PDA

View Full Version : How is a Walker for a primary mower? How well does it mulch?

ranger520
11-08-2002, 06:53 AM
I was wondering how good a walker would be as a primary mower. With the high demand for fall and spring clean-ups in my area, it seems to be the way to go.

awm
11-08-2002, 08:50 AM
the dealer at the last expo told me its made for those who vac.

MOW ED
11-08-2002, 09:07 AM
Depending on the volume of your business and types of properties that you mow. A Walker will definately be a great investment for leaf and spring cleans as well as a great bagger. I use a Walker as a first line mower and it is admittedly a precision mower and shines in that realm. It cannot compare to the midmount Z mowers for production mowing in straight lines and on flat areas. The Walker can mow on quite steep grades and the out front deck has a greater reach under obstacles. Up til this year I have used a 42GHS deck with the no catch deflector for rear dsicharge of clippings. I found it ok but not quite what I needed for my business. My solution is the 52SD deck that is equipped with doubles from the factory. The 52 deck is a monster and does a great job. I have the mulch kit too but my setup for spring and fall is to put the GHS on.

I could go on and on and I have in other posts but I will also say what I say to everyone.
DEMO the unit for a week. Contact your dealer or local area rep and get one to use on your properties. That is true for anything that you may want to buy that costs 10 grand. For me a Walker is a must have item. My business makes money because of it and my customers demand it. Need more? - E-mail me. Good Luck

Brickman
11-08-2002, 09:59 AM
I had a 16HP, when I out grew it I got the 25HP. I only had the Walker and 2 21''s. One year I had a 36" Toro WB, when I didn't need it any more I sold it. I didn't have that many large props that a bigger fast mower would have made a dif. You can only go so fast over rough ground.
One thing to do is spend the $25 on a speed up kit for your Walker. Well worth it.

Currier
11-08-2002, 10:07 AM
I use my Walker on some 1+ acre properties and though I love the machine it surely does get old going back and forth! It gives a great cut and manuvers easily but it is best (in my opinion) for smaller properties.

I find for leaves if you blow them out the back on the first pass you will greatly reduce the number of times you have to dump the hopper.

For heavy leaves, or areas where I don't want objects flying out the back I use my jd 36 to reduce the pile and the Walker to clean it up. They are awesome clean up machines.

ranger520
11-08-2002, 10:12 AM
Anyone run a side discharge as a second deck on there walker?

scott

Brickman
11-08-2002, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by ranger520

scott

I had three, GHS for spring heavy growth, mulching deck and SD for weeds and times when you didn't want to do any of the above.

walker-talker
11-08-2002, 12:13 PM

scott

I run 52" SD as my main deck and use the GHS for scalping and cleanup. If I would have to do it all over again, I would have taken the money spent on the SD deck and put that towards an Exmark Lazer. Walkers are not designed to mulch grass. I don't have any regrets owning my Walker, I just don't like using a discharge deck (creates too much of a mess). I have not tried the mulching baffles, but from what I have heard they create a lot of blow out. I am considering trying to find myself a set of used ones just to try. Who knows, they might just work for me. I have heard that Walker has came out with a newly designed mulching baffle, but have not heard many comments on them. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to email me.

MATT

Brickman
11-08-2002, 12:17 PM
There are variables in every thing but over all the 42" mulching deck I had did a fairly decent job. You can't cut low, wet, or huge amounts of growth and expect it to look nice the first pass. Seldom did I have to go over things twice, rarely a third time.

ranger520
11-08-2002, 07:38 PM

scott

Ray&Christine
11-08-2002, 08:04 PM
I run a 36 inch SD in the spring and summer and only use the 36 inch GHS deck for leaf pick-up in the fall. I disconnect the belt off the blower when i'm using the SD deck, the blower uses alot of power. If I bought another Walker I might not get the SD deck, I would just use the GHS deck with a "no catch" deflector when I didn't want to collect the leaves or clippings.

Ray

mcambrose
11-09-2002, 09:46 PM

scott

I have a 42 in SD that I use when I have to cut very overgrown grass. I tried it cutting manicured lawns, but it does not spread the grass out even enough. It drops some clumps. It was a waste of my money. The GHS decks are great.

landscaper3
11-09-2002, 10:18 PM
We run 2 26EFI GHS mowers and one 25hp GHS. We have 52" side discharge with optional mulching deck, snowblowers and bed edger. These are our primary machines along with Zmasters and Hydro walkbehinds. The 52" discharge is best on (MY) opinion due to its belt driven not gearbox ($$$$$ If gearbox breaks)

Ax Man
11-09-2002, 11:47 PM
I think that a Walker is a great primary mower.
I run the 48 ghs in the fall exclusively. I put a set of gators on it for the heavyest leaves (they are almost done!) and they pack the hopper like grass usually does.
They don't lift as well as the standard blade though so for the final cuts I will use the originals.
Most of the season I run the 52 sd. Sometimes with doubles,(for wet and tall grass)
And I cover as much acreage as I did before with a 61 midmount.
1 day a week though I vacuum, on my snooty lawns. You gotta love the picky old ladies!
Profit is up 28% this season so far, and cleanups are easier and faster than ever before.

DAVE13
11-12-2002, 06:04 PM
The best walker set up is a MTGHS. Use the GHS deck for Spring & Fall clean-ups then come mowinging time switch to a 56sd and swap the catcher for a dump tray. You will go so many more places a midmount can't go. Total job time will be less unless your mowing a flat wide open field.