PDA

View Full Version : New product- Irritracker.com

Stuttering Stan
10-03-2011, 11:11 PM
www.irritracker.com

Below is a email response asking for more information on this product:

Our definition of map is two fold. Our form helps you create zone description “maps” from your phone or computer. The form includes information such as zone number, head type, plant material type, and zone location description. It also includes fields for customer name, address, phone number, controller location, and water source information.

Secondly, Irritracker allows you to upload ‘’as builds’’, hand drawn maps, or color shaded maps into the form as a file (ex: .jpg file). Although it works on your phone, in my opinion this function is more usable on a tablet pc (ex. Ipad, Toshiba Thrive, etc.)(Irritracker works on all these devices!!). The bigger screen size allows you to expand out and see more detail in the uploaded image.

Irritracker was created to work on your mobile phone out in the field. Therefore, the forms are designed to be simple, easy to read, and easily updated from your mobile device.

Mike Leary
10-03-2011, 11:28 PM
That looks pretty interesting. I've got a mega they want to have mapped next year after all the "as-bilts" were lost. Are you joining forces with Peter and becoming a REP?

Stuttering Stan
10-03-2011, 11:43 PM
No REPing for me. I stumbled across this site. Looks like a good program to load system information onto your phone. Easy access to detailed information in the palm of your hand. Maybe geared more toward commercial properties or megas and not so much the everyday <10 zone residential.

Kiril
10-04-2011, 10:11 AM
www.irritracker.com

Below is a email response asking for more information on this product:

Our definition of map is two fold. Our form helps you create zone description “maps” from your phone or computer. The form includes information such as zone number, head type, plant material type, and zone location description. It also includes fields for customer name, address, phone number, controller location, and water source information.

Secondly, Irritracker allows you to upload ‘’as builds’’, hand drawn maps, or color shaded maps into the form as a file (ex: .jpg file). Although it works on your phone, in my opinion this function is more usable on a tablet pc (ex. Ipad, Toshiba Thrive, etc.)(Irritracker works on all these devices!!). The bigger screen size allows you to expand out and see more detail in the uploaded image.

Irritracker was created to work on your mobile phone out in the field. Therefore, the forms are designed to be simple, easy to read, and easily updated from your mobile device.

Why pay for something like this? Store your "maps" on your phone/netbook/notebook and/or get your own website and dump your stuff there.

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
10-04-2011, 10:36 AM
What's wrong with placing a laminated copy of the station list or map in the door if the controller? A couple of squares of Velcro and you're good to go. Last thing I need is my guys dicking around with a smart phone or tablet while they should be checking irrigation. Besides that all of my techs are assigned to their sites permanently so they know the sites already and what stations run each area of the site.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kiril
10-04-2011, 11:45 AM
You want a useful new product ...... here is one.

http://www.rainsensors.com/

SPEEDSKI
10-04-2011, 09:57 PM
I am glad to see people trying to invent new things for irrigation. I was not able to see what the maps look like or the process of mapping on site. I wonder how well you can see the as-built on a small phone.

Things like this always seem to be cool at first, but I know better now to really think how we will implement into the company.

- Everyone will require a smart phone and they already fly through the flip phones we already provide them as it is with mud and water.

- It is another thing they need to be trained on and deal with service issues (software problems, phones problems etc.)

- Printing the scan is going to be a pain also. Do you buy 5 printers or 1 for all of them to share. Then who has the one or who broke the one and "I went to the job but I was out of stickers to print"

- We send the same techs to large commericals already. Sending a newbie to a big job with an as-built is not that much help.

Like I said, it is cool to see something new. All our techs have multiple remotes and an as-built for the majority of jobs is only good for the first few trips of a new property. By the time you add a smart phone with data plan for every tech, plus the software package every month you are looking at some serious money.

We already run Verizon Wireless netbooks for Hindsite and have cell phones for each tech and crew leader. Hindsite that saves office time and paper work and makes sure we are billing for the work we do. We are also in the business of billings service hours (I am not talking about screwing the customers) and it gets to a point where the costs of all this technology is just not realistic for irrigation techs. If we could bill $200.00 an hour it would be different and it is hard to find guys to show up every morning let alone learn these systems.

We just do not make enough per hour to justify all the new gadgets out there. Between normal tools, truck, fuel, Locator's, drills, remotes, meters, actuators and on and on......it seems to me it will end up being another thing the guys become to rely on and spend more time messing with it then working.

Good luck to them though!

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
10-05-2011, 02:37 PM
A) I'm not big on the "Cloud" for a multitude of reasons so strike one.
B) I already own a laminator and it takes less than a minute to do so strike two
C) In this economy I don't need to be paying for anything else that I dont need to be especially when I can do the exact thing for next to nothing with an old fashioned binder and my computer! so strike three!

Sorry.... just my POV

Mike Leary
10-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Hmm. interesting thread, for once. As I mentioned, my main "mega" wants to do a accurate as-built of all utilities (including my double Rainmaster 48 zoners) next year. They want it available, not only on a storage medium, but a paper copy in the largest scale possible. Since it's almost twenty acres, how would some of you go about mapping such a site?

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
10-05-2011, 04:16 PM
I think there is some confusion here... from looking at their web site there is no "mapping" function in the literal sense. It's just the means to create a station list with a description. That's how I map a site. Physical description of the location of the zone usually something like this:

Station 1 - Turf, Rotors, East side of main driveway
Station 2 - Shrubs, Sprays, Shrub bed along west side of building

You get the picture.... I've mapped sites with 96 stations in this manner and had no problems with people understanding the legend. I just can't see spending between $30 and $240 PER MONTH for a service like this!

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
10-05-2011, 04:19 PM
And sorry... to answer your question Mike: On a 20 acre site the only accurate way I can think of to map utilities and main lines and such is to do it all in Auto Cad and give them a copy of the file and the free .dwg file viewer. If you already had the landscape and irrigation in Auto Cad it would be very easy to do. I've seen 15 acre site plans reduced to 11 x 17, color coded and laminated and turned into very nice controller charts.

Mike Leary
10-05-2011, 04:27 PM
And sorry... to answer your question Mike: On a 20 acre site the only accurate way I can think of to map utilities and main lines and such is to do it all in Auto Cad and give them a copy of the file and the free .dwg file viewer. If you already had the landscape and irrigation in Auto Cad it would be very easy to do. I've seen 15 acre site plans reduced to 11 x 17, color coded and laminated and turned into very nice controller charts.

Thanks Dan, now is Auto Cad (excuse my being lost in the sixties) something that we use a GPS system to map? RM has the GPS locations of all my DX-2 clocks.

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
10-05-2011, 05:08 PM
Thanks Dan, now is Auto Cad (excuse my being lost in the sixties) something that we use a GPS system to map? RM has the GPS locations of all my DX-2 clocks.

The site would actually have to be drawn from scratch either from existing plans or from data from an actual site survey. This would be a pretty costly venture as you'd probably have to hire somebody to do it all.... but once the base map of the site was done you could do all kinds of cool things with it.

Mike Leary
10-05-2011, 05:25 PM
The site would actually have to be drawn from scratch either from existing plans or from data from an actual site survey. This would be a pretty costly venture as you'd probably have to hire somebody to do it all.... but once the base map of the site was done you could do all kinds of cool things with it.

What I figured, also. Why they hired the low-life sprinkler guy to ramrod it, I have no idea, except they know I'll need rear duals next year. :)

zman9119
10-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Hmm. interesting thread, for once. As I mentioned, my main "mega" wants to do a accurate as-built of all utilities (including my double Rainmaster 48 zoners) next year. They want it available, not only on a storage medium, but a paper copy in the largest scale possible. Since it's almost twenty acres, how would some of you go about mapping such a site?

Trimble GPS unit and AutoCAD Map 3D. You can rent Trimble units that will give you sub-foot ranges. Flag the site, use the gps to mark your waypoints, export and pull into AutoCAD.

We did as-builts for golf courses this way all the time.

Mike Leary
10-05-2011, 10:48 PM
It might be cheaper to fly one or two of you hotshots up to WA if you have the mapping capabilities and hardware. No skiing, but the finest seafood and wine in the world. There is a cottage on site and the client is a looker.

zman9119
10-06-2011, 12:06 AM
Have family in Olympia... Just have to get a vacation once in a while.

mitchgo
10-06-2011, 01:28 AM
No skiing, .

What about alpental , baker and crystal ? There the S!

mitchgo
10-06-2011, 01:30 AM
Have family in Olympia... Just have to get a vacation once in a while.

just 'partied' there 2 weeks ago... My best man just got back from a 1.5 year service in iraq.. Got a hotel- was rather fun to be drunk with him at 4am at the pier at the light house and talk about stories of him over there

SPEEDSKI
10-09-2011, 01:45 PM
I just watched the you tube videos for this product and all it does it create a Station/Zone Description. They just call it a "map".

We built an Excel spread sheet to do what this does. The techs can create one in the field in minutes with the template, attach it to the work order and then it is emailed to all the techs to add to their documents. Each tech keeps a flash drive with all the zone sheets and all of our CAD "maps" / as-builts. We also laminate the zone descriptions for the properties we have contracts on.

I just do not see any advantage for the high costs involved. When I originally read the sales pitch I thought it was some sort of real as-built drawing program layed over a google earth file or something.

Irritracker
10-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Hey Speedski,

Thanks for watching the videos on Youtube! We value the feedback on the product.

Irritracker was created as an alternative to laminated maps in controllers and the high cost of computers in service vehicles.

Irritracker works by...

Allowing you to use your smartphone or tablet to create a zone description map in the field and instantly uploading it to a secure website. All you have to carry is the phone/tablet. No walking holding a laptop or writing on paper and transferring to excel.

After printing the unique code for the controller, any employee of your company is allowed to scan the code with their phone and access the controller/customer information. Managers no longer have to call a technician when they are onsite and see an issue. Simply scan the code, reference the information, and turn on the zone to see the issue. Homeowners can no longer use your information to "make their own adjustments."

By using the field notes section, any employee can document service call notes, parts used, time spent, adjustments made, future needs, client requests, or all of the above into the permanent record for the account. When a new field note is uploaded, an email is sent to your administrator for billing, forwarding to a client letting them know the service is complete, or forwarding to another employee to prepare work orders, etc.

The cost of Irritracker breaks down like this...

If the typical irrigation season is 180-200 days per year and a typical branch/location services 100-200 accounts. The total Irritracker cost is $600.00 or about $3.34 per day for unlimited users. If your billing rate is $50.00/hour and Irritracker can save you 5 minutes a day, you have paid for the service.

Our intention with Irritracker is to provide companies, already using smartphone technology, with a fast/easy way to document and access their controller information.

Obviously, every business has to use what works best for them; we just hope that if you are looking for method you will try us out for free!

Irritracker
02-17-2012, 04:12 PM
As a follow up to this thread and the pricing comments posted previously. Irritracker is announcing new pricing. Due to the initial success of the product, we are able to lower our pricing and still cover our overheads and development costs. Our pricing will now be $10.00/month for unlimited use!! This price will transfer to current customers as well. An email will be going out to current users updating their current pricing level.

Our goal is to keep updating our product based on customer feedback and constantly providing a better, more affordable prodcut for current and new customers.

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
02-17-2012, 05:05 PM
Still not sold on this.....

Irritracker
02-17-2012, 05:13 PM
Do you own an irrigation service company? Do you use a smart phone? Have you tried it for free?

Wet_Boots
02-17-2012, 05:53 PM
you can't crack walnuts with a smartphone

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
02-17-2012, 06:41 PM
Do you own an irrigation service company? Do you use a smart phone? Have you tried it for free?

Yes, I own a full service commercial landscape maintenance and installation company. Yes, I do have a smart phone. No, I am not going to buy smart phones and data plans for all three of my irrigation techs just so that they can have a fancy station list that I could just as easily create and place in a binder and send out with them!!

FIMCO-MEISTER
02-17-2012, 10:27 PM
Boots I have a lady in this condominium I manage that still uses a phone identical to that. I asked her if it still worked and she said yes. Course we only have to dial 7 digits here. Amazed at how many folks here don't have computers and still write checks at the grocery store.

1idejim
02-17-2012, 11:41 PM
Boots I have a lady in this condominium I manage that still uses a phone identical to that. I asked her if it still worked and she said yes. Course we only have to dial 7 digits here. Amazed at how many folks here don't have computers and still write checks at the grocery store.

that's a model 500 fimco, mom and dad still use one, have another that's a wall mount..use it every day:)

Sprinkus
02-18-2012, 01:50 AM
Now if someone would invent "Irrislacker" so we could track all of the crappy irrigators in our area..........

Kiril
02-18-2012, 09:15 AM
Now if someone would invent "Irrislacker" so we could track all of the crappy irrigators in our area..........

I nominate boots to head up the division. :laugh:

Irritracker
02-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Announcing New "Irrislacker" rating system division of Irritracker :laugh:

Irritracker
02-18-2012, 11:18 AM
Hey guys, we realize this isn't going to be a solution for every irrigation contractor. Our feedback is showing our clientele is forward thinking irrigation company owners looking to an alternative to paper and binders. We are also finding that smartphone prices and data plans are only going down. Additionally, more irrigation controller manufacturers are creating smartphone remote technology, Ex: Baseline. Our current users are focused on keeping their technicians in the field, not working in front of a computer in the office, also keeping admins invoicing and focusing on customer service.

We at irritracker love feedback and constructive criticism. Thank you SoCalLandscape for your constant feedback. We will keep working hard to change your mind.

1idejim
02-18-2012, 02:16 PM
RM has the GPS locations of all my DX-2 clocks.

isn't that for use in central?

if i were you boss, i would flag the mains and verify the locations of all VBs before renting a trimble unit. pre-locating the field and VBs would really cut down on trimble time.

then it's just a matter of using a golf cart, a remote and a buddy to record the entire system.

shoot, now i'm pimping the remotes??????? :rolleyes:

Wet_Boots
02-18-2012, 02:19 PM
no pimping allowed unless you wear a wide-brim hat with a feather in it

Mike Leary
02-18-2012, 09:04 PM
isn't that for use in central?

Nope, it's for use in case the $5000.00 clock gets stolen.

1idejim
02-18-2012, 09:18 PM
Nope, it's for use in case the $5000.00 clock gets stolen.

you mean that it is lojacked?

sorry boss, explain the gps pls

Mike Leary
02-18-2012, 09:27 PM
you mean that it is lojacked?

sorry boss, explain the gps pls

One of the few things I will not explain. Suffice to say, you will never operate the clock if you job it from the original GPS location. Think "On Star"

1idejim
02-18-2012, 09:31 PM
One of the few things I will not explain. Suffice to say, you will never operate the clock if you job it from the original GPS location.

http://us.generation-nt.com/rain-masters-smart-controller-outsmarts-thief-press-869881.html

koster_irrigation
02-20-2012, 08:40 PM
http://www.junipersys.com/Juniper-Systems/products/IntuiTrace-Irrigation-Mapping

These guys have been advertising in IGIN magazine for a awhile. Looks like a good product. A handheld gps to make as built maps for irrigation.

Natalie isnt half bad to look at either....

irrig8r
02-21-2012, 11:52 AM
You want a useful new product ...... here is one.

http://www.rainsensors.com/

This was kinda clever too... link from the same site:

http://www.faketv.com/

zman9119
02-21-2012, 11:56 AM
http://www.junipersys.com/Juniper-Systems/products/IntuiTrace-Irrigation-Mapping

These guys have been advertising in IGIN magazine for a awhile. Looks like a good product. A handheld gps to make as built maps for irrigation.

Natalie isnt half bad to look at either....

Received something from the IA about that product too. Starting to look into it. Nice add-on service.

Kiril
02-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Received something from the IA about that product too. Starting to look into it. Nice add-on service.

IMO, if you can't get repeatable decimeter accuracy with a GPS unit, then it is almost worthless with respect to "accurate as-builts" and sub-surface asset management.