PDA

View Full Version : GIE held in October + why

americanlawn
10-09-2011, 05:34 PM
Anybody "working" during the GIE in October? Can you afford to leave your business during this time of year? Are you concerned about profit/loss? How about keeping current with additional customer requests as well as current jobs scheduled?

Spraying weeds?
Fall leaf clean-up jobs?
Core aerations?
Tree/shrub root feeding?
Starting your winterizer fert apps?
Pruning woody ornamentals?
Winterizing ornamental beds?

Just curious, cuz most of my local LCO buds also think it's a line of bull. rscp, thanks

JB1
10-09-2011, 05:36 PM
cause it was too damm hot when they had it in July.

easy-lift guy
10-09-2011, 06:26 PM
JB1 is correct. The show is 3 days not 3 weeks. As a vender for this same show I find the timing and location perfect, regarding your local LCO buds unless they have never been to the GIE show I will take their opinion for what it is worth.
easy-lift guy

TMlawncare
10-09-2011, 07:51 PM
I think the timing is about right. When it was in July it was extremely hot and very difficult to get away right in the middle of the season. At the end of October, business is winding down enough I can get away for a couple days. I am taking my two full time employees with me. We have been looking forward to it all season.

hackitdown
10-17-2011, 12:35 PM
The timing is bad (for me). I can never go. January or February in Florida near a beach would work for me.

jfoxtrot9
10-17-2011, 04:10 PM
JB1 is correct. The show is 3 days not 3 weeks. As a vender for this same show I find the timing and location perfect, regarding your local LCO buds unless they have never been to the GIE show I will take their opinion for what it is worth.
easy-lift guy

Out of touch.:hammerhead:

This is THE busiest time of year for me, hands down! I can't keep up with grass still growing full speed (with all this rain), still aerating, just started my last round of fertilizer and now leaves are dropping and fast!

But I guess my opinion doesn't matter...

GMLC
10-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Anybody "working" during the GIE in October? Can you afford to leave your business during this time of year? Are you concerned about profit/loss? How about keeping current with additional customer requests as well as current jobs scheduled?

Spraying weeds?
Fall leaf clean-up jobs?
Core aerations?
Tree/shrub root feeding?
Starting your winterizer fert apps?
Pruning woody ornamentals?
Winterizing ornamental beds?

Just curious, cuz most of my local LCO buds also think it's a line of bull. rscp, thanks

I agree 110%. This is my busy time of year with fall clean ups and my most profitable. I will not be going but really wanted to.

willretire@40
10-17-2011, 05:54 PM
This is the best time for vendors. Pushing there products for the spring.

slamjamrockinman
10-19-2011, 10:43 AM
I agree with the OP, I've been meaning to go for 3 years. Mid october- mid november is busy, busy, busy with leaves, then its getting ready for snow. So hard to pull away for a few days and make it out there.

JB1
10-19-2011, 11:00 AM
the show has done a complete 180, it used to be only dealers and mfg. people were the only ones who could go then they opened it up for the lawn and landscape companies.