PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing an open trailer to add to fleet- suggestions please!

Right Touch
10-08-2011, 09:02 AM
Looking to add an open trailer to my slowly growing fleet. Currently have 2 enclosed and a dump trailer. This trailer for now will be used for a mowing crew that currently has 1 rider and 2 walk behinds so im thinking at least 16'. The only other open trailer I've owned was my first 4x8 so I was interested to hear some opinions on open trailers- pros and cons and things to look for when purchasing. Also, is buying used an option or am I just asking for trouble?
gvwr- 7000 or 10000? 2" or 2 5/16 ball? spring assist ramp? wood or mesh deck? any other info would be great. Thank you.

I love my enclosed trailers but the truck that would be pulling this one is lightweight and the open seems like the better choice. Plus, I can use it for loading trees from the nursery and such when its not being used to mow, so I figure it will serve dual purpose.

nismothunder
10-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Wood deck, mesh sags after time.

Buying used is always an option, just make sure it is in decent shape, bearings, rust problems, etc.

unkownfl
10-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Check for incorrect tire wear on the axles. If you're talking 10k gvw then its going to be 2 and 5/16 ball. 7000k is what I use with a 2inch but I think the ball limits me to 6k unless you get the bigger shank 1 and 1/4. Wood deck or a steel deck no expanded metal accept the gate even then it needs replaced every few years because it stretches. I only buy used trailers but that's me. I can weld and replace anything that needs to be done and most importantly I can afford the time to do so.

mowerbrad
10-08-2011, 07:21 PM
If you can afford it and/or have a place near you that does custom trailers, that may be a good option. That's what I did with my current trailer and I couldn't be happier with the outcome...price wasn't bad either!

At any rate, you will definately want a wood deck...it lasts for a while and is easy to replace when it comes time to.

Depending on whether or not you are concerned with going over the CDL limit, I would suggest going with a 10000# GVWR. 5200# axles really are not much more expensive than 3500# axles (about $50 more). This will allow you to have some "wiggle room" when it comes to your payload. Even if you don't tow very heavy loads often, it will be nice to have the ability to when needed. You'll need a 2 5/16" ball for the 10000# trailers.

If you don't want a spring assist gate you can always do a split rear gate (so its in two sections) that way the weight is cut down when lifting...you'd be lifting half the weight.

Buying used is an option. You'll have to make sure that you get one that is going to last you several years and not be a "throw away" in another year or two. Just make sure the axles are okay, greased enough, working brakes and in good overall condition and you should be fine.