PDA

View Full Version : Speedzone or Trimec Classic this fall?

Teach123
10-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Seeded late August with 80/20 KBG-Rye of high quality. Most has germinated and is filling in. But, due to thatching, aeration, and slit-seeding a bunch o' clover sprouted in the bare areas.

What would be better to kill the clover? Speedzone or Trimec. The new grass is roughly 2 inches in most spots...KBG a little lower. I want to simply spot treat those clumps of clover that is most likely crowding out some new grass.

Temps this weekend are going to be in the low 80's/50's. Light winds. Any recommendations? I would like to hit it when the temps are higher since herbs work better with a little heat.

Thanks guys.

RigglePLC
10-07-2011, 12:00 PM
I say go with the Trimec Classic. The carfentrazone contained in the Speedzone does almost nothing for clover. Don't fall for the sales pitch. Some sticker might help a bit, as clover is hard to wet. Go easy --its new grass.

Teach123
10-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Thanks Riggle!

vencops
10-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Riggle....

Maybe something's weird, here. But, the speedzone smoked clover in my yard (to my wife's dismay). It was shriveled up in 2 days.

Interestingly enough, Drive XLR8 label lists clover as one of the weeds it controls. I sprayed the Drive on a customer's crabgrass with wonderful results. He had 2 small patches of white clover that I sprayed with the drive while I was there.

Nothing.

Speedzone'd the clover, later. Smoked.

RigglePLC
10-08-2011, 11:18 PM
Ven, your contradictory results are indeed mysterious. Different time, different applicator, different state.
I treated some clover on July 30, 2011 with Drive. It worked very well on the crabgrass. And also on the clover, according to my notes on August 3rd. But you used Speedzone which also includes the ingredients in Trimec, with the 2,4-D as an ethylhexyl ester.
http://www.pbigordon.com/pdfs/SpeedZone-SL.pdf

I will revise my opinion of carfentrazone(Quicksilver) on clover. In my test where it was sprayed Oct 3, 2011, I have upgraded the results to "fair" action on clover as a herbicide, by Oct 8th. Quicksilver killed nearby dandelions perfectly. Also killed smartweed, and garlic mustard. Near zero effect on spurge, nutsedge, oak tree, mulberry tree, and poison ivy. Most of the resisitant weeds were at a mature stage.

Anybody else have results to report on Speedzone? Quicksilver? Drive on clover?

Teach123
10-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Riggle and Vencops: I have a speedzone report:

After reading both of your posts, I mulled it over and used Speedzone. I think it was vencops use of the word "smoked" that enticed me!

I sprayed 1 gallon over 1000 ft2 (used 1.8 oz. of speedzone in that gallon) yesterday at approximately noon. Temp was 81 and relative hum. was 51 %. A little windy (13 mph).

As of 10:30 today, I can see visual damage to the clover. Much of the clover has turned a muted green color and is most of the canopy is starting to wilt. However, I am a little nervous that if the Speedzone is working this quickly, my new grass seedlings will suffer some damage as well. So far, nothing, but should I turn the ole' rainbirds on and give it some water?

Very interesting results and research here!

RigglePLC
10-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Carfentrazone (and similar PPO products like sulfentrazone and pyraflufen[Octane]), act very quickly--sometimes within hours. The don't do much for mature weeds or roots.

How new was the new grass? I doubt that water would reverse any effects.

http://www.fmcprosolutions.com/Portals/pest/Content/Docs/Labels/QuickSilver%20T_O%20Herbicide%20Moss%20Control%20Supplemental%20Label%2010-06-C.pdf

Carfentrazone as Quicksilver is OK to use according to the label 7 days after new grass emergence. But of course the Speedzone label suggests wait until second mowing.

vencops
10-10-2011, 12:02 AM
I used 1.5oz/gal. with 1/2oz. 820 surfactant.

My lawn isn't irrigated....and the app. was made about 1mos. ago (2wks. prior to over-seed).

Interestingly, it took an additional app. of the same mix to kill wild strawberry. The 1st app. seemingly did nothing.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
10-10-2011, 12:11 AM
new lawn I dont spray them till next spring can be hard on the new grass

Teach123
10-10-2011, 04:37 PM
So far so good on new grass. No visual damage thus far. Knocking on wood as we speak.