PDA

View Full Version : Mechanics

Superiorlandscaping
11-09-2002, 02:55 AM
Alright here. I have a 61 in ferris and 52 in Ferris i just bought. I also bought some Tanaka and redmax hedge trimmers. The deck mowers came with a few sets of blades each and the trimmers were used. My question here is what am i going to need to perform daily maintenance. I need to find this out so i know how much money to save up. I already own a decent air compressor and some air sockets and tools for it. My company is based upon the highest quality lawn maintence i can provide. My goal is to have a routine that at the end of the day take the blades off the mowers and sharpen them and to sharpen the trimmers depending on use. I cannot figure out how to sharpen these trimmers except by hand which isnt the most efficient method. Also i dont konw what tools i am going to need to sharpen the trimmers or the blades of the mowers. I am assuming a lathe type sharpener for the blades but not positive. Hopefully someone can lend me a hand. This work was always done by a mechanic for me and since its my company now I dont want to pay one. Maybe later buy for now i dont want to. Thanks -Tim

Richard Martin
11-09-2002, 04:54 AM
To sharpen your mower blades you will need a rotary blade grinder. Magna-Matic (click the link at the top of every page here at Lawnsite) makes an excellant one as does Wall Enterprises. The Wall Enterprises unit is available everywhere and is a little less expensive than the Magna-Matic.

I don't know about the hedge trimmer blades. I just send mine out and they come back sharp.

Some other items you will need for routine maintenance are:

Air pressure gauge
A seamstresses tape measure (for measuring tire circumferences)
Grease gun
3 in 1 oil
A can of WD40
Torque wrench
Floor jack
Jack stands
Creeper
A scraper for cleaning mower decks
A plastic blade height measuring tool. Available from John Deere dealers.
A small parts cleaner.
Voltmeter.

There's other things that you will find you need as time goes on. I'm sure someone else here will add to this list also.

dr grass
11-09-2002, 10:07 AM
dam tim - at first, i though you were asking how to sharpen a string trimmer? i was like WTF??? for all the info you need help with i would suggest hitting the search button on the top right corner of this page (or most any page on lawnsite, if not all)

shep :alien:

WREBELMACHINE
11-09-2002, 10:40 AM
Are the ferris mowers walks or riders? And if they are riders are they i/s units?

Superiorlandscaping
11-09-2002, 12:37 PM
They are walk behinds. But i do have an opportunity to purchase a 61 inch rider that is not i/s. But I dont know how much to offer him. I have seen them for 3500 bucks with the power barrel bagger but this one doesnt have it. It has about 300 hours on it and is pretty good shape. I have used in many times. It has alittle trouble starting the first time but once its started it runs like a top. I dont want to pay a wicked lot for but i also dont want to offer him to little.

Turfdude
11-10-2002, 01:33 PM
If you really want to sharpen your own hedge trimmer blades, you could use a Dremmel tool w/ attachment. There is also a tool advertised in most trade magazines (LandscapeMgmt, lawn & landscape, pro, turf, etc.)) can't remember name of tool & don't know how good it is. Personally, I have aretired guy in area who does them for me at $3.00/blade. Takes me only 45 mins to take apart & another 45mins to put back together after sharpening.

Bob

MTS2357
11-10-2002, 11:51 PM
BOOKS

Not only service manuals, but a log book so you know what and when ( and when sublet, cost) of work done.l

landman
11-11-2002, 06:29 PM
Step 1 get rid of the Ferris mowers and buy a couple Scags.

Superiorlandscaping
11-11-2002, 07:21 PM
How can you not like ferris's. I have been using them for years. The fly, give a great cut, easy to control and go in a perfectly straight line. I am so comfortable and use to them. Plus in my opinon they look bad ***. But i guess its what ever your used to. Also i have neeeeever had a ferris not start, die, expensive fixes. They are all dual hydros and are expected 500 hours. Some of these have hit well over 1500 hours and still running strong.

longviewlawncare
11-11-2002, 07:25 PM
i just bought a new ferris 48" hydrowalk and it is awsome. I bought it over every mower on the market cause of the way it was built, the way it cuts, and how easy it is to use. But everyone likes what they like and that is why there are so many brands out there. I jave not found a bad mower yet.