM
Look at haulmark or pace. You want one with a rounded roof, not a flat roof.

Pace it out of business but Haulmark makes a nice trailer.

We have a 8.5X20 Pace, it's been a good trailer, we have worked it hard for over 5 years.

Planing to get a box truck but we will be keeping the enclosed also.

ed2hess
10-05-2011, 10:44 PM
I don't see anything wrong with this trailer. I would get the extra 6" of height. And you will probably want to put on brakes. Might just as well pay them to do that. I don't like the side door it is just a place people break in. If it doesn't have big enough axle you can always upgrade that. Don't get a biger trailer than you need. And with the 6' width you can see around it easier than with wider trailer. I would guess a home depot pace would be about the same price.

bigB
10-15-2011, 08:21 AM
thanks again for all the responses!