PDA

View Full Version : Need Input - Transformer Extension

stiches9
10-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Hi all. Have yet to find info on this, so here goes...
Previous irrigation controller (ProC) intallation includes "extended" (spliced) wires between Hunter transformer and controller. This was apparently done to enable the transformer to be plugged into the 120 outlet in garage ceiling (power for gar door opener) as there is no 120 near controller. However, they extended only the 2 24V AC wires, but not the ground wire. This has resulted in a floating ground causing signal problems. Thought that I could simply add a ground, but when I talked to Hunter, they suggested they don't support or spec such a setup. Other than adding an AC outlet, any recommended solutions?

hoskm01
10-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Extension cord. Maybe not code, but better to extended through a grounded, proper cord than from the transformer down.

jvanvliet
10-04-2011, 06:31 PM
why not add the ground as long as it goes back to the grounding block in the breaker panel. Futzing around with extension cords seems bush league.

DanaMac
10-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Futzing around with extension cords seems bush league.

And splicing the transformer wires isn't?
I vote extension cord, or get an outlet added to the wall near controller.

Waterit
10-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Futzing around with extension cords seems bush league.

And splicing the transformer wires isn't?

What he said. Since this is the garage, there must be crawlspace, run the cord that way and then pop out of the wall near the controller.

Or get an electrician to install a proper grounded outlet:hammerhead:

AI Inc
10-04-2011, 07:23 PM
3 wire , done

Mike Leary
10-04-2011, 07:36 PM
This was apparently done to enable the transformer to be plugged into the 120 outlet in garage ceiling (power for gar door opener)

One of the biggest mistakes in controller installation is to wire it to a outlet that's connected to a freezer/garage door circuit; clocks should be on a dedicated circuit.

txirrigation
10-04-2011, 08:00 PM
One of the biggest mistakes in controller installation is to wire it to a outlet that's connected to a freezer/garage door circuit; clocks should be on a dedicated circuit.

Bingo, as usual.

To the origonal poster, that is very common around here. I am also located just north of austin. We splice in the low voltage wire all the time, and it is to code (because it is 24vac). Run a third wire and be done with it.

Factoring in $210 for an electriction to add a new outlet for a 24VAC wire will take you out of the install game. Most of the time the home builders put a dedicated outlet.

In my contract it clearly states that the home owner is responsible for providing power to the controller. If they dont, we splice in 16ga. low voltage irrigation wire to make the run to the garage outlet. Give the H/O an option of $210 plus your time, or $75 plus 10' of low voltage wire and see what they choose.

To add to what Leary said, the reason there needs to be an addional dedicated plug is because if it is wired to the garage and fridge it will get tripped often.

You are not an electriction but an irrigator, so if the house does not have an outlet that is the H/O problem.

Mike Leary
10-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Most of the time the home builders put a dedicated outlet. You are not an electriction but an irrigator, so if the house does not have an outlet that is the H/O problem.

"Most of the time" is never in my market unless I'm in on the ground floor. I've gone in to do a clock after the house completion and found the garage sheetrocked with a GFI outlet for me (whoopee-do). :hammerhead:

Kiril
10-04-2011, 10:20 PM
"Most of the time" is never in my market unless I'm in on the ground floor. I've gone in to do a clock after the house completion and found the garage sheetrocked with a GFI outlet for me (whoopee-do). :hammerhead:

That is because it is ridiculous to run a dedicated circuit for an irrigation timer .... and it is equally as ridiculous to have a garage with only a single circuit ..... and even more ridiculous with only a single receptacle .... and utterly foolish stupid ridiculous to splice into the low voltage side of a wall wart.

Wet_Boots
10-04-2011, 10:37 PM
some wall warts have no output wires

DanaMac
10-04-2011, 11:47 PM
I've gone in to do a clock after the house completion and found the garage sheetrocked with a GFI outlet for me (whoopee-do). :hammerhead:

Mike - that is what you would find probably 95% of the time here. Rarely an exterior outlet or J-box in a good place for a controller. It is what it is, and we have to work with it.

txirrigation
10-05-2011, 12:07 AM
For those who do not splice (I have never seen it done any different, or had any inspector balk at it) what do you do?

Every controller I see whether it was installed by my company or any other company around worth thier salt slices in controllers.

In a perfect world they would have an extended 24vac pig tail but it does not always work out that way.

Speaking of pig tails...

mitchgo
10-05-2011, 02:43 AM
I don't see more then 1.5 hours worth of work for an electrician to tap the plug in the ceiling- run wiring in a conduit to a new plug next to the controller.

Any external plugs feasable enough to move the irrigation wiring around some?

Sprinkus
10-05-2011, 09:21 AM
I'd use an extension cord. I did enough of the splicing stuff in the old days and always felt like it was a hack way to do things.
Another option is to set the controller near the outside electrical panel and have an electrician hard wire the controller to the panel.

txirrigation
10-05-2011, 10:08 AM
I'd use an extension cord. I did enough of the splicing stuff in the old days and always felt like it was a hack way to do things.
Another option is to set the controller near the outside electrical panel and have an electrician hard wire the controller to the panel.

Yeah, but they always want the controller in the garage.

I just stick to my contract. If the home owner does not choose a location for the controller that is next to a plug, it is thier resposibility to get a plug installed. If they do not, then I splice in the controller.

We have done this on new custom homes, and had electric inspecters come through the job site and they have never said a thing.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-05-2011, 10:33 AM
18-3 and a splice. I had a cable stapler just for this reason. Headache for me was sheetrock that didn't hold the staples worth a flip. Just get the wire straight and at right angles. Use a transformer that has a screw holder on it. What I detest are guys that staple one after the other and the wire is haphazardly traveling across the ceiling.