PDA

View Full Version : RIP Steve Jobs

Mike Leary
10-05-2011, 10:25 PM
I just heard he died; if it was not for for him, I'd be not the pest on the forum that I am. My kind of guy, they don't make many of them. :cry:

Wet_Boots
10-05-2011, 10:28 PM
we think you'd be a pest anyway :)

Mike Leary
10-05-2011, 11:38 PM
"Stay hungry, stay foolish".

DanaMac
10-05-2011, 11:43 PM
Incredible mind and ideas. Too early to lose an icon.
Posted via Mobile Device

irrig8r
10-06-2011, 02:17 AM
I worked on his sprinkler system when he lived on Santa Rita in Palo Alto about 15 years ago. Rainmaster controller. Lots of repair work cuz he hired an English gardener who ignored the system when redesigning the garden and watered by hand. LOTS of broken 12"pop-ups, pipes full of holes from digging forks, etc. Spent about a week restoring the system.
Posted via Mobile Device

UfoPilot
10-06-2011, 03:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UF8uR6Z6KLc#

jvanvliet
10-06-2011, 06:28 AM
Apparently pancreatic cancer: I-SAD

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-06-2011, 10:03 AM
Never owned a PC and I hope I never have to. Apple was my entry into the computer world and Steve Jobs was Apple. Dude had the vision thing working for him. Shook up the computer industry. Shook up the music world. Shook up the cell phone industry. Maybe the greatest CEO of our lifetime.

Kiril
10-06-2011, 10:04 AM
They are all "PC's" Pete, the difference is the OS and hardware that is over priced.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-06-2011, 10:18 AM
PC is generally understood to mean non-Apple by Apple users.

Kiril
10-06-2011, 10:23 AM
PC is generally understood (by people who have a clue) as a "personal computer", which covers a wide variety of computers. Doesn't surprise me that the elite Apple users need to differentiate between their POS computers and some other POS computer. Must be another one of those "VAN" things .... or maybe it is a TX thing.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Kiril is the guy on the screen. Makes me so happy to know Apple pizzes him off.

9pTHlG8USUg

Kiril
10-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Why would Apple piss me off? Never owned an Apple .... never will. I can build a far better computer that is incredibly stable at nearly half the price of a "comparable" Apple. If you like throwing away your money on a half eaten apple and supporting the Chinese economy then go for it.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-06-2011, 10:34 AM
Go into business building them and become a multi-millionaire and quit wasting time with us half breeds Mr. stable computer elitist.....

hoskm01
10-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Too young to die. Not an Apple fan, just not my gig, but a sad story for a modern icon.

Kiril
10-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Go into business building them and become a multi-millionaire and quit wasting time with us half breeds Mr. stable computer elitist.....

OK Mr. I own an Apple so I am better than everyone else. :rolleyes:

FoghornLeghorn
10-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Why would Apple piss me off? Never owned an Apple .... never will. I can build a far better computer that is incredibly stable at nearly half the price of a "comparable" Apple. If you like throwing away your money on a half eaten apple and supporting the Chinese economy then go for it.

If this were true, you wouldn't be on a lawn forum talking smack about computers, you'd be sailing your yacht off the coast of Australia, having Swedish models rub your feet while you design these ""incredibly stable" computers.

Jeez, go cut a lawn or something.

Kiril
10-06-2011, 10:50 AM
If this were true, you wouldn't be on a lawn forum talking smack about computers, you'd be sailing your yacht off the coast of Australia, having Swedish models rub your feet while you design these ""incredibly stable" computers.

Jeez, go cut a lawn or something.

If you can build with lego's you can build a computer ..... guess you can't build with legos .... but I guess you can mow grass given your "impressive" list of equipment. Here's my list of equipment.

------------------------------------------
Tonka Dump Truck
Hot Wheels Trick Tracks Bionic Bash
Autobot Wheelie
Autobot Optimus Prime (for long hauls) :weightlifter:
Autobot Ironhide :cool:
Melissa & Doug Clicker Crab Pail and Shovel
John Deere Sand Bucket and Shovel with Gator and Tractor
Little Tikes Gas 'n Go Mower
Little Helper Broom Set ----- (blowers are for hacks)
Little Tikes Zebra Sand Sifter Topper Set
Toysmith 2296 Kid's Gardening Hand Tool Set
Radio Flyer All-Terrain Steel and Wood Wagon
Radio Flyer Big Red Classic Atw
Razor Rip-Rider 360 Drifting Ride-On ..... PRIZED POSSESSION :dancing:
John Deere - 21" Big Scoop Dump Truck
John Deere 1:16 7430 Tractor with Duals
John Deere 1:16 7430 Tractor with Loader
John Deere 1:16 200DLC Excavator
John Deere Dumping Wagon
Bruder CATERPILLAR Skid Steer Loader
Bruder CATERPILLAR Track-Type tractor
Bruder Loader Backhoe
Paul Frank Helmet and Bike Bell
Little Tikes Push & Ride Racer (for sale ... fast .... best offer)

irrig8r
10-06-2011, 11:12 AM
If you can build with lego's you can build a computer ..... guess you can't build with legos .... but I guess you can mow grass given your "impressive" list of equipment. Here's my list of equipment.

Tonka Dump Truck
Autobot Wheelie
Autobot Ironhide :cool:
Melissa & Doug Clicker Crab Pail and Shovel
John Deere Sand Bucket and Shovel with Gator and Tractor
Little Tikes Gas 'n Go Mower
Little Helper Broom Set ----- (blowers are for hacks)
Little Tikes Zebra Sand Sifter Topper Set
Toysmith 2296 Kid's Gardening Hand Tool Set
Radio Flyer All-Terrain Steel and Wood Wagon
Radio Flyer Big Red Classic Atw
Razor Rip-Rider 360 Drifting Ride-On ..... PRIZED POSSESSION :dancing:
John Deere - 21" Big Scoop Dump Truck
John Deere 1:16 7430 Tractor with Duals
John Deere 1:16 7430 Tractor with Loader
John Deere 1:16 200DLC Excavator
John Deere Dumping Wagon
Bruder CATERPILLAR Skid Steer Loader
Bruder CATERPILLAR Track-Type tractor
Bruder Loader Backhoe
Paul Frank Helmet and Bike Bell
Little Tikes Push & Ride Racer (for sale ... fast .... best offer)

Now that was the funniest thing I've ever seen you post Kiril.

Love that list. :laugh:

Nice comeback!

Meanwhile, you and Pete can go 'round and 'round, but it won't change either of your opinions.

Steve Jobs' contribution to Apple was inspiration and leadership. He ripped off ideas from Xerox PARC and put them into products that were accessible and pretty reliable. He also had a reputation for being pretty demanding and not "suffering fools gladly."

He gave others in the industry targets to aspire to.

I use an Android phone, not an iPhone. I haven't swallowed the Apple Kool-Aid, but I don't think my phone would have been made if it didn't have the iPhone to compete with.

Jobs is quoted as saying some thing like "don't spend your life living someone else's dream"... which is great for artists, entrepeneurs and other non-conformists. Ironically, companies like Apple rely on some number of people doing just that, assembling the products that they dream up in low wage operations overseas.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-06-2011, 11:30 AM
I'd definitely prefer they be assembling them in low wage jobs in Mexico. If you want to sell in China they make you build in China. As for Xerox they have no one to blame but themselves.

A list of all the parts in an IPhone and what country is responsible.

iPhone Primary Contractors - a partial list Software and design Apple USA
Assembly Foxconn?, Quanta, Unknown Taiwan
TFT-LCD Screen Sanyo Epson, Sharp, TMD Japan
Video processor chip Samsung Korea
Touch screen overlay Balda Germany
Bluetooth chip Cambridge Silicon Radio UK
Chip manufacture TSMC, UMC Taiwan
Baseband IC Infineon Technology Germany
WIFI Chip Marvell USA
Touch screen control chip Broadcom USA
CMOS chip Micron USA
NOR Flash ICs Intel, SST USA
Display Driver chip National Semi, Novatek US, TW
Case, Mechanical parts Catcher, Foxconn Tech Taiwan
Camera lens Largan Precision Taiwan
Camera module Altus-Tech, Primax, Lite On Taiwan
Battery Charger Delta Electronics Taiwan
Timing Crystal TXC Taiwan
Passive components Cyntec Taiwan
Connector and cables Cheng Uei, Entery Taiwan

Kiril
10-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Steve Jobs' contribution to Apple was inspiration and leadership. He ripped off ideas from Xerox PARC and put them into products that were accessible and pretty reliable. He also had a reputation for being pretty demanding and not "suffering fools gladly."

He gave others in the industry targets to aspire to.

Let's not limit ourselves to just ripping off Xerox .... OS X is essentially built on top of BSD and let's not mention their use of KHTML in safari .... :rolleyes: That is just the tip of the iceberg. Apple is well known for riding on the backs of the open source community. While Job's certainly was a great contributor to the computer industry, let's not forget where much of the Apple "innovation" came from.

Kiril
10-06-2011, 11:36 AM
I'd definitely prefer they be assembling them in low wage jobs in Mexico. If you want to sell in China they make you build in China. As for Xerox they have no one to blame but themselves.

ROLF .... talk about double standards. Aren't you the one who is always mouthing off about products made in china? Here's a little eye opener for you ... since you apparently have never heard of Foxconn.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/government/is-apples-suicide-factory-outsourcing-to-even-cheaper-chinese-peasants/9537

I applaud you for your support of Apple .... :clapping: :rolleyes:

hoskm01
10-06-2011, 12:33 PM

[list=0] Tonka Dump Truck
Autobot Wheelie

Watched part of Transformers last night where Prime got hacked up in the forest; brought a tear to my eye.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ0uItzrrnkYBpe3jH3aelfFQluFH-iwQUFd_OH27647K37aQs5xGzA5elcSg

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
10-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Let's not limit ourselves to just ripping off Xerox .... OS X is essentially built on top of BSD and let's not mention their use of KHTML in safari .... :rolleyes: That is just the tip of the iceberg. Apple is well known for riding on the backs of the open source community. While Job's certainly was a great contributor to the computer industry, let's not forget where much of the Apple "innovation" came from.

OSX is also based on a significant portion of the NeXT Operating system.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Foxconn is a Taiwanese company and you'd expect them to have little regard for the lives of Chinese on the mainland. Here is a list of clients. I'd say those suicides are on everybody's hands not just Apple users.

* Apple Inc. (United States)[16]
* Acer Inc. (Taiwan)
* Amazon.com (United States)[17]
* Asus (Taiwan)
* ASRock (Taiwan)
* Intel (United States)
* Cisco (United States)
* Hewlett-Packard (United States)[18]
* Dell (United States)
* Nintendo (Japan)
* Nokia (Finland)[16]
* Microsoft (United States)
* MSI (Taiwan)
* Motorola (United States)
* Sony Ericsson (Japan/Sweden)[19]
* Vizio (United States)

Wet_Boots
10-06-2011, 01:44 PM
no Linux dollars to Foxconn - I'm in the clear :)

Kiril
10-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Foxconn is a Taiwanese company and you'd expect them to have little regard for the lives of Chinese on the mainland. Here is a list of clients. I'd say those suicides are on everybody's hands not just Apple users.

Whatever you need to tell yourself Mr. Double Standards.

Mike Leary
10-06-2011, 02:16 PM
No thanks to some of you for wrecking a thread that was meant to be a tribute to a smart cookie, not a diatribe about offshore manufacturing. :hammerhead:

Wet_Boots
10-06-2011, 02:37 PM
the question is more about what Steve Jobs represented to some people - computers and phones existed long before Apple came to be, and the company is simply not relevant to a lot of folks

Mike Leary
10-06-2011, 02:47 PM
I think what he'll be remembered for is bringing communication and mass information to people (like me) that would not have gotten into this cyber-world, at all. Without his visions and ease of an operating system, unlike my NW buddy, Bill Gates, tons of folks would still be using a dial phone.

Wet_Boots
10-06-2011, 03:00 PM
If it weren't for that accursed voice mail, I would still have a dial phone.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Not relevant? Much of what you use computer and cell phone wise was driven by the need to keep up with Apple. Right now they are desperately trying to come up with items to compete with the Macair and IPad. With Jobs at the helm Apple has been a company with vision while the rest of the industry has become commodity items based on price. A Dell is a HP is an IBM..... YAWN.......

Wet_Boots
10-06-2011, 04:14 PM
Basic functionality predates anything Apple. Or PC and Microsoft, too. Much of what is in the market is bells and whistles.

ARGOS
10-06-2011, 05:00 PM
I think the analogy of Jobs is our eras Edison is accurate.

Wet_Boots
10-06-2011, 06:33 PM
I think Jobs does connect with the concept of visionary thinking, even if today's inventing will never be on a par with the electric light or the telephone.

Mike Leary
10-06-2011, 07:03 PM
He sold quality, expensive stuff, with a brilliant marketing strategy that included "Apple Stores", which are one of the coolest places to go if you're an "Apple Core".

BrandonV
10-06-2011, 07:13 PM
he IS the modern day edison. lets not forget edison's system was DC AC was Tesla. But edison was the marketing genius that put it all together in a package we could all use. Apple still build the best computer systems if not the best hardware. You're guaranteed they'll work. I am the proud owner of close to 12 apple computers all of which still work, my IIGS will still fire up and run my old copy of skate or die. Lets not forget this is also the man who brought us FONTS!

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Plus Forrest Gump got rich buying Apple stock. Well actually Lt Dan did for him.
Posted via Mobile Device

unit28
10-06-2011, 09:00 PM
without ethno-computing there would be no apples
sorry my native brothers, still no respect

BTW I thank sim cards for their GPS tracking capabilities
and plasma.

Turning plasma into energy on a multi functioning scale will be recognised in a unilateral configuration. Much like how we now distribute water through irrigation pipes.

What's cool about that is things like a chevy volt will finally come alive, computers will run faster and my pizza will finally be cooked in under .0825 seconds.

Mike Leary
10-06-2011, 09:10 PM
without ethno-computing there would be no apples
sorry my native brothers, still no respect

BTW I thank sim cards for their GPS tracking capabilities
and plasma.

Turning plasma into energy on a multi functioning scale will be recognised in a unilateral configuration. Much like how we now distribute water through irrigation pipes.

What's cool about that is things like a chevy volt will finally come alive, computers will run faster and my pizza will finally be cooked in under .0825 seconds.

Roll another one for me, bro. for what it's worth.

unit28
10-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Roll another one for me, bro. for what it's worth.

hmm, not a fan of indigenous physics I see.

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Dream on. Government motors chevy volts and steve jobs in the same thread are like hitler and a jew playing golf together.
Posted via Mobile Device

irrig8r
10-06-2011, 10:53 PM
Dream on. Government motors chevy volts and steve jobs in the same thread are like hitler and a jew playing golf together.
Posted via Mobile Device

Or maybe like Hank Williams Jr. and Pres. Obama singing kumbaya together.

hoskm01
10-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Or Mike Leary buying a sprinkler rep lunch.

hoskm01
10-07-2011, 12:06 AM
The legacy goes on...

http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/53500/iCasket--53843.jpg

unit28
10-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

But the conventional use of Plasma Widgets would have brought them closer to the round table. I believe that KDE code integration would have been a great link.

muddywater
10-07-2011, 06:45 PM
I woke up at 3am last night to make sure I got the Iphone 4s.(preorder) Nothing like this technology. I liked Jobs abrasive personality. Being brutally honest is a trait I wish I could hone.

Mike Leary
10-07-2011, 06:49 PM
I liked Jobs abrasive personality. Being brutally honest is a trait I wish I could hone.

Work on it. I had a couple of clients that worked for Jobs and they said he was a huge pain, but got his way, and was right most of the time.

muddywater
10-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Work on it. I had a couple of clients that worked for Jobs and they said he was a huge pain, but got his way, and was right most of the time.

Yes two of my good friends are 30 years older than me and it seems that they have perfected brutal honesty. They kind of remind of you. Either that or yall are just old crotchety men... that have delt with an incredible amount of bullsh!t in their lifetimes, but I have respect for people that tell it like it is. Often times it works out better for both parties.

Mike Leary
10-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Yes two of my good friends are 30 years older than me and it seems that they have perfected brutal honesty. They kind of remind of you. Either that or yall are just old crotchety men... that have delt with an incredible amount of bullsh!t in their lifetimes, but I have respect for people that tell it like it is. Often times it works out better for both parties.

Good points. I started out taking everything that came my way. Over the years, it did not get much easier because all my work came from referrals; LAs, designers,lawn crews, etc. If I alienated any of them, I'd have lost the train. The bottom line, if you are in it for the design/install/maintain gig, is to meet the clients and see if you're going to get along with them. Long after the referrals, you're the last guy, and no one likes to work for assholes. :nono:

Wet_Boots
10-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Steve Jobs interview in Playboy (http://www.playboy.com/magazine/playboy-interview-steve-jobs?cm_sp=WEBHP-_-MSPTP01-_-playboy-interview-steve-jobs)

Mike Leary
10-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the post, Boots, I read the whole article. Hope others read it also. :clapping:

Kiril
10-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Long after the referrals, you're the last guy, and no one likes to work for assholes. :nono:

Screw you ................................. dick. :laugh:

Mike Leary
10-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Screw you ................................. dick. :laugh:

Hmm, I must be too sober to understand the comment. :dizzy:

hoskm01
10-07-2011, 11:48 PM
Get after it!

Kiril
10-07-2011, 11:49 PM

liJiNviZdWs

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-08-2011, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the post, Boots, I read the whole article. Hope others read it also. :clapping:

Ditto..
That article was the definition of vision. The other thing was his enthusiasm. You can be a jerk of a boss but enthusiasm with vision is always contagious.

Mike Leary
10-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Ditto..
That article was the definition of vision. The other thing was his enthusiasm. You can be a jerk of a boss but enthusiasm with vision is always contagious.

I'm not sure who invented the term "my way or the highway", but Steve certainly personified that. Self-employed contractors can learn from his "caustic" attitude; perfection was all he was after, damn the torpedoes. :clapping: