PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting an enclosed pros or cons?

GreenscapesWV
10-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Have always had open trailers for mowing equipment etc. Thinking about changing to a 8.5x20 box next spring. I know the box would be really nice all lettered up and a rolling billboard but when people see mowers on an open trailer they know what you do for work and if you have sign on your trailer and on the truck they will know who you are still. Whats your guys thoughts??

groundmasters
10-09-2011, 08:18 AM
All I know is my next trailer will be a box. First off I feel more comfortable when we all go into a store or go inside for lunch. All someone has to do is pull up next to your open trailer and grab a weed wacker and there goes $350. At least with the box you can just put a padlock on it and feel a little more safe. Also if someone doesnt secure a piece of equipment properly you dont have to worry about it bouncing down the road.

easy-lift guy
10-09-2011, 08:54 AM
Boxed trailers are nice but they tend to get smashed and dented very easy, more expensive but more security as well, make sure you purchase one with enough natural lighting and vents to match, otherwise electric lights will be fine, just have enough.
easy-lift guy

PLS-Tx
10-09-2011, 03:31 PM
We have been using a 8.5X20 enclosed for going on 6 years.

It's been great, had it lettered, it's been a great source of advertising.

I don't agree with it getting all bagging up, ours still looks great. Now, up close it has scratches and dings but from a feet back it still looks new.

Natural lighting is not necessary, as long as you have enough lights inside. We have 3, I'm sure 2 would work.

We have 2 roof vents, I'm sure 1 would be fine. We do have side flow through vents which I think are important.

We also have 2 fuel doors that are very nice to have. We run the hose through the small door and fill everything without unloading.

It also has LED lights, which I like. They are very bright, don't use much juice, and last forever.

What do you plan to pull it with?

Good luck, I would be happy to try to help any way I can.

weeze
10-09-2011, 03:40 PM
might wanna install some kind of a/c unit cuz those things are so hot inside of them during the summer lol...i'm sure there's good and bad about both types...i've always used open trailers though.

GreenscapesWV
10-09-2011, 10:06 PM
2500 hd i am used to hauling a 30ft trailer with racecars in it weighing 12k for trailer only.

if i got a box im gonna put a 55 gal of gas with a hose or one of those tanks from tractor supply. also i can keep all equipment in there and build me a couple shelves. it would set me apart from people in my area with a box!

FoghornLeghorn
10-09-2011, 10:13 PM
I feel a lot more comfortable with my equipment being in an enclosed trailer. It's out of the rain, nothing gets faded from the sun, employees have a place to go when nature calls, potential thieves can't see what's inside. It also gives a large canvas to advertise your business on.

On the other hand, they are not good when you have to load branches, leaf cleanup, etc.

Overall, I think they work better for everyday use.

UpperCutLawns
10-09-2011, 10:28 PM
I have a 16x8 and it's nice not having to load and unload the equipment and its nice keeping your stuff away from the elements. Only pain I feel is that its alot easier to fuel up the machines on a open trailer.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
10-09-2011, 11:19 PM
We have a 16 and a 14 enclosed. They work well for us. Personally I got side vents but not roof vents, the roof vents seem to get broken or leak. Good luck with your purchase. P.s make sure you tongues are long enough and buy quality. We run pace trailers.
Posted via Mobile Device

weather command
10-09-2011, 11:28 PM
I, too, am thinking of an enclosed trailers. Quality matters to me and there seems to be huge price swings depending on the trailer...any thoughts on manufacturers, brand etc?

PLS-Tx
10-10-2011, 01:32 AM
I, too, am thinking of an enclosed trailers. Quality matters to me and there seems to be huge price swings depending on the trailer...any thoughts on manufacturers, brand etc?

Our Pace has help up well. According to the dealer we bought it from they are out of business. :confused:

He sells Haulmark now, if I was to buy another one that's what I would get.

nismothunder
10-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Having limited experence in box trailers I will say the pro and cons that I know of.

Cons-

More money then open.

The cheaper ones last maybe 4 winters before the sides rot (Salted states, winter usage)

Less MPGs

Cant fit through a drivetrue

Its a moving bill board for ass's to tag

Pros-

Its a moving bill board for you company

People cant walk off with stuff as easy

You can use it for atv's snowmobiles, etc in the off season

Usally easy to maintain since most new ones come with bearing buddys installed

Your equipment doesnt get rain, road grim,etc on it.

If your company goes under you can live in it

Better resale value

DavidD
10-11-2011, 12:39 AM
If your company goes under you can live in it

LMAO! :laugh:

PLS-Tx
10-11-2011, 01:31 AM
Cant fit through a drivetrue

I don't recall ever thinking about this when I was trying to decide on an enclosed trailer. :laugh:

lawnpropm
10-16-2011, 12:38 AM
Can't go wrong with an enclosed trailer. You don't have to unload it every night and the think I love is that we can haul plants for new installs and not worry about them getting damaged on the way to the site.
Posted via Mobile Device

dogwooddave
10-19-2011, 11:14 AM
Go enclosed, using them for over 20 yrs. neat appearance, good for signage, keeps everything out of the weather all year long storage. Keeps things from wandering as opposed to open trailer with easy access for thieves. you can use sidewalls and overhead for storage and if set up well you will be much happier with it than your opened one. They can get hot inside, but, hey your working outside not hanging in the trailer (I hope) My current one is about 12 yrs old and yes it's got it's share of scuffs and scratches buy still looks and runs great.
Good luck