PDA

View Full Version : will roundup kill ferns?

jay albers
10-03-2011, 09:14 PM
the customer wants all those ferns gone and grass there.

Told them we had to kill the ferns then bring in topsoil

I may also make the suggestion to make it a flower bed, Rather just mulch it then deal with the soil.

wondering if roundup will wipe them out.
Thanks,Jay

Snyder's Lawn Inc
10-03-2011, 09:40 PM
Sound like you are spraying with out a license If you had one then you would know the answer you are asking

jay albers
10-03-2011, 09:47 PM
thanks bud

ReddensLawnCare
10-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Yeah, RU will knock them out.

FoghornLeghorn
10-03-2011, 11:35 PM
There are products intended for "woody stemmed" plants that might work better. Google, "woody plant herbicide" or something like that and start your search

jay albers
10-04-2011, 06:41 AM
did the search, garlon 4 came up a couple times, pretty pricey.

roundup came up also, I'll probably go with that.

thanks guys

David Haggerty
10-04-2011, 07:00 AM
Roundup has no carry over. It'll kill anything green & growing up to the woody stemmed category.
The ones in the pics look pretty yellow. Are they gone already?
Snyder's right you know. Don't get caught spraying pesticides without a license. It's legal for the homeowner to kill them, just not a contractor.
Not saying you're not licensed, just stating the facts for whoever's reading this.

lakesregionscapes
10-04-2011, 08:00 AM
Since RU has to be actively absorbed through the leaves, to reach and shut down the metabolism in the roots, I doubt it will work on these plants at this time of year. The fronds look pretty much gone dormant, and aren't going to transport anything to the root system, no matter who does the spraying...

jay albers
10-04-2011, 08:02 AM
There starting to die out already. I'm here in the poconos and its been really wet and this week it was in the 40's a couple nights.

jay albers
10-04-2011, 08:05 AM
it may be a spring project,

can i spray that whole area before they come up and kill them off in the spring? Right before they come up i mean

Mark Oomkes
10-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Just be careful of how much topsoil you add. You just might end up wiping out all the trees if you change the root level too much.

hackitdown
10-04-2011, 09:28 AM

can i spray that whole area before they come up and kill them off in the spring? Right before they come up i mean

When you re-read the label on the RU, it will remind you to spray the product on the foliage of the plant. The plant will absorb the herbicide through the foliage. Standard Roundup will not work when applied to soil.

I'm sure that you remember this from the licensing class.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
10-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Sound like you are spraying with out a license If you had one then you would know the answer you are asking

Exactly! You need to hire a professional who knows what he is doing!... Just a note. If I see someone spraying without a BU number I call the PDA. It is people who don't know what they are doing that gives this part of the business a bad name. Thats just me.

rlitman
10-04-2011, 08:29 PM

Did you read what everyone said above?

Mark Oomkes
10-05-2011, 07:16 AM
Did you read what everyone said above?

Why would he bother with that?

Just look at the question he started this thread with.

Sammy
10-05-2011, 09:34 AM
http://fvm.cas.psu.edu/treecontrol.htm

rlitman
10-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Why would he bother with that?
Just look at the question he started this thread with.

I'll give someone the benefit of the doubt on a first question (sidestepping the licensing issue for now).
But that was answered by:
> Roundup has no carry over. It'll kill anything green & growing . . .
and
> Since RU has to be actively absorbed through the leaves, to reach and shut down the metabolism in the roots, I doubt it will work on these plants at this time of year. . .

So he goes and replies with:
> can i spray that whole area before they come up and kill them off in the spring? Right before they come up i mean
[emphasis was put in by me]

Is it THAT hard to put two and two together?

Why do I see this guy applying Roundup Extended Control, or something not just glyphosate, and coming back here months later asking what can be done to save the trees. or why nothing he planted lived?

Mark Oomkes
10-05-2011, 10:14 AM
Or, why in about 5 years, after dumping yards and yards of topsoil, the trees are dying.

OP, try some Pramitol, it should do the trick.

Personally, I'd be very cautious doing much of anything. Looks to me like a lot of scrubby trees and underbrush were taken out to clear the view of this house. Those trees are more than likely undergoing a bunch of stress already from the massive environmental change they just went through.

I have a hard time cutting someone in this field slack that doesn't even have the basic knowledge of what and how Roundup works, or can't even find the label online and read it, then ask for clarifications if he doesn't understand it.

But, guessing he isn't licensed, probably doesn't know what a label is or how to read it.

soloscaperman
10-05-2011, 11:53 AM
knock down the tree's, add some topsoil, seed, etc. Then if the customer wants to spend more money just add a flower bed or two.

Dr.NewEarth
10-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Round-up will only work if the temperature has been around 70 ferenheit/ 18 celcius.

If this is the case and you are also concerned about harming other trees and plants, be careful with the spray drift or paint the glyphosate onto each fern as it begins to sprout in the warm dry spring.

I actually think the ferns look great. Why bother changing a healthy eco-system and putting down grass? Grass will most likely grow thin in that area at best

Snyder's Lawn Inc
10-06-2011, 10:55 PM
Some people that does have a licence to spray dont have any sense I saw a guy spraying a lawn was totally brown with wind gusting 26mph and you smell the 2-4D 2 blocks away Been dry here for 4 weeks with no rain on top of that when I went by he was putting dry fert I seen the bag he putting down 46-0-0

White Gardens
10-07-2011, 07:58 AM
Spray now, (Ignoring the licensing question)

First I would go in and cut off all the ferns first. Not only will you ensure that you won't kill any of them, but you'll open up the area so you can see what you are spraying.

With all the ferns knocked down, you will be able to easily tell where each plant is. The root mass sticks up out of the ground on a fern, so you'll be able to work around them.

Do it now while they are dormant. If you wait until spring, you'll have new growth that will potentially get applied with Round-Up, thus killing them.

To me there is no reason to add topsoil unless there is a grade issue. Just do your prep work, spray, and then add good hardwood bark-mulch to help smoother out any grass that has survived the spraying.