PDA

View Full Version : cobblestone edging

FerrisDiesel
10-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Hey all, quick question for ya. I have a customer that wants to do cobblestone edging around a bunch of flower beds. Should I just lay them in there? Or should I lay them in concrete? I mean, its just around flower beds, I shouldn't need concrete......or should I?

Swampy
10-05-2011, 07:18 PM
NO concerte, YES lay on stone base.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
10-05-2011, 10:03 PM
NO concerte, YES lay on stone base.

I beg to differ. I always lay mine in a 2-3 inch bed of concrete. I do it to make install time very quick. Also to help some stone from soaking up moisture and popping in our cold winters. I have some edging in the ground going on 10 years now. Cut in control joints to help the cracking and moving.

Swampy
10-05-2011, 10:55 PM
I beg to differ. I always lay mine in a 2-3 inch bed of concrete. I do it to make install time very quick. Also to help some stone from soaking up moisture and popping in our cold winters. I have some edging in the ground going on 10 years now. Cut in control joints to help the cracking and moving.

It may be different since your more southern then here in WI, but I've seen concrete curbing or edging like this. 2 to 3 years and all over the place let alone that wandering tree root.

But hey to each their own. The way I see it plants get bigger, thus beds need to get bigger.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
10-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Yea I agree, and tree roots are another topic.

P.L.
10-06-2011, 09:11 PM
I find it quicker and eaiser to set cobbles in mortar becuase if it's mixed right you can adjust them with a few taps. I usally use very little around planting beds because like it was said plants get bigger and so do the beds, having to remove cobbles set in cement makes adjusting the beds suck.