PDA

View Full Version : lantern vs D-cells

1idejim
10-08-2011, 03:10 PM
for around $4.00 american you can change the 521 from lantern to D-cell supply. at Radio Shack i bought some D-cell battery holders and i'm changing the supply in my 521's to D's.

a little solder and the change should be perminate.

i'll update later :)

Wet_Boots
10-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Are you going to try out NIMH rechargeable D-cells?

jvanvliet
10-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Looks good, how well are they secured. It kinda looks like they might pop loose.

That 521 looks like it has some miles on it.

Mike Leary
10-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Are you going to try out NIMH rechargeable D-cells?

Hmm, I'd heard the recharge jobs don't have the same juice as do the throw-aways. Jim uses the hell out of his 521, but those lantern batteries lasted us a long time, I had my crew put their tongues on the leads to test them out.

Wet_Boots
10-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Hmm, I'd heard the recharge jobs don't have the same juice as do the throw-aways. Jim uses the hell out of his 521, but those lantern batteries lasted us a long time, I had my crew put their tongues on the leads to test them out.Not true - higher current delivery is why they recommend NIMH rechargeable batteries in cameras that use AA cells

Mike Leary
10-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Not true - higher current delivery is why they recommend NIMH rechargeable batteries in cameras that use AA cells

Link?...........I may be wrong, been there before.

Wet_Boots
10-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Any camera manual will tell you that - the only argument against the NIMHs is that they can self-discharge over time - that may be changed with new designs

Mike Leary
10-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Any camera manual will tell you that - the only argument against the NIMHs is that they can self-discharge over time - that may be changed with new designs

O.K., that's what I remember about those batteries. Also, unless they were completely discharged, they took a "surface" charge and had no life, like a few of us on the forum. :dizzy:

Wet_Boots
10-08-2011, 05:36 PM
I have a camera that uses AA cells, so I know the advantage of NIMHs for heavy draws, compared to the alkaline AA batteries that came with it. My camera does have a "battery discharge" function, but I don't think you have the same kind of worries you do with NiCad batteries, and their "memory effect."

Mike Leary
10-08-2011, 05:53 PM
My camera does have a "battery discharge" function, but I don't think you have the same kind of worries you do with NiCad batteries, and their "memory effect."

You're prolly right, so post some frickin' pics one of these days.

1idejim
10-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Looks good, how well are they secured. It kinda looks like they might pop loose.

That 521 looks like it has some miles on it.

bought a couple used from a friend, they are in perfect working order though.

they fit snug, staggered they allow the lid to latch and i was gonna use foam to secure them.

right now i have been playing with th 521's, i'll finish with the retrofit soon and post the final product. my point is by using the D-cell batteries you aren't locked out if you can't get the lantern style 6-volt. the cost is less also

jvanvliet
10-09-2011, 07:56 AM
Thanks, be interested in seeing the finished product; it's not a patent item is it (just in case I want to copy the design)?

Wet_Boots
10-09-2011, 08:36 AM
I forget, are these all in series? If there is six inches of room in the case, a single holder should fit (5.5 x 2.5 x 3)

1idejim
10-09-2011, 10:57 AM
I forget, are these all in series? If there is six inches of room in the case, a single holder should fit (5.5 x 2.5 x 3)

nope, the holders are in parallel and they fit tightly as pictured. also nested as per picture the lid will latch.

i have a feeling that lantern style batteries will become harder to find in the future and D-cells are cheaper to use in the long run.

as i said, i will post the finished product and some test results later.

:)

Wet_Boots
10-09-2011, 12:34 PM
I might try to cobble together a 10-cell (NiMH's only) holder to replace the 12-volt lantern battery that once was a stock item at Radio Shack.