PDA

View Full Version : Aeration: $35 up to 30,000

Currier
11-09-2002, 01:23 PM
Local coupon book just came out. This outfit is offering "Spring Aeration $35.00 for up to 30,000 square feet."

Hope his machine breaks:(

A few repair bills MIGHT snap out of his daze...

rkbrown
11-09-2002, 01:26 PM
Excellent !!

I will sub him out to do 3 of my 10k properties all in a row and pocket the difference while he works and I take my kids to the park. :D

Ground Master
11-09-2002, 02:46 PM
wondering if thats a misprint. maybe its supposed to be 3000 square feet..........hes gonna be sweating bullets if its not

bubble boy
11-09-2002, 03:39 PM
WOW...do you know the company? are they new?

Currier
11-09-2002, 04:57 PM
It is a new company. This year was his first season. He started out by lowballing a buddy of mine and taking a primo account. Hopefully he will get some 30,000 foot jobs and it will break him. I don't imagine he is making any $$.

Basically he is just a great example of the losers that drive our market down. Even people that won't call him will see the moron's add and think that must be the market price. They hurt everybody on their way out of business.

ranger520
11-09-2002, 05:17 PM
I hope this guy has a 10 foot wide aerator. There is know other way the guy can stay in business.

scott

tailoredlook
11-09-2002, 05:18 PM
if hes using one of those bs tow behind spikey looking jobbies then he could be stealing $35 from every one 'cause he sure aint aerating. If hes using a ryan or other reputable core aerator then there aint no way hes making money. But fot $35 up to 30k I'll sub out to him andtake the week off.

bubble boy
11-09-2002, 05:29 PM
well, he will either cut his teeth and learn for next yr, or he will go out of business.

or he will have a heart attack trying to do those aerations

in the mean time i would prepare a response to all the people asking why you are not as cheap as he is.

1grnlwn
11-09-2002, 06:08 PM
Uh, probably 5 or six rows by the walk and drive and skip every other row in the field. No one will complain cause its only $35. TGCL trick. Lets call it 1/2 ghosting.

Mark

SLS
11-09-2002, 06:26 PM
Wow, and to think that I charge around $50 just to mow 30,000 sq.ft. I must be overpriced. ;)

ranger520
11-09-2002, 06:29 PM
Can you imagine the look on this guys face when he goes and rents a lawnaire IV and does the first one he has ever done. Whew! he will be a no show for sure.

scott

Green Pastures
11-09-2002, 07:28 PM
I'm not even taking my Classen off the trailer for $35!

65hoss
11-09-2002, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Green Pastures
I'm not even taking my Classen off the trailer for $35! Heck, I'm not even showing up for $35.

ksland
11-09-2002, 08:13 PM
Has to be 3,000 even at that its lowballed

bubble boy
11-09-2002, 08:51 PM
if it is a misprint, imagine how mad he is!!!!!:eek:

crazygator
11-09-2002, 09:05 PM
Just a thought, maybe this guy was wanting it to say "$35 per thousand, up to 30,000 Sq Ft". In no way am I defending him, but that would be closer, with seed and fert.

Anyway he will learn, and sounds like the hard way. Its bad enough that we have to educate the people we work for, but having to educate the morons around us taking work from us as well, it gets old!

KLMlawn
11-09-2002, 09:12 PM
What is the number on the flyer ... I will keep it my Rolodex for next September ... hell if he is willing to aerate 30K for $35, he should be willing to bring his aerator to Long Island for a few dollars more .. NO???

ranger520
11-09-2002, 10:05 PM
Hey Currier,

Call for an estimate on your own lawn then let us know what he says. It would be interesting to see what the dude has to say.

Scott

Brickman
11-09-2002, 10:54 PM
Currier the best way to educate a guy like this is sub one or two of your large props to him, and give him a time line to be done in and you will give him an extra $20 if he is done when you think he should be. Take what you normally get and put that down on the new Ford PS truck you been wanting.

Seriously I would call a guy like this, and do what I could to break his back while he THOUGHT you were giving him work. If he intentionally lowballs this would be a way to smarten him up.

Currier
11-09-2002, 11:15 PM
Excellent ideas about educating this goober! I plan on calling him and asking about his machine, does he own it, experience with this type of work etc...

BUT....I now have another phone number that I can give to those folks who want weeds pulled on their 2 acre properties for dirt cheap, or a number for those nasty clients that sometimes like to waste our time. I'll load this guy up. Kill him with kindness:)

OR... maybe he can be educated enough to pull his head out, and maybe he will get his act together, either that or quit.

ksland
11-09-2002, 11:28 PM
I don't know, but...... He sure did give me a great new way of getting business by an advertisement. I advertised Leaf Cleanup, up to 30 truckloads of leaves, $50. Boy, you wouldn't believe how the phone is ringing off the hook. I have to hire at least another 12 guys just to keep up with the demand. If you guys know of anyone needing a job I will pay $75 an hour, Full benifits after one day and 4 week vacation after 1 month. Please call 1-800-YOU-OUTUMIND:rolleyes:

GreginAlaska
11-09-2002, 11:51 PM
Hmmm...Using our 60" landpride core aerator behind our New Holland 1530 at 3 mph (and it will do it even faster with enough weight) we could do 79,200 square feet an hour or 35,000 in about 28 minutes...of course this doesn't take in to account loading up, driving there, unloading, changing directions, dodging obstacles,running off the neighbors dog :D etc

I wonder if this guy just did some simple math and thinks that is all there is to it?

We don't pull out of the yard for any less than $100. we don't do a lot of aerating either :eek:

greenman
11-09-2002, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by ksland
Has to be 3,000 even at that its lowballed

No, thats about right for this area, just aeration. $10 per 1k.

Brickman
11-10-2002, 12:44 AM
Todd I was getting $50 for aeration, unless it was really small. Customers would pay that all day long. When you think that TGCL was about twice what I was there is a reason they were so happy to have me aerate.

greenman
11-10-2002, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Brickman
Todd I was getting $50 for aeration, unless it was really small. Customers would pay that all day long. When you think that TGCL was about twice what I was there is a reason they were so happy to have me aerate.

$50 for aeration on what size lawn? 5,000 sq.ft lawn (smaller than average lawn here) would be $50.Core aeration only.

Brickman
11-10-2002, 12:53 AM
I never measured for sure, but the $50 yards would only take 20 or 30 mins to do. One lawn I had was approx 15K and I did it in about 50 mins. Got $100 for that one. That would come out to two bucks a minute. I was doing it with a WB BlueBird 30" wide.

I never heard of lawn overseeding and slit seeding and such until I joined LS. Nobody ever does that here.

greenman
11-10-2002, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Brickman
I never measured for sure, but the $50 yards would only take 20 or 30 mins to do. One lawn I had was approx 15K and I did it in about 50 mins. Got $100 for that one. That would come out to two bucks a minute. I was doing it with a WB BlueBird 30" wide.

I never heard of lawn overseeding and slit seeding and such until I joined LS. Nobody ever does that here.

I measure everything and write it down for record keeping.

Seeding not done here either with warm season grasses unless its to have a cool season grass (tall fescue or winter rye) in the winter.

rodfather
11-10-2002, 03:06 PM
:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

That guy is definitely in for a rude awakening. Ain't no way Jose up to 30K for 35 bucks.

Either it was a misprint or maybe the guy is using that kind of technique as a "loss leader" to get himself in the door for other work.

Dunno?

bubble boy
11-10-2002, 09:29 PM
i thought about loss leader possibility.

but anyone thinking well enough to try such a thing would know he could double his price and still have a loss leader.

i wonder if any other prices were on the flyer?

JimLewis
11-10-2002, 10:45 PM
There are at least 3 companies that do the same thing in my area each year. One of them is a national company; Aerate America is what they were calling themselves last I saw. They travel all across the U.S. aerating lawns with rented aerators and trailers. They make decent $ too! And it's $35 up to 3,000, not 30,000. That was as misprint.

Anyway, this is a common business. There is even a book out there on Amazon about it.

You can actually make decent $ doing this. But the $ is seasonal. They lay out a thousand or so flyers one day and the flyers say, "We'll be back in this neighborhood tomorrow. If you want your lawn aerated, leave this slip on your garage door or front door where we can see it along with a check for $xx and we'll stop by." If they just get 40 takers that day, that's $1400. 2 guys can do that many in one day if they are all in the same neighborhood. And a lot of them are even on the same street.

It takes 15 minutes to aerate a 3000 sq. ft. lawn and 5 minutes to blow and clean-up. You can do a good 3-4 per hour. In 10 hours, that's 30-40 houses a day. Not bad $. Even if they split it 50/50 that's a good $500-750 per day before expenses (which are minimal).

I have a friend who owns such a company. He actually does all of our spring aerating for us. We are always way too busy in the spring time. So I charge all of my customers what I normally would ($75-125) and then he goes around and does them for me for $35 - $50. I make at least twice what I am paying him and I don't do anything except make a schedule out for him.

Currier
11-10-2002, 10:50 PM
"And it's $35 up to 3,000, not 30,000. That was as misprint."

I wish it was a misprint. It is not. I know it is impossible to believe that anyone could be this stupid, but evidently this guy is. He is not part of any large outfit that has a plan. He is a solitary single op that thinks he is a marketing genius

JimLewis
11-11-2002, 12:49 AM
There's no way dude. I think the guy just doesn't understand how much 30,000 sq. ft. is then. Because that would take several hours at best. Nobody puts out flyers wanting to make $10 or less per hour.

It just seems unbelievable because I know several companies in my area who put out ads for $35 for up to 3,000 sq. ft. This guy is obviously just copying those kind of companies and just made a miscalculation somewhere.