PDA

View Full Version : help with designing blow out baffle

Envy Lawn Service
11-09-2002, 12:32 AM
I don't know why. But now I have a blow out problem I can't rid myself of. I think there has been a small change in the Gators I run since last leaf season. Either that or maybe my deck pitch is different than it was last year.

I put on double Gators this morning. There was not a lot of blow away. But The blowout and fog of tiny leaf particals was a bit much for me. I removed one set and put a flat style highlifts on with them. The Gators have a drop down gullwing design rather than being flat. So the highlifts cutting edge is actually above the Gator's edge even though the Gator is on top.

Now I have a blow away problem. I guess I have too much lift and air circulation now. It's a twin blade deck. As the left blade is picking up leaves, the wind off it is blowing the leaves away before the right blade suction reaches them.

So, I'm going back to just single gators tomorrow to see if it's any better. If not I'm thinking of adding like a strip of rubber on to the front deck lip and letting it hang down. How far down do I let it hang? Would it help?

KLMlawn
11-09-2002, 01:40 AM
You didn't listen when I told you that you shouldn't run doubles with a mulch kit or baffle ... it will tend to cause blow out. A little bit of leaf litter coming out is normal.
If you feel you must use doubles ... due to the fact that you have an odd shaped Gator, I would recommend you leave that on the bottom and a regular lift sraight blade on top ... a high lift by itself let alone in combination with any other blade being used in conjunction with a mulch kit is pointless ... just way too much airflow ... you will be having leaf races around your properties.
Also ... lower the deck, and raise the blades ... the higher (or deeper) into the deck the blade is, the less blowout you will experience.

Envy Lawn Service
11-09-2002, 02:05 AM
I used to run double with a much kit...no problem. But it was a different doubles combo. It worked well for anything. But I won't go back to those blades. They aren't durable enough...just too thin.

I'm going to start the day tomorrow with just single gators and see what happens. If it doesn't mulch quite good enough I'll go get some flat low lifts.

If I still get leaf blow away I'll know either the Gator blades are just a little different than the last ones or it's a result of different deck pitch. I'll play with pitch 1st. Then I'll resort to finding a flat set of Gators or making the baffle (same idea as having the blade farther up in the deck)

KLMlawn
11-09-2002, 02:19 AM
Not for nothing, the shop I deal with got a couple of sets of blades in to see how they sell and if the concept works .... they are completely flat, no lift edge at all and have an edge on both sides so when one side is dull, you can just take the blade off and flip it over and put in back on and have a freashly sharpened blade. By these having no lift, they shouldn't add much if anything to the blowout factor while still giving the benefit of doubles for chopping things to iddy bitty bits....

Envy Lawn Service
11-09-2002, 02:24 AM
I know what you are talking about. I saw them in the blade book at one of the dealers I buy from. They have ordered some too. But they're not in yet :(