PDA

View Full Version : French drain

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC
10-08-2011, 08:16 AM
Iam going to be biding on a french drain that is 200ft 18"x18" with tie ins to existing gutter down spouts what is the going price on a job like this? thanks
:)

DVS Hardscaper
10-08-2011, 10:04 AM
There is no "going price". We're not selling 42" TV's at Walmart and Target. You'll have to come to your own price but here are some very helpful pointers:

You need to calculate the materials needed.

Calculate equipment costs.

And calculate how long it will take you to do it.

Fordsuvparts
10-08-2011, 10:26 AM
$10.00 per foot is a good starting price.

GreenLight
10-08-2011, 01:15 PM
Before giving you any advice on pricing, the first question I ask on EVERY french drain job is "what do you want me to do with the dirt?"

Seriously, you will have somewhere in the ballpark of 15-17 cubic yards of dirt removed on a drain that size. For reference, that's a solid 30 standard bucket bobcat scoops. You may end up using 2 yards to topdress the trenches with and then you are still left staring at a ginormous pile of dirt and it needs a home. Sometimes there are places on site to distribute it out in natural areas, but more often than not, you are removing it from the job site.

If you have to get this dirt offsite, then you would really like to have bobcat access. Plywood is great for keeping your tracks from destroying the incoming and outgoing loads, but you can bet your going to have a lot of damage done where ever the dirt is being picked up in the yard.

Bottom line, at that point you are getting closer to $20-25 per linear foot to justify even being there and that doesn't incorporate what you need to include for repair costs if you are dealing with an established lawn.

Dr.NewEarth
10-08-2011, 01:36 PM
I said this in your other post...check your local plumbing code. You may not be able to tie into the down spouts where you are. If there is flooding, you could be liable.

DVS Hardscaper
10-08-2011, 04:04 PM
And DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT propose your price based on $10 / LF. that is not anywhere near a realistic rate or method for pricing.

Builders work with per lf prices. But there are also usually places to dispose of the spoils on new home sites. Whole different animal.

You have to account for variables. Price intelligently.

My sisters family takes little mini trips. My 12 yr old nephew wanted to go somewhere for a family trip. He made a spreadsheet with motel, gas, and food costs for the family of 4 to go. LOL he even factored in the cost of a speeding ticket!!! He's better at planning and budgeting than most contractors!

Posted via Mobile Device

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC
10-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the replys I was able to check the emails last night and found this bid so this comming week I will go out to see this job thanks.

jonesy5149
10-08-2011, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the replys I was able to check the emails last night and found this bid so this comming week I will go out to see this job thanks.

whoooooooooo...
you are doing this in FLA... DVS is right you do not do price buy foot.
but WHO cares FLA the prices are crazy low......... lawns-patio-pond all smoken deals down in the sunny state..