PDA

View Full Version : dormant seeding process?

plc87
10-09-2011, 10:00 AM
I think it's a little too late to seed in east central Iowa where I live right now, since frost is in the near future. I'm now looking at dormant seeding or spring seeding. The customers dont care as long as they get results. I usually do pre emergents last few days of March and also for my second round approx 2nd wk of may. Would I still get decent results with not much crabgrass if I dormant seeded later this fall and used straight fertilizer end of march, then hit it with pre emergents early May after grass has emerged? It's a larger area (20k sq ft) so expensive siduron isnt an option. They're a regular mowing customer so if a little crabgrass breakthrough is there I can stay on top of it with spot spraying. BUT if it's going to be a nightmare of crabgrass then i dont want to do it.

What's your opinion?

Smallaxe
10-09-2011, 04:06 PM
The seed should be up and running long before the pre-m is needed... pre-m is often put down around the time the forsythia blooms and tht is fine for lots of cold hardy broadleaf weeds, but way too early for CG... application 2-3 weeks later should be adequate...

CHARLES CUE
10-09-2011, 09:00 PM
When i frost seed or seed in the spring i never put down a pre till about the middle of may.

CG doesn't really take off till it gets hot out

You may get a few pieces but they can be sprayed in june

Good luck
Charles Cue

RigglePLC
10-10-2011, 09:46 PM
Seed now, IMHO. Your soil temps are still high. If you seed bluegrass plus rye, your grass should be an inch tall in 2 weeks--3 weeks if weather is cool. Frost will not hurt new grass--just slow it down, until it warms up. You won't have full time snow cover till about December 10 or 20th, right?

In spring the soil is cold--germination is very slow until the frost is fully out of the ground. You probably should not seed until the first week of April. Soil temp of about 50.
According to my test you have to wait at least until the new grass is 3 inches tall before you can treat with Dimension crabgrass control. Bluegrass would be much slower than ryegrass, of course.

Smallaxe
10-12-2011, 09:22 AM
... In spring the soil is cold--germination is very slow until the frost is fully out of the ground. You probably should not seed until the first week of April. Soil temp of about 50.
According to my test you have to wait at least until the new grass is 3 inches tall before you can treat with Dimension crabgrass control. Bluegrass would be much slower than ryegrass, of course.

The soil temps don't change for Spring seeding or Dormant seeding... I don't see the advantage of working the soil in April then seed, above having the seed in the ground ready to go, as soon as it warms up enough to do so...

plc87
10-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Anyone messed with tupersan? I was under the impression that the stuff was wildly expensive (like $300 an acre) but I was just talking to a fertilizer rep and he said an acre bag was only $125. Since these properties are only 20k sq ft then i'll probably just raise my price for the job by $60 and call it good. Thanks for all the input. I guess i'll still have to debate whether to dormant or spring seed. Dormant is right in the middle of good deer hunting so i'll probably go ahead with spring seeding :)

RigglePLC
10-12-2011, 02:11 PM
You should have about a month before the soil temp falls below 50. Most Iowa areas are about 65 as of Oct 11th. The last frost in spring is about
April 26th. I could not find the average soil temps for April. And it depends on where you are located.
http://extension.agron.iastate.edu/NPKnowledge/soiltemphistory.html