PDA

View Full Version : % of commercial & residential

lawnperfections
11-08-2002, 11:05 AM
I was wondering of the larger LCO's on this site what are you percentages of commercial vs. residential accounts and if you think one is more necessary than the other.

Thanks
Luke

LAWNS AND MOWER
11-08-2002, 01:33 PM
65% residential, 35% commercial

AL Inc
11-08-2002, 04:06 PM
lawnperfections- I don't know if you would consider my operation big but we take care of about 120 properties with 2 crews. Almost 100% residential. The few commercial that we do have are owned by residential clients. I have chosen to stay away from commercial work because it is hard for me to compete and have had headaches with them in the past. I have found residential to be more profitable. I don't think one is more necessary than the other, they both have pro's and con's, it depends on the direction you want to go......Mike

rross
11-08-2002, 04:09 PM
I agree with that! Commercial properties are great and bring large sums of income. Residential brings in small amount per time, but you usually accumulate more of them. Do to the mear size of commercial properties you will take a much larger lose if you lose one commercial property. If you have several residential properties, many more people can hate your service before your out as much money as the one commercial. I like the balance of 65 to 35.

bubble boy
11-08-2002, 04:34 PM
remember in areas that get snow winter can be hugely profitable, and its hard to get in if your small. snow pushers, loaders, etc are huge $ for a small op to spend. and ice control isn't something you jump into.

easier to start with res. so smaller companies often have large % of res. not always but often.

large companies have the resources to deal with large commercial. here the larger companies are seen often at malls, industrial parrks etc. rarely seen in the neighborhoods.

CMLLawnServices
11-08-2002, 06:28 PM
I have Few residental, but alot of commercial I prefer commercial any day. gonna get more next year.

Santa
11-08-2002, 07:48 PM
We have 75% condominium, 20% residential, 5% commercial. We like the condo's. We only sign year round long term contracts, with yearly price increases. This way both sides find it easier to prepare their yearly budget.We have never lost a condominium client in 22 yrs., and we are NEVER the lowest bidder.

D.L.

JimLewis
11-15-2002, 03:03 AM
I am pretty much the same as Mike. We have 160 clients and 159.75 of them are residential. I like it that way.

Bill Davis
11-15-2002, 10:31 AM
we are 85% residential and 15% commercial. I would like to get that ratio to 75/25.

KLMlawn
11-15-2002, 11:03 AM
I am about 90% res. and 10% commercial. I prefer more residential for most of the above reasons ... less of your "eggs" in one basket. I can also average more $$$ per hour doing smaller to medium size residentials than if I were stuck on one commercial for several hours. Plus, you have more opportunity by the fact of volume alone to upsell the residential client ...