PDA

View Full Version : Please put in order..

SOONERS222
10-05-2011, 11:12 AM
From first to last.
1. Thatch
2. Aerate
3. Seed
4. Fertilize

Dr.NewEarth
10-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Check your pH

De-thatch before your aerate, or you are just going to be compressing the aeration plugs and holes with the de-thatcher.

Fertilize with a quality starter fertilizer or seed first. This order won't matter.

RigglePLC
10-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Seed then fertilize.

Myself, I am not sure whether or not aeration and dethatch result in more "take" of the new grass or not.
If so--guys--do you know which is more effective? What percent additional "take" is possible with aeration? With dethatching?

I need to try this as an experiment or a test...but how?

grassman177
10-07-2011, 05:32 AM
you seem occupied with testing things after you have retired, i would have done them while active in the field>!>? just an observation is all

Smallaxe
10-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Seed then fertilize.

Myself, I am not sure whether or not aeration and dethatch result in more "take" of the new grass or not.
If so--guys--do you know which is more effective? What percent additional "take" is possible with aeration? With dethatching?

I need to try this as an experiment or a test...but how?

Aeration doesn't do anything in less then 3 passes and 'dethatch' will depend on what you are digging up... I like to have the dead grass cover for the seed, rather than rip it all up and replace with straw...

jbell36
10-11-2011, 09:44 PM
my biggest question is about the thatch...i always like to get all of it out, because if you don't you will have a lot on top after you verticut/slit seed...i don't like clumps of thatch to take place of straw...i also will not use straw, absolutely hate it, if you cut your seed in then the straw in not necessary...just my opinion...

1.) scalp mow/ bag
2.) dethatch/ and mow/bag again
3.) aerate two times
4.) slit seed two diff. directions (depending on how much needs to be seeded)
5.) sometimes broadcast (depending on how good i feel with coverage)
6.) rake in edges with seed
7.) starter fert

the verticutting after aerating helps break up the clumps creating a great seed bed

if i wasn't so pressed for time on all of our reseeds i would get a ph test...always had great luck with top dressing as well but that's another expense, labor intensive, and you have to bring it with u in a truck or dump bed which takes up space where clippings could be...

i don't always do every step on every yard but i feel like this is a great program...

jbell36
10-11-2011, 09:55 PM
i'm curious as to what others do or have to say...some people seed before aerating, put start fert down before seed, etc....anybody have a program that works for them that is a little different?

do keep in mind that i'm strictly talking about TTTFescue in my area...people in the south might have a much different de thatching method