PDA

View Full Version : Blade size on Radius

Lite4
10-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Hey guys,

A quick question. I have 2 Stihl hot saws we keep on the job for cutting our paver edges before restraints or soldier courses are installed. Currently we have a 14" blade and a 12" blade installed on the saws. What size blade are you guys using for cutting smooth, 'interior' radius cuts with your cut off saws? My guys have no problem with the outside radius but they seem to bugger up the edges a bit on the interiors and I am wondering if I just need to get a smaller blade (8" or 10") for cutting these interior cuts where the turns are a bit tougher to make. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

amscapes03
10-04-2011, 08:44 PM
4 1/2" angle grinder for really small tight cuts, or a 7" angle grinder. 99% of the time i use the 7" for int. rad. cuts. Take the shield off so you can see what your cutting.

scagrider22
10-04-2011, 09:29 PM
I always use the 14". I score the line all the way around the patio about a .25" deep on the interior cuts and a little deeper every where else. I pull the pavers out to finish the cut and it will allow me to leave a radius on the paver. On a tight radius they will have to work the saw back and forth on a heavy angle about half way through the paver.

zedosix
10-04-2011, 10:30 PM
14" is all we've ever used to make all our cuts. The 16" tile saw is a bit tricky though!

OutdoorCreations
10-04-2011, 10:39 PM
We score the radius with the 14" blade and if it is too tight we use a 4 1/2" grinder.

DVS Hardscaper
10-04-2011, 10:43 PM
most of all our first class cuts are done with a table saw with a 10" blade. and we have a table saw with a 14" blade. Only under certain circumstances do we cut with the hand held.

JoeyDipetro
10-04-2011, 10:47 PM
12" blade for most full depth cuts. If radius is too tight, we score in place with the 12" blade and take the scored pavers to the saw to complete full-depth cuts.

iowa
10-05-2011, 12:40 AM
If you are trying to cut these radiuses in place without going to the table, just start like everyone is saying by scoring, then as you get the first few fully cut, take the last paver or two that you fully cut out so the back of your blade doesn't hit it as you cut the next one. We've found this to be faster with tight radii than taking them to the table. It also helps to cut at a slight angle with the quickie saw on tight radiuses (towards the inside)
Posted via Mobile Device

Lite4
10-05-2011, 07:37 AM
Thank you all for your input. I sure appreciate it. I think I am going to put a new guy on my cuts, my current guy is a little sloppy.
Posted via Mobile Device

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
10-05-2011, 05:44 PM
A good Skilsaw works, but I prefer to score and cut with a table saw or on the ground away from the patio if needed.

DVS Hardscaper
10-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Thank you all for your input. I sure appreciate it. I think I am going to put a new guy on my cuts, my current guy is a little sloppy.
Posted via Mobile Device

ok, noted.

Stillwater
10-15-2011, 02:56 AM
I remove pavers for critical cuts like inlays
Posted via Mobile Device