PDA

View Full Version : Bagging

CSRA Landscaping
11-09-2002, 10:23 AM
I started out bagging two years ago, then this past year, I switched to mulching after reading so much about it here and elsewhere. The mulching was great as far as solid mowing and not having to get off of the mower ... I was liable to runn out of gas before I had to get off. As far as appearances, mulching did ok, I really have no complaints about its appearance, except with bahia. It can handle leaves without a hitch.

This year, I just put the bagger bag on and, oh my! What a difference. I feel that I can go through thicker grass, leaves, etc. quicker with the bagger than with the mulch kit. I'm using a Scag Tiger Cub with a 19 HP Kaw. And as far as appearances go, well, it just looks SO much better when it's bagged, to me. The bagger that I'm using is the one that Scag sells for the STC, it's a spindle-driven, three bag system, works quite well.

This is just my opinion. Anyone else notice the same or the opposite? Anybody do both at different times of the year?

IBGreen
11-09-2002, 01:37 PM
I'm with you on this, except for on our two 18 acre accounts!

bubble boy
11-09-2002, 02:59 PM
mulching can look as good as bagging, but in my opinion will never look better. bagging almost always has the quality advantage

personally, we just sideshoot. looks good, requires a bit of blowing, but no time to dump and no dump fees. plus, i am far from a tree hugger, but landfills don't need grass.

jason r.
11-10-2002, 02:53 AM
down here in SE Louisiana, I mulch from March through September and bag from October through February. It seems to be the best schedule, for me, in my neck of the woods.

dlandscaping
11-10-2002, 03:00 AM
bag here all the time.
tried both side discharge and mulch kit poor results increased mowing time .
switched back to bagging full time next season bag all the time.
All the lcos bag here just about all season i think it looks 50 times better too.

Navig8r
11-10-2002, 11:50 AM
CSRA... just curious.... how big are the properties you are bagging?, and what type of equipment do you use....... If I bagged most of my accts, I would spend more time emptying bags than I spend cutting..... (Large lots, approx 1 acre avg.)....I find discharging to work well (except near busy roads, etc.)

CSRA Landscaping
11-10-2002, 04:29 PM
Nav,
I'm not sure of the exact property sizes, since the parking lots take up a good amount of space, but I do anywhere from .5 acre lots to ? whatever. Right now I think the largest I have is 10 acres or so, 4.5 of which are turf. I'm using a Scag Tiger Cub, 48" advantage deck as the primary mower, SW36 as a back-up.

1grnlwn
11-10-2002, 06:54 PM
Can't speak for the warm season grasses, but in cool season grasses Bagging What a Waste! Pay to have nutrients put into the turf and then lawn guy carts them away in his pickup. If you are cutting it high like you should clippings should be no problem. Even mulching is a waste of energy. I would put up doubles against any combo and come out on top. Obviously a bagged yard will look a little better for the first day or two. I feel sorry for the LCO who is forced to bag due to the ignorance of the customer and the neighbors. The only prop we bag has cig butts all over and we cut it first and then bag. Not to mention that a very good herbicide is being droped from the residential lable because of ignorance of composting sites. Composting sites! Why the hell do we need composting sites? Compost the stuff right in your front yard Gibrone! Leaves come but 2 months a year, Who cares? This is the real debate.

Mark

CSRA Landscaping
11-10-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by 1grnlwn
Can't speak for the warm season grasses ... If you are cutting it high like you should clippings should be no problem.

Mark, most warm season grasses are supposed to be cut no higher than 3", if I'm not mistaken.

I would put up doubles against any combo and come out on top. Obviously a bagged yard will look a little better for the first day or two. I feel sorry for the LCO who is forced to bag due to the ignorance of the customer and the neighbors.

I think what I said is that I've done both and I have chosen that bagging, in my opinion, fits better with my properties.

Leaves come but 2 months a year, Who cares? This is the real debate.
[/B]

Wrong. This is completely separate from the contest going on about who can outdo who. This is an observation that I had this past week due to a change back to bagging FROM mulching.

And what are we in business for, after all? To make a profit, right? Customers pay for what they want. Guess what most of them want? Bagging. Is it ignorant? Sure, a little. Does it matter? Not that much it doesn't. If you can learn to give the customer what they want instead of what you want you'll have a better business.

1grnlwn
11-11-2002, 12:16 AM
Can't speak for the warm season grasses, but in cool season grasses Bagging What a Waste!

Uh this was the Quote , those .....s changes the meaning. If you are cutting warm season turf then I wasn't talking to you. From what I have read here most cut the warm season much shorter than 3".

So what you are saying is that two wrongs make a right? I fail to see how its good business to waste your time and the customers money on an operation that is traditional and not benificial to the health of the turf.

Like I said its too bad that Cutters are forced into this too keep jobs. I don't even mulch. No wonder people go back to bagging after they leave little grass balls all over the yard. Mulching is a gimic to sell $500 push mowers to homeowners who have $90 push mowers.

Sorry If I came on too strong but Baggind And Mulching are pet peaves of mine becaues neither are needed for properly cultivated COOL season turfgrass.

Thats all I'm Sayin.

Mark

Mark
11-11-2002, 12:38 AM
I stopped bagging in the early 90s. All i do now is mulch, looks good and much faster, I do run doubles all season, with mulch kit in fall,works well for me. Marks Mowing Service

gogetter
11-11-2002, 01:03 AM
Jeff, first I'm curious what made you switch back to bagging if the mulching was going well?

Second what are you doing with ALL that grass?!?!?
I have one lawn that I bagged a few times during heavy growth in spring (they have it fertilized and the growth is insane, but that's another story!). The clippings from that one 10K sq.ft. lawn take up half of my small trailer or fill my small bed of my Dakota! I can't imagine how much grass I'd have at the end of the day if I collected from all my lawns.

Where do you put it, truck bed? Just curious.

ranger520
11-11-2002, 01:12 AM
Up here in Minnesota mulching works great for weekly accounts but for one time fall clean-ups the bagging is the only way to go. It looks nice and besides, i just past the cost off on the customer anyways. The compost sites around me have no dump fee and i have a private place to dump anyways. Personally I think that blowing and using a leaf loader is the fastest. Two guys can blow down 20k for oak and maple leaves in about an hour and another hour to manicure and bag to make it look just perfect and $100.00 per hour and you are out of there.

scott

IBGreen
11-11-2002, 02:04 AM
I don't have one yet but I'm getting one. And It should help out here, walker walker walker walker walker walker walker walker walker. Big fan!:D

LAWNGODFATHER
11-11-2002, 03:23 AM
Have you tried to side discharge?

I cut some Zoysia at 3" and it looks beautiful when I get done.

BigJim
11-11-2002, 04:24 AM
Baggers vs Mulchers could start one heck brawl in a bar one day with that one;) .Bagging is the only way to go here,its what the customers want and the lawns look better bagged.The grass in the spring is too lush to mulch here with the low heights we cut at,and in the summer mulching causes the grass to grow back quicker than if its bagged.Some lawns you can mulch OK in summer here but its less than 50% of them.So you Mulchers keep mulching and us Baggers will keep bagging and we'll all have a drink one day,but may be not all in the same bar:D .

CSRA Landscaping
11-11-2002, 07:18 PM
Mark, sorry, not my intent to change the meaning of your post. Seemed to me that part went hand-in-hand with the first part and I was just skipping the extra. No harm done, no hard feelings.

Jonathan, I have on-site disposal on most accounts. The ones that I don't are small enough that I just cart it off with me and dispose of it here at the house. The reason that I put the bagger back on was because I needed to collect some leaves for an extended experiment.

Mike, yeah I've done side discharging and I can't say that I felt all that safe with it, either. Too much car and foot traffic, not to mention all the sliding glass doors. :eek: