PDA

View Full Version : 2003 6.0L powerstroke

bulhead19
10-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Anyone have experience with theses engines? Once you replace the head gasket and head bolts how well does this engine run and is it reliable after these fixes? Also i have the egr eliminator ...Thanks for any tips

dieseltech
10-08-2011, 05:56 PM
I have an 06 6.0. I love my truck. New headgaskets egr delete and arp headstuds have been put in and it is a great running truck. Not the most fuel efficient but ive been able to squeeze out a few more mpg's with some tuning and other aftermarket items. They can be reliable and then some are not soo reliable. Really depends on maintenance and driving style/ conditions. Some have had really bad experiences with them and others have had decent luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

jwsland
10-08-2011, 06:46 PM
I have arp headstuds, the egr delete, also custom tuned with an sct by innovative diesel and other stuff. Its my second 6.0 (first one was totaled) both had similar modifications. The first one was bought new and had 125k when it was wrecked. The current one I bought used with 108k on it and now has 151k. Both trucks ran/run VERY strong, towed daily and occasionally were taken to the race track. I drive my trucks very hard. No transmission problems either, the custom tunes take care of the transmission programming too.

I love the 6.0 engine and I'd buy another one even if it had over 100k again.

bulhead19
10-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Ok. I just bought an 03 6.0 last night with 109,00 miles on it for 8,000 bucks. I drove it home which was about 150 miles away i park it in my driveway, and i smell antifreeze, the reservoir builds a ton of pressure which then cause the puking and spitting of the antifreeze. i did my research very notable on these trucks. I talked to the guy i bought it from, as he is a diesel mechanic and claimed that he didn't think it was a bad gasket, so long story short, is bad gasket/ and studs and i got an estimate of $2500 range, the guy is gonna send me a check for a grand which leaves me with a rough bill of $9500 total invested. Lesson learned: Do my ******* homework before any big purchase.

So my question is just fix the gasket and stud and the egr delete ( which my truck already has on it) and i should be back in the rodeo with it? This is my first diesel and i don't know crap about them, but i will start learning now.. Thanks guys..

mowerbrad
10-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Typically the earlier years of the Powerstroke 6.0 were more problematic than the later years.

One of the ambulances that I worked on during the summer is an '06 with the 6.0 Powerstroke in it. The engine (and I think transmission) was just replaced in the spring or early summer. It had around 200k on it when everything was replaced. I know its had its fair share of problems too in the past. But it is driven HARD, more so than any other truck I know of. Hard acceleration, hard braking, high speeds and the occasional curb hopping...not exactly "babied".

The price you paid sounds like a good price. Even with a total investment of $10k into the truck and repairs it won't be a bad deal.

dieseltech
10-08-2011, 08:11 PM
Ok. I just bought an 03 6.0 last night with 109,00 miles on it for 8,000 bucks. I drove it home which was about 150 miles away i park it in my driveway, and i smell antifreeze, the reservoir builds a ton of pressure which then cause the puking and spitting of the antifreeze. i did my research very notable on these trucks. I talked to the guy i bought it from, as he is a diesel mechanic and claimed that he didn't think it was a bad gasket, so long story short, is bad gasket/ and studs and i got an estimate of $2500 range, the guy is gonna send me a check for a grand which leaves me with a rough bill of $9500 total invested. Lesson learned: Do my ******* homework before any big purchase.

So my question is just fix the gasket and stud and the egr delete ( which my truck already has on it) and i should be back in the rodeo with it? This is my first diesel and i don't know crap about them, but i will start learning now.. Thanks guys..

As i said in your earlier post!!! That has been a problem but yes gaskets, arp studs! No substitute for arp's! An egr delete which you say it has and also drop 150 roughly on a coolant filter from somewhere like diesel site or sinister diesel etc... With these out of the way you should be well on your way to a good truck to last you a good while. I would also look into a mild tune for mpg purposes as these motors arent the best in that regard. 10k is not a bad investment for that truck with problem areas out of the way!!
Posted via Mobile Device

dieseltech
10-08-2011, 08:14 PM
That also says alot for the guy you bought it from going to send you a grand to help fix the problem. Most wouldnt do that and you should be thankful you got it from a good seller!
Posted via Mobile Device

bayfish
10-09-2011, 01:13 AM
I have an 05 and 06 with the 6.0. The 05 which I bought used with 28K on it, unloaded on me at 90K miles and needed egr cooler, egr valve and FICM. It was 3 months out of warranty on time, but they covered all but $1000.00 on the repair. It now has 105K miles and runs great. The 06 I bought with 40K on it and now has about 66K and has run perfect so far. Both tow everyday and do a great job. I like the power compared to the 7.3 I have. I get about 14mpg with them towing, 16 without trailer. The 7.3 is a little better on mpg's.
I have thought about the egr delete kits but haven't acted on it yet.

I also have a one ton stakebody with the 6.4. It only has 20K miles, no problems yet except it sucks on mpg's with 10.5 average.

BPS##
10-09-2011, 06:01 AM
From all the bad experiences my close friends have had with the 6.0 and all the bad things I've heard about the 6.4 even from dealers and sales guys I'll be sticking with a 7.3 until used 6.7s are at a reasonable price.

Friend of mine I've known for many years told me the only way he'll buy another 6.0 is if some one gives it to him.
Then hes gonna get rid of it while it still runs.
Hes got two and hates them. Very unreliable engines for him.

jvanvliet
10-09-2011, 07:12 AM
From all the bad experiences my close friends have had with the 6.0 and all the bad things I've heard about the 6.4 even from dealers and sales guys I'll be sticking with a 7.3 until used 6.7s are at a reasonable price.

Friend of mine I've known for many years told me the only way he'll buy another 6.0 is if some one gives it to him.
Then hes gonna get rid of it while it still runs.
Hes got two and hates them. Very unreliable engines for him.

I'm with you;

got a F350 7.3 harvester with 287,000 and still running like a beast.

Also a D3500 5.9 Cummings with 198,000 also running like a beast.

Probably keepers till 1,000,000 or until the body rusts out which ever comes first.

If I have to replace any of the trucks, I'd look at the Dodge with a 6.7 in line 6 Cummings. The F 6.7 v8's are having some minor problems still, like the block splitting after a couple of thousand miles. That's what happens when you reverse engineer a gasoline engine; GM did the same thing in the late 70's early 80's on their passenger vehicles, they sucked then too.

BPS##
10-09-2011, 07:26 AM
I hadn't heard that about 6.7s.

Ford is claiming the 6.7 is a completely new diesel engine from the ground up.
Not a reworked Navistar engine like previous powerstrokes.

As for the Cummins 6.7........... you'll be disappointed with the MPGs.
My same friend has a 6.7 with 6 spd trans....... HIDEOUS fuel mileage.
Running 65 empty it doesn't do as good as my 2000 7.3 does pulling a trailer.

jvanvliet
10-09-2011, 07:35 AM
I hadn't heard that about 6.7s.

Ford is claiming the 6.7 is a completely new diesel engine from the ground up.
Not a reworked Navistar engine like previous powerstrokes.

As for the Cummins 6.7........... you'll be disappointed with the MPGs.
My same friend has a 6.7 with 6 spd trans....... HIDEOUS fuel mileage.
Running 65 empty it doesn't do as good as my 2000 7.3 does pulling a trailer.

Didn't know that about the Cummings 6.7. Must be all that enviro crap they've had to put on the engines. My 5.9 gets awesome MPG while pulling a 22 X 8.5 loaded trailer (between 18 & 20 mpg) The Ford does well also @ 11-13 mpg pulling a similar load.

FYI.

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/diesels/50594-ford-6-7-problems-35.html

I know Ford said from the "ground up". Maybe, I doubt they re-tooled their entire production line, but maybe. Time will tell about these new blocks. Almost always better to wait a few years and see if they work out the bugs.

jkingrph
10-09-2011, 10:41 AM
I have an early build 03. Took delivery in April of 03, and am coming up on 87,000 miles. It has been a daily driver and long distance trip, vacations vehicle.

Basically I have babied it, synthetic oil, bypass oil filter and coolant filter, plus 4" turbo back exhaust system. Other than that, totally stock.

No problems at all

BPS##
10-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Didn't know that about the Cummings 6.7. Must be all that enviro crap they've had to put on the engines. My 5.9 gets awesome MPG while pulling a 22 X 8.5 loaded trailer (between 18 & 20 mpg) The Ford does well also @ 11-13 mpg pulling a similar load.

FYI.

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/diesels/50594-ford-6-7-problems-35.html

I know Ford said from the "ground up". Maybe, I doubt they re-tooled their entire production line, but maybe. Time will tell about these new blocks. Almost always better to wait a few years and see if they work out the bugs.

I'd have to see it from a reliable source other than "some guy heard" on a chevy forum. lol
I know you know what I mean.

I could say the same thing about a chev block. Don't make it true.
That poster offered no link to proof of what hes heard so until there is proof its just hear say.
You posted proof of where you heard it, that gets you off the hook.

I've been around forums for a long time and been a mod on several forums for a long time as well.
I've learned that without proof...... don't believe every thing you hear on a forum. There are some really sick folks that land on these forums and they can come up with some very off the wall ideas.

I'm sure the poor mileage on the Cummins is due to the EPA emissions crap they are all forced to put on.
You open the hood on a Ford or Dodge and you can't even see the engine.

PROCUT1
10-09-2011, 11:15 AM
I have/had an 06 with the 6.0.

Head gaskets, oil cooler lines, turbo, a bunch of injectors.

Now at 130,000 miles something puked on it. It blows serious white smoke and doesnt have enough power to move. I have no idea what is wrong with it and dont have the money to have it fixed so its parked. Seems like it blew head gaskets, it happened in the last 2 miles of a 1000 mile trip.

BPS##
10-09-2011, 11:31 AM
Sounds like it could be the EGR.

PROCUT1
10-09-2011, 12:04 PM
What is this egr thing i keep hearing people talk about?

It is an easy fix? Expensive?

BPS##
10-09-2011, 12:39 PM
I'm not a member of this forum (http://www.thedieselstop.com/), but I know guys that are and they say folks are pretty knowledgeable over there.

mjstef
10-09-2011, 08:30 PM
I have/had an 06 with the 6.0.

Head gaskets, oil cooler lines, turbo, a bunch of injectors.

Now at 130,000 miles something puked on it. It blows serious white smoke and doesnt have enough power to move. I have no idea what is wrong with it and dont have the money to have it fixed so its parked. Seems like it blew head gaskets, it happened in the last 2 miles of a 1000 mile trip.

Your EGR cooler blew and it's leaking anti-freeze into the engine thus the white smoke. The 6.OH crap is a boat anchor. Mine had 12K worth of warranty work in 130K miles. I was even quoted in an auto publication for the problems i had with mine..... These guys have conversion kits. They are high quality and look factory when installed. http://www.fordcummins.com/

As far as the 6.7 Cummins goes the mileage stinks.

dieseltech
10-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Your EGR cooler blew and it's leaking anti-freeze into the engine thus the white smoke. The 6.OH crap is a boat anchor. Mine had 12K worth of warranty work in 130K miles. I was even quoted in an auto publication for the problems i had with mine..... These guys have conversion kits. They are high quality and look factory when installed. http://www.fordcummins.com/

As far as the 6.7 Cummins goes the mileage stinks.

Your just another guy that had bad luck. There are many myself included who have had good luck with the 6.0. The earlier years had more problems but mine while yes has been modded was and is still a very strong motor.
Posted via Mobile Device

mjstef
10-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Your just another guy that had bad luck. There are many myself included who have had good luck with the 6.0. The earlier years had more problems but mine while yes has been modded was and is still a very strong motor.
Posted via Mobile Device

One of my best friends works for a Ford dealer out here. He was the 1st Ford tech in the state to get certified on the 6.0 and has over 30 years under his belt with Ford. He will not own one. That's nuff said for me. They have been making him a LOT of money the last 8 years. He has told me in the past that 30% of 6.0's have had major repairs while another 40% on top of that have had EGR issues. EMS companies are dumping them like hot potatoes with VERY low miles on them! I would not want to be in a life or death situation and end up in a 6.0 powered ambulance. As far as someone who had a bad one yes i was one of many who had a VERY LATE build 03 when all the bugs where supposed to be worked out. Every single issue i had with my truck was engine related. The truck itself was PERFECT! I am back to 7.3's now and don't have any more issues. Low 6.0 VS High 7.3 resale value on auto trader should tell you a lot..........

RozarLawnCare
10-09-2011, 09:30 PM
A friend of mine worked in the QA department when that engine was launched in 03 and he said that it was so bad one time that they ran the line backwards to take engines apart. Stay away from a from the 6.0's, there is a reason they are cheap. They were not well planned in the beginning. Very bad design.

unkownfl
10-09-2011, 09:36 PM
get an O.A.S.I.S. report at the dealer with the vin and go from there. I'd seriously consider replacing the oil cooler while he's in there. The 6.0 is pretty easy to work on if you have a lift. It's no IDI but I rather work on it than a 7.3PSD or duramax. Cummins is a very fine engine but people think they're gold to bad the truck falls apart around the engine though. Once you get those fixed you should never have to touch the engine again besides maybe injectors. Remember there is two fuel filters on them too. I've worked on plenty with 100k on them with original filters that run like crap. The filter under the cab on the driver side frame never gets changed it seems. Carry a screw driver with you and some 4 inch clamps because the inter cooler piping seems to fall off on the early years unless they've been replaced.

mowerbrad
10-09-2011, 09:53 PM
One of my best friends works for a Ford dealer out here. He was the 1st Ford tech in the state to get certified on the 6.0 and has over 30 years under his belt with Ford. He will not own one. That's nuff said for me. They have been making him a LOT of money the last 8 years. He has told me in the past that 30% of 6.0's have had major repairs while another 40% on top of that have had EGR issues. EMS companies are dumping them like hot potatoes with VERY low miles on them! I would not want to be in a life or death situation and end up in a 6.0 powered ambulance. As far as someone who had a bad one yes i was one of many who had a VERY LATE build 03 when all the bugs where supposed to be worked out. Every single issue i had with my truck was engine related. The truck itself was PERFECT! I am back to 7.3's now and don't have any more issues. Low 6.0 VS High 7.3 resale value on auto trader should tell you a lot..........

I've heard of stories around me of ambulances breaking down on the way to calls...luckily no patients on board though. Its extremely embarassing for the paramedics and the ambulance company itself. And it really isn't the ambulance companies fault, its the fact that the 6.0 wasn't a very reliable engine. Heck, many new diesels have had their fair share of problems.

I know some new ambulances are gas because of the problems they had been having with the diesels. Though you don't see too many Chevy ambulances around, most seem to be ford. You do get the occasional Chevy or International though.

BPS##
10-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Lots of these around here. Only the red paint scheme from AMR.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSkkSTWVjkLrWBVhI73LWDZrPIuVZrt6CjZK8O7IiK3WeLd3VW-w

This one is probably 6.dead powered.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThAIxPypdb97kq25OTi9iPn1DLQJ176pIZgA2Yul9czIly7OE4OA

mjstef
10-09-2011, 10:03 PM
[QUOTE=unkownfl;4181990 The 6.0 is pretty easy to work on if you have a lift. It's no IDI but I rather work on it than a 7.3PSD or duramax.[/QUOTE]

Are you nuts??? Both are not easy but I can change a set of glow pugs on a 7.3 in about an hour but the 6.0 is near 3 hours! Most major 6.0 work requires pulling the cab where you can work on the 7.3 in chassis. And the OASIS will only give you the History of the truck for 2 years. Mine was a mile long.

http://www.backglass.org/duncan/2003f250cc/engine_bay_1_annotated_med.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2459/3555430870_17f1f881ef.jpg

I will say my brother had the EGR delete kit put in his late 04 and it runs a lot better but is still a pig off the line. It also does a full 2 mpg worse towing and empty compared to my dats truck which an 02 with the 7.3 set up the same. The point is when a guy spend 40-50 k on a truck why should you have to pay another $1500 to make it run right and chance your warranty? The 7.3 ran good from the get go........

dieseltech
10-09-2011, 10:04 PM
It was a terrible design i will admit. But like all others they all have had issues. 24v cummins lift pump failures and vp injection pumps. Duramax and their injector issues a while back. ive owned all of the big 3 and even though the 6.0 has had major issues the truck itself is great. They hold up very well.
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
10-09-2011, 10:10 PM
I've actually owned one, worked on many and did mention you must have a lift. The cab is easy to take off even though it may sound daunting.

mjstef
10-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Chester Co. joins suit over 6-liter ambulance engines

Read more: http://www.heraldonline.com/2008/01/31/330864/chester-co-joins-suit-over-6-liter.html#ixzz1aLBXnYmL

The answer is, it depends. WE operate a fleet of 35 ambulances and 14 support vehicles. Historically we had operated Ford Type III ambulances equipped with the 6.9 litre diesel engines. They were bullet proof and would run forever. In 2004 Ford introduced the 6.0 litre engine to meet new EPA requirements and the problems began. We had purchased 12 2005 & 2006Ford Type III ambulances and two 2005 Ford Excursions with the 6.0 engine. The problems began shortly thereafter at about 30,000 miles with engine failures amongst other problems including turbo, higher pressure oil pumps & EGR failures. Ford introduced an extended warranty that gave an extra 24 months (60 months) and or 80,000 miles (180,000 miles)additional warranty at a price of almost $4,000/vehicle Canadian, which we purchased. I was criticized at the time because of the cost but it has paid for itself several times over. Every one of the 14 vehicles with the exception of 2 has had at least one engine failure. Some have had 5 engines in 150,000 miles. A recent example was a truck that had 150,000 miles and was on its second engine, which failed and was totally replaced under warranty. 1800 miles later the new engine threw a rod as the vehicle pulled into a hospital. It was returned to the dealer and another new engine installed. The new engine started once and never ran again. Another engine was installed (#5). Our vehicles are not abused and we monitor speed live with an AVL/GPS system. In 2006 we started to buy Chev Dura Max powered Type III's. WE currently have 11 2010 units on order for December & March delivery, which will bring the number of Ford ambulances left in the fleet to 3. The oldest Chev's have over 100,000 miles on them now with no engine failures. Was our experience an abnormality. Well Ford has sued Navistar, the manufacturer of the 6.0 and Navistar countersued for non payment. In the US the ambulance industry filed a class action suit against Ford which the industry won, but details of the settlement are sketchy. Ford is not offering diesel engines in the 2010 E model, only V10 gas. For 2012 there will no longer be a Ford E series van. In 2008 Ford replaced the 6.0 with the 6.4 (another Navistar engine) which they currently offer in the F series trucks. It has not been uncommon to go into the dealership and see a new pickup just delivered on the hoist undergoing an engine replacement. For 2011 Ford is introducing a new 6.7 litre diesel which Ford designed and is manufacturing in house. The industry has been leaving Ford in droves, the latest post I saw today was that FDNY EMS (City of New York) are moving from Ford Type I's to a different chassis, rumored to be Dodge. FDNY was running diesel Ford Excursions but have just purchased 80 Chev Diesel pickups for their Batallion Chiefs and EMS Supervisors, which will replace the Excursions. And Ford was the only manufacturer who did not go to the public trough for a bail out. Figure that one out!

http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1431

BPS##
10-09-2011, 10:14 PM
PLEASE resize that damn 6 leaker photo so I don't have to go out to the 56'' big screen to see whats on my monitor.

BPS##
10-09-2011, 10:17 PM
Ford spokeswoman Marcey Evans said in an e-mail to The Herald that Ford began using 6-liter diesel engines in F-Series heavy duty trucks and E-Series full-size vans -- including parts that serve as the foundation for ambulances -- because they allowed the company to offer more fuel-efficient vehicles while also improving horsepower and torque.

Read more: http://www.heraldonline.com/2008/01/31/330864/chester-co-joins-suit-over-6-liter.html#ixzz1aLDmbPWu

The part about more fuel efficient is such a crock.

mjstef
10-09-2011, 10:22 PM
PLEASE resize that damn 6 leaker photo so I don't have to go out to the 56'' big screen to see whats on my monitor.

Must be your settings. I have a 19" monitor and don't have to scroll to see it. My resolution is set at 1920 x 1280. What about yours???

zak406
10-10-2011, 12:01 AM
Im not part of ems or a volunter fire dept. however our ems has switched over to internationals.. They dumped the fords

Snapper Jack
10-10-2011, 06:34 AM
Im not part of ems or a volunter fire dept. however our ems has switched over to internationals.. They dumped the fords
The only ones grateful that Ford exist are the repair shops, particularly transmission shops, allowing them to keep the doors open.

mjstef
10-10-2011, 10:51 AM
The only ones grateful that Ford exist are the repair shops, particularly transmission shops, allowing them to keep the doors open.

Actually since the Torque Shift came out in 03 tranny problems are few and very far between. Personally i drive a handshaker as i don't think an automatic has any business behind a diesel...................

PROCUT1
10-10-2011, 12:18 PM
I think all the manufacturers make similarly decent trucks.

Its getting harder and harder to tell them apart.

Problems with newer trucks just arent like problems with older trucks. Nowadays with all the computers and wires, any "little" problem that goes wrong seems to render the truck undrivable.

I have a mix of 20 year old fords and gm and theyre all practically bullet proof. Lights blinking on the dash, gauges that read no oil pressure for 10 years, and the suckers still get up and go every single day. They all have quirks but they still do the job.

Nowadays a check engine light is an emergency. A bad wire connection can render the truck stuck. Transmissions dont "slip" they go into computer limp mode that takes 5 phds to figure out.

An old truck for it to stop working, you knew it. Something detonated. You could pinpoint the problem. "Well that rod sticking out of the engine is probably the problem"

Now it just dont work. Without a computer you dont know why. It doesnt start because some sensor that requires removing the cab from the chassis went bad.

I stick with older trucks because its what i can afford and what i can have a bunch on the road rather reliably.

I think with newer trucks you really do have to put them on a rotation and keep changing them out if you are trying to keep a fleet going.

Its like a computer. You can do the exact same thing every single day with your laptop. And without fail after a few years, it starts developing problems, working slower and just asks to be replaced.

How any of that rant relates to this thread I dont know. Except the fact that I have an 06 6.0 sitting in a driveway dead as a doornail with payments left on it while all my old junk is out making me money...ha

mjstef
10-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Except the fact that I have an 06 6.0 sitting in a driveway dead as a doornail with payments left on it while all my old junk is out making me money...ha

Doesn't that drive you nuts??? My old stuff cranks EVERY DAY. Just did a 1300 mile road trip with a 16 yr old diesel and guess what? I made it home!!!!