PDA

View Full Version : Hiring Question

Jeremiah Dyke
10-05-2011, 11:13 PM
I have a pretty healthy supply of college workers where I live whom I typically hire out of my classroom (once I get to know their work ethic )for some of the projects I'm involved in as well as my lawn business. College students are typically hard workers but have odd schedules that can be unreliable. With this is mind, let me pitch an idea to you in hopes for some feedback. About ½ of my accounts over the past summer were small yards, ¼ of an acre or less. My idea is to purchase two sets of self-propelled mowers, weedeaters and blowers and pay students by the hour plus milage for using their own truck to haul the equipment to and from sites.

I've already thought of some potential flaws but maybe you can help me think of some more.

Problem 1) Students joy ride on my time and milage:
Potential Solution: Map out the routes for them and only pay them for milage to and from the sites.

Problem 2) Students working too slow or goofing off on their cell phones:
Potential Solution: Have students text me when they arrive at the site and when the leave a site.

Problem 3) Stealing Customers
Potential Solution: Have students sign a no compete contract

Problem 4) Equipment Storage:
PS: Have students store equipment at designated area

dahammer
10-06-2011, 12:06 PM
From reading through your problems & solutions, it sounds to me like you don't trust them. If that is the case, then don't hire them. All you should have to do is let them know that you'll be checking up on them from time to time, by actually checking up on them from time to time, and that should keep them honest. If it doesn't, then look for someone else.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
10-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Hauling your equipment with their vehicle wouldn't sit well with me as far as lettering and representation
Although I have to say there are allot of kids running around out there with nicer trucks than mine!
Posted via Mobile Device

JimmyTheGlove
10-06-2011, 02:07 PM
You could run into problems if a kid gets into an accident or gets pulled over. I guess since their vehicle wouldn't necessarily be considered a work truck, I'm not sure how it would play out.
Restaurants that offer delivery (like Dominos) do exactly what you are suggesting. It seems to work out just fine for them. If I were you, I'd give it a shot. What's the worst that could happen?

ed2hess
10-06-2011, 10:16 PM
If you can find these guys why not just consider them subs and pay them a fixed amount for cutting each yard. Rent the equipment to them if they don't have their own. A few companies are doing that around our area.

Darryl G
10-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Sounds like a bad plan to have them working unsupervised with their own vehicles.

NussoTextiles
10-07-2011, 03:27 PM
I run a pillow factory in toronto and find the only way to ensure staff is working reliably is to have someone you trust present at all times. Its worth it to pay that guy more to police the other guys.

easy-lift guy
10-09-2011, 09:39 AM
Your source for employment should not revolve around your helps schedule. You are the boss and they work for you on your schedule only. Going over your Four problems in order:
1. Students Joy riding on my time and mileage?, Solution: Allow your help the chance to do the job right in the first place. First infraction, your FIRED!
2. Students working to slow or goofing off on their cell phones?, Solution If your help has a cell phone they would not be able to use it during working hours.
3. Stealing customers?, If you are that insecure about managing your accounts do them all yourself.
4. Equipment Storage?, Your help would as a matter of fact store all equipment in a designated area in the first place. I would also suggest that you refer to your "students" as help or employees, The term students leads one to believe that you are a teacher or prof, which you may be but the term "students" is less than professional.
Remember your employees or help only work for you and once this has been established by both parties thing will go much easier.
PS, Never let your employees use their own transport with your equipment, You will have very big problems and possible be out of business very fast or worse.
easy-lift guy

justanotherlawnguy
10-11-2011, 08:51 PM
This is the stupidest business idea ever!!! College kids running your lawn biz out of their cars.

You obviously have zero lawn biz experience, much less any idea how to run a lawn biz.

Go do it all yourself!!
Posted via Mobile Device

JDiepstra
10-11-2011, 09:25 PM
That also seems kinda effed up to hire your students. Conflict of interest? Favorites? Grade bias? I dunno...........

FoghornLeghorn
10-12-2011, 01:04 AM
Jeremiah, this whole idea screams half-assed and poorly planned. Go back to the drawing board. Buy a $3500 Ford Ranger and hire some unemployed Americans.

There are no shortcuts to success

elitelawnteam1
10-13-2011, 12:21 AM
This is the stupidest business idea ever!!! College kids running your lawn biz out of their cars.

You obviously have zero lawn biz experience, much less any idea how to run a lawn biz.

Go do it all yourself!!
Posted via Mobile Device

I knew this was gonna be another controversial thread. I've read threads started by him before, and he has NO CLUE

Don't quit your dayjob pal

WorldsStrongestLandscaper
10-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Seems like a joke. Just not a very smart business plan if it's real !
Posted via Mobile Device

StihlMechanic
10-14-2011, 04:01 AM
i like turtles

205mx
10-18-2011, 09:19 AM
A good way to do it is to drop the pay and offer bonuses for the amount of cuts and the gage of quality. Pay them what they are worth.

Also, Check out this book; EntreLeadership.

205mx
10-18-2011, 09:20 AM
Jeremiah, this whole idea screams half-assed and poorly planned. Go back to the drawing board. Buy a $3500 Ford Ranger and hire some unemployed Americans.

There are no shortcuts to success\\

ahhh...... X2 !!!

205mx
10-18-2011, 09:23 AM
If you can find these guys why not just consider them subs and pay them a fixed amount for cutting each yard. Rent the equipment to them if they don't have their own. A few companies are doing that around our area.

I have two guys that do that for me. They handle yards that are too far for me to drive to. they live close to them so they hand them and I pay them a percentage. Let them sorta be their own boss. whether they want to make good money per hour is then up to them.