PDA

View Full Version : 2000 chevy silverado

Larson Lawn Care
10-05-2011, 11:47 AM
I have my 2000 chevy silverado 1500 in the shop for a transmission rebuild. It has a 5.3L V8 and 4 wheel drive. Since I haul mowers everyday, I was wondering if there are upgrades or kits that would help extend the life of the transmission, to help pull the weight and maybe help with fuel economy. I was looking online and found a trans go kit, transmission cooler and there were a few other things. Have you ever upgraded your transmission/engine or anything else to help haul and prevent damage to anything on the truck? What would you recommend I add to the truck?

THIESSENS TLC
10-05-2011, 12:08 PM
Not sure what to get for the tranny, but I just put on a K&N cold air intake about 2 months ago, and it is a big difference. I was used to getting 575-600kms per tank, now im gettin 650-660kms. plus an extra 18hp at 4900rpms, which i dont see cause im not flyin around. just got it to improve gas mileage...the added power is there if you need it though! cost me around $330.00 takes about an hour to install yourself. hope this helps

ReddensLawnCare
10-05-2011, 12:23 PM
I have an 02 and after the second tranny I put a new one in with a beefed up sungear, shift kit, and cooler plus a few minor things. You will like the difference. If you don't want to use a shift kit, get ur mechanic to increase the line pressure
Posted via Mobile Device

poolboy
10-05-2011, 03:26 PM
The transmission cooler will make a difference, and you should have one if you're doing anytime of hauling or towing.

nismothunder
10-05-2011, 08:17 PM
The faster it shifts the longer an auto will survive. The cooler it runs the longer it will survive, etc. So you will want a shift kit, and cooler.

If your trucks a z71 it should already have a factory K&N intake on it, (buddys Avalance and neighbors reg cab 3500 8.1 both had factory ones) If not, a drop in filter will do.

Swampy
10-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Trans cooler, Bigger Trans pan, Trans temp gauge, Billet Torque Converter. Thats what I dropped in my Chevy K3500, which is also a plow truck to.

Larson Lawn Care
10-06-2011, 02:39 AM
I'm definitely going to get the cold air intake (Either K&N or Airaid) installed and trans cooler (if not already on there). I still need to do some research on the shift kits, I'd like to know pros and cons.

unkownfl
10-06-2011, 10:37 PM
What happened to the trans hard or soft parts?

Swampy
10-07-2011, 12:19 AM
I'm definitely going to get the cold air intake (Either K&N or Airaid) installed and trans cooler (if not already on there). I still need to do some research on the shift kits, I'd like to know pros and cons.

I'd get at least a transmission temp gauge so you can see how hot it is getting. Its a easy visual check, transmission + to much heat = excessive wear.