PDA

View Full Version : What kind of push mower?

osmann_lawn
10-10-2011, 11:39 AM
I have a lawn care business just started this season. doing good so far want to get a better push mower. I have 2 that i really like let me know what you think? Want to spend under $800.00

Honda - http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/modeldetail.aspx?page=modeldetail&section=P2LM&modelname=HRC216PDA&modelid=HRC2163PDA

HUSQVARNA- http://www.husqvarna.com/us/landowner/products/lawn-mowers/hu800bbc/

Greyst1
10-10-2011, 12:55 PM
You'll want and need a self propel if your going to go 21. I wouldn't start off with a 21" but it's certainly doable. Look into a toro commercial self propel 21"

http://www.toro.com/en-us/professional-contractor/mowers/professional-21-walk-mower/Pages/Series.aspx?sid=Commercial-Mower

I have the lawnboy version and my bro has the Toro, you should be able to get it for about 950.00. If you going to do this start off with dependable equipment. The self propel honda version you listed is a great mower too.

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING
10-10-2011, 01:29 PM
I use lawn boy self propelled 21" and yard machines 21"
Posted via Mobile Device

Mikegyver
10-10-2011, 03:20 PM
If you have to stay under 800 I would go w/ the best one home depot sells. I really like the top of the line hrc216s but thats well over your price range. Would skip husky altogether.
Heres the one at HD. You will love the controls...the engine and the trany are not the best compared to the HRCs (I have both) but none the less a good starter mower. I have one a little cheaper than it w/ the homeowner controls...needless to say it stays back at the barn 99.9% of the time. The trans will start to slip in several years but by then hopefully you can upgrade. It will pull itself but not as good as when it is new.
http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Outdoor-Power-Equipment-Walk-Behind-Mowers-Self-Propelled-Mowers/Honda/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbxc3Z3le/R-100325494/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=1
*edit- the trans on this machine is hydro according to the honda site. I am guessing similar to the HRC but not 100% sure.
Hope this helps...
mike

osmann_lawn
10-10-2011, 03:27 PM
How much do you guys even use a push mower? i only really use it on one lawn but i would like it for a back up in case i cant get zero turn this year.

no to the husqvarnna?

osmann_lawn
10-10-2011, 03:29 PM
like my parents have had there craftsman push mower for 12 years? how long do they last for? and is the self propelled better?

madisonpressurewashing
10-10-2011, 04:22 PM
http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Outdoor-Power-Equipment-Walk-Behind-Mowers-Self-Propelled-Mowers/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbxc3/R-100325494/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
5 Year residential warranty

lawnkingforever
10-10-2011, 04:45 PM
There is no wrong answer, everybody has a different use for these smaller mowers. Somebody that uses these small push mowers extensively will need a commercial model, where someone else may get away with a cheaper one if it is not used very often.

Myself, I got away from the higher priced self propelled mowers. I sold my Honda and snapper and just bought the lightest non self propelled mower I could find. But this mower sees very limited use except for a couple steep inclines and a few tight areas where a larger mower does not make sense. The cheaper and lighter mower is a lot easier to use for my application than my Honda which was too heavy and too hard to turn. On the days I do bring it, I just throw it in the bed of the truck so I don't have to fight with it all day on my trailer. It might get used on two or three yards a day on average.
Posted via Mobile Device

osmann_lawn
10-10-2011, 04:54 PM
It seems like everybody likes that Honda. It says no deck wash system. Is that a bad thing?

osmann_lawn
10-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Thanks guys for the info

osmann_lawn
10-10-2011, 04:57 PM
I actually work at The Home Depot full time. I can't wait to get out of there! Hopfully next season my business will start going!! (started late in the season, everyone already had there mower guys picked out).

osmann_lawn
10-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Do they have striping kits for push mowers? i know the toro does. (not a big fan of toro)

bobcat48
10-10-2011, 10:01 PM
I use a regular craftsman and self propelled 21'' and its awesome had it for about five years i only use it a few times a week a bigger company around here has a craftsman
21'' on there trailer and only if it is not used that much it will work just as good.

Darryl G
10-10-2011, 10:22 PM
I haven't used a push mower in years...at least 5. I used to use it for trimming and some steep slopes because it was quicker than a string trimmer on this one lawn. I have a self propelled Honda 21 incher as well and that hasn't seen the trailer yet this season. I loaded it one day a week for one small fenced lawn area last year.

Lets get something straight....a push mower relies on you to push it. A self propelled mower has a drive system. They are different.

Mikegyver
10-10-2011, 10:29 PM
The hondas will stripe w/o a kit i have heard.

I used to use a 21" a ton. Now I have a 36" and I hardly use it at all. But when I need it i need it! Some customers will want to have their yard cut w/ a 21". Or a backyard your large mower cannot fit in. You will need one. Buy more than you need and it will reward you for years.
Mike

billythekid
10-10-2011, 10:44 PM
I have a push lawn boy. if it ran perfect it would cut better but it mulches real nice and it's great for stuff you wouldn't dare take a bigger mower on i like it because you can go back and forth as much as you need to instead of dealing with the self propelled bullshit. if you're going to use it for just odds and end i'd find one that mulches and side discharges. if you do really tall stuff with the mulching mowers you'll either be there all day or ruin the mower.

dieseltech
10-11-2011, 01:30 PM
I use a exmark 21x and i have a lawnboy 10545. I love them both. The lawnboy is 16 years old and runs like brand new
Posted via Mobile Device

watsmi57
10-12-2011, 04:22 PM
I have had several self propelled 21's. Sooner or later you will have trouble with the drive system. You are better of with a straight push.

In my opinion the best 21 is a high rear wheel, straight push, with as much engine as you can find. Think Sears sells one for about $200. You can buy 4 of those for $800.

I was never able to justify buying a commercial grade 21 either. seemed kinda silly to me, but I also never use a 21 anymore since I got my 36. The 36 cuts it or the trimmer cuts it. My 36 fits in a 36 inch gate too. My 21's sit in storage now.

Also if you buy from a big box store. Be prepared for it to be down about 3 weeks everytime you need something fixed.

2 golden rules in this business. buy commercial equipment and buy from a dealer.

Darryl G
10-12-2011, 04:51 PM
I have a push lawn boy. if it ran perfect it would cut better but it mulches real nice and it's great for stuff you wouldn't dare take a bigger mower on i like it because you can go back and forth as much as you need to instead of dealing with the self propelled bullshit. if you're going to use it for just odds and end i'd find one that mulches and side discharges. if you do really tall stuff with the mulching mowers you'll either be there all day or ruin the mower.

Back and forth can be good for getting small tight areas but I hope you're not pulling it backwards like I see some homeowners do.

osmann_lawn
10-12-2011, 05:09 PM
So the question is self propelled or push? In your opinions what is the best way to go? The Honda Push Commercial Mower 21' goes under 800. Just does not have the drive system.

Darryl G
10-12-2011, 05:30 PM
If you're mowing with it, self propelled. If you're using it as a trim mower (edges, tight areas, medians etc. too big to use string trimmer) push mower.

billythekid
10-12-2011, 07:12 PM
sorry darryl i was confused by your question. It is a push mower so i have no drive system to damage. by back and forth i mean you can stand on top of a hill or what have you roll it down the hill and pull it back up or things like that.

Darryl G
10-12-2011, 07:24 PM
sorry darryl i was confused by your question. It is a push mower so i have no drive system to damage. by back and forth i mean you can stand on top of a hill or what have you roll it down the hill and pull it back up or things like that.

That's what I was afraid of. It's a push mower, not a pull mower. A great way to end up with an amputation is to pull a mower up a hill, so that if you slip your feet end up under it.