PDA

View Full Version : Per brick pricing on retaining wall

corban
11-08-2002, 06:08 PM
I have a job of removing an existing retaining wall (just placing bricks to the side) and putting it back. The foundation of the house is cracking and has to be fixed. The wall has to be removed in order to fix the foundation. These are the larger bricks (about 12" wide, 30 lb.) It is only 3 bricks tall and about 20 ft. long. There are roughly 150 bricks total. Right now I'm thinking of charging $1 per brick to remove and 2$ per brick to put back. I may charge 3$ per brick on the base. Also, the original installer placed them on just dirt. Should I put gravel on the base before I reinstall? I am new to this type of job. Please help.

IBGreen
11-09-2002, 01:45 PM
You should charge at least $5 a block to install. That way all of your expenses are covered.

Brandon Shaw
Evergreen Landscaping Concepts

corban
11-10-2002, 04:33 AM
I have no expenses. The bricks are already there. I just move them out for the bob cat and put them back when he is done.

Henry
11-10-2002, 09:26 AM
After that bobcat is done you won't be able to just put them back. The machine will most likely make a mess of the area. Yes you should set them on a stone base and that will be an expense.

Lanelle
11-10-2002, 04:59 PM
What is the wall retaining? If the Bobcat has dug out dirt around the foundation, who is going to put it back and grade it properly? My guess is that you will end up doing that after you get the wall in place. More time and cost. And definitely use a compacted CA-6 base.

dschulte
11-10-2002, 07:02 PM
What is a compacted ca 6 base?

PAPS
11-10-2002, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by dschulte
What is a compacted ca 6 base?

CA-6 = crushed limestone aggregate with fines. ;)

dschulte
11-11-2002, 07:13 PM
Stupid question but where do you buy that? Im putting in 400 or so landscape bricks next week and should I use that as a base? My neighbor wants some shrubs planted with a two brich high edge. Nothing fancy about 20 feet long.

PAPS
11-11-2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by dschulte
Stupid question but where do you buy that? Im putting in 400 or so landscape bricks next week and should I use that as a base? My neighbor wants some shrubs planted with a two brich high edge. Nothing fancy about 20 feet long.

You can find it at most quarries, but Quarry Process (QP) will work fine for any base associated with pavers, blocks, retaining wall stone... etc.

SCL
11-12-2002, 09:25 AM
dschulte,
sounds like you're putting in more of a flower bed border than a retaining wall. No base required if thats the case. Just trench and hand lay.
Corban,
You are installing a wall and should therefore install as one. Laneele was right with the base, you need to charge for a wall install. Take whatever you charge for walls, normally $20 to $30 a foot, and subtract the price of the rock. I'd get between $12 and $15 a foot to install, depending on whether its base or just wall stacking. Good Luck

KCLandscape
12-29-2002, 08:25 PM
Hey, Im in KC and have been doing walls for about 10 yrs. Because of the wide weather potential (freeze/thaw, drought ect)
at least a 4-6 inch base of AB-3(ground limestone) is worth the money and time, unless you want it to fall down in the next 10 yrs or so...

Acorn
01-08-2003, 07:59 PM
we couldn't even consider the option of no base here. We get frost heaving that can easily be 3-4". Minimum base required here is 6" usually put 8-12". Had one customer that requested 3' with an R20 hard foam insulation close to the top for his walkway pavers. It was a wheelchair access ramp so it had to come flush with the base of the door that swong out over the pavers.

MPhillips
01-10-2003, 02:43 PM
It really does sound like it's not an actual "retaining wall" but more of a decorative structure. I wouldn't think a compacted base would be required, but it'll need to be rough leveled before the stacking could begin. I'd be thinking more in terms of an hourly rate for something like this or a daily rate. This sounds like the kind of job that initially appears to be a very simple task, but very quickly can become complicated...just having to coordinate work, clean-up after another contractor adds a layer of bidding complexity. Good luck

imalandscper
01-16-2003, 09:52 PM
I charge and hourly rate of $28 per SQUARE foot. i you just put foot then no mater how high you go then it is all the same!

Tim Canavan
01-18-2003, 06:54 PM
Charge her an hourly or per brick on the removal. Then tell her you have to wait and see what it looks like when the foundation people are done. You don't want to quote something and then get screwed after the foundation repair is done.

imalandscper
01-18-2003, 08:25 PM
Sorry i meant Per SQ FT not hourly

LawnsRUsInc.
01-22-2003, 11:35 AM
We charge 20 dollars per sq ft here and it seems to work out fine that is for jobs that require little excavation and put the wall up with at least 6-8 inches of crushed limestone its like 10 dollars a ton here at contractors cost and make sure for the wall you put at least 12 inches of limstone chips in the back for back fill if you want pics i have the complete list and order on the proper way to do it we started with a new home came in with my backhoe and left with a wall that my crew built in four days that was 75 feet by 9 feet tall and make sure that if it is a good idea and it shows clients that you know what the heck you are doing put riantile c and draintile caps behind the wall this will hekp disperse water around the wall instead of through it any ?s and make sure you take your time on the botom layer go through it with a level first pack and level the trafic bond and place brick down one at a time make sure that if you cant afford a lazer level you use guide lines in front and back and the compacter you can use a gas powered compacter (rent one) or its also easy to use a hand one they are like 20 bucks i will help you if more?s we have built over 30 block walls 2002 season