PDA

View Full Version : How to determine tow rating on truck?

Envy Lawn Service
11-08-2002, 12:29 PM
How can I determine how much weight a truck can haul and/or tow from the #'s in the door jamb???

Mykster
11-08-2002, 12:43 PM
GVWR # should tell you.

Mykster
11-08-2002, 01:31 PM
Oops, I thought you meant hauling cap.

There should be some specs on you hitch for towing cap. If not you can get the specs from your owners manual.

Envy Lawn Service
11-08-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Mykster
GVWR # should tell you.

Ok back in for a break :sleeping:

One is 4700 Lbs, the other 4100 Lbs. How do I convert that to actual hauling and towing capacities???

Gotta run! Leaves await!!! :D

Gravely_Man
11-08-2002, 02:21 PM
One word of caution on this; however you go about getting the maximum weight your vehicle can tow make sure you are licensed to carry that amount. What I am saying is that in Va. they license each vehicle at the manufactures listed weight unless you specify you want it increased. If you increase weight you pay more each time you need to renew your vehicle registration. If you do not do this the police love to pull you over check the registration see you are only licensed for the truck weight and call in the portable scales. You end up with a nice fine and have to have someone licensed to carry the additional weight come and tow the trailer away.

Gravely_Man

hosejockey2002
11-09-2002, 11:02 PM
Payload=GWVR- actual truck weight. The 4700 and 4100 lb. numbers are probably your maximum rear and front axle loads. Your tow rating is your Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) minus your trucks actual weight with passengers, accessories and payload figured in. Of course, we all push those factory limits from time to time, which is OK as long as the load handles well and you have the trailer brakes to stop it. Here in Washington they don't seem to pay much attention to the weights of pickup trucks. I think it only would become an issue if there was an accident and someone was killed or seriously hurt.