PDA

View Full Version : Trailer help

Expert Lawns
11-09-2002, 03:57 PM
what do you guys do to keep your mower(s) from bouncing around on your trailers? i have a 6X10 open and i'm thinking about nailing 2x4 blocks to the floor to hold the front tires in place. (exmark lazer zhp 48''). do you think this will work? what have you had luck with? i don't like taking the time to strap it down after each lawn. thanks in advance for the tips. :p

ranger520
11-09-2002, 04:15 PM
I know here in Minnesota that the DOT requires that they be tied down and they are hot on Lawn care guy as they are easy targets. They want to see that you are tied down all four corners. Just food for thought.

scott

pilotcoplawnboy
11-09-2002, 04:53 PM
You may want to put a u-bolt somewhere on the trailer near the tires and hook a clip from the mower to the u-bolt. You want to make sure that the u-bolt is properly mounted to the trailer so it doesn't come lose. Just food for thought. Since the majority of our business is in the same area we don't have to tie them down until we are finished. Good luck!

1grnlwn
11-09-2002, 05:02 PM
Slow down!!!!

AL Inc
11-09-2002, 06:11 PM
Call me crazy but I was thinking the same thing.

Green Pastures
11-09-2002, 06:22 PM
http://www.green-touch.com/item81423.ctlg

These work great for me.

mdb landscaping
11-09-2002, 06:33 PM
i use the greentouch tie down on my scag walkbehind. works great. i just use the e brake on my lazer, and it hardly ever moves.

Expert Lawns
11-09-2002, 08:11 PM
well, i don't drive fast, so that can't be it :) but my trailer was a bit raised, so i bought a larger drop on my hitch. i think that is really helping. thanks for the advice, and keep it comin'

Jusmowin
11-09-2002, 08:44 PM
I use ratchet straps to hold my equipment, this has worked for me.

Doogiegh
11-09-2002, 11:17 PM
Yep, ratchet straps here for me as well. Quick and easy to lock and unlock stuff up and you know as you're clamping it it's tight and will hold..

Keep a knife/razor in your tool box though just in case the ratcheting mechanism wacks out and you can't get the belt loose..

Happened to me ONE time.. Man the spring clip bent, there was NOTHING I could do to get it off, AND it was under tension so that just made it worse.. Had no choice but to cut it off.

I know that you can also use your truck Cigarette lighter to MELT the strap off if you really get desperate...

Many forget that the old cigarette lighter is a great tool that we all have in our trucks.

Gary

LB Landscaping
11-09-2002, 11:26 PM
I use ratchet straps too, quick easy and cheap. I got 4 for about $2o. I use one for each mower. They hold nice and tight so you don't have to worry about bouncing and movement.

GLS
11-09-2002, 11:45 PM
Ratchets here also.

2" heavy duty ratchet tie downs 10,000 lbs break strength, 3300 lbs working load. $20 each w/24' of strap (I trimmed mine down).

I ditched the 1" tie downs (900 lbs working load) because I had two fray and snap. Larger rachets are also much easier to use.

HarryD
11-10-2002, 12:41 AM
hey scott
could you take a few close up pics of the tie down strap on your green touch straps i think i could make my own

jason r.
11-10-2002, 12:52 AM
expert lawns, i did exactly what you are thinking about doing. it works great! i parked my lazer exactly where i wanted it on the trailer and outlined the front tires. cut the 2"x 4"s to size and screwed them down using 'L' brackets i bought at home depot for about $3. works great, and my lazer never moved an inch since.

KLMlawn
11-10-2002, 01:32 AM
Honestly, all of us should have everything locked down, machines , gas cans, trimmers, tool boxes, EVERYTHING. Whether you have an open or an enclosed trailer ... accidents do happen and I have already seen 3-4 pics posted on this site alone of some poor bastards equipment all over the highway with his truck and trailer on their side. It isn't even the point of trying to protect the equipment ... if you are unfortunate enough to be involved in such a catostrophic disaster .. it would be a shame if your ZTR went sailing off the side of the trailer and ran over or hit a child, or your chainsaw or trimmer went thru someone windshield... stranger things have happened. All could help be prevented by taking an extra 2-3 minutes at every job to strap your stuff down.
Around here, that is one thing DOT looks for also .. just one more reason as "ranger 520" already pointed out.

Ray&Christine
11-10-2002, 01:48 AM
I use the ***-lock type straps. For me they seem quicker to use than the ratchet straps. They are not as strong as the ratchet straps but I have not had one break on me yet and seem strong enough for equipment I have.

Ray

The Mowerdude
11-10-2002, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by Ray&Christine
I use the ***-lock type straps.
Ray

What is it that you said that got all the asterisks? I can't think of any kind of lock that would trigger the profanity filters. :dizzy:

Or maybe that old age dimensia is hitting me again. :)

CMerLand
11-10-2002, 09:55 AM
Expert Lawn,

Go with the 2x4 thought, it works great. In fact its probably one of the best pieces of advice I've gotten off of lawnsite. I used to carry my walker and two 48s turned alternately sideways on a 14' trailer. Was a tight fight, and had to turn the walker rear wheel around to get it all to fit. The machines would hop and the walker twice took out the air filter cover on the 48 behind it. For some reason though the Toro doesnt seem to move a bit on the trailer.

KLM,

Im urging you to quickly move from Long Island, or at the very least, campaign very hard to have Hillary removed from office up there. I can see her "It takes a village" attitude is slowly rotting at your brain and alot of other people's in this country.

Do you mean to say you be less sympathetic or feel less worse in your gut if your mower took out some old woman walking by the road or some single 40 something guy? This whole lexicon in America about everything being about "the children" or holding a child up as shield for every argument has got to end.

Im sure, you would feel just as saddened even if you killed a stray dog by accident as any of us would. Dont buy into some politicians "Im holier than thou" attitude because he/she is :cry: :cry: :cry: "Doing it all for the chillllldreeeennnnn!!!!:cry: :cry: :cry:

CMerrick

For the record I love children (and old people and all the people in between), and have a 2.5 year old on my lap as I type this.

KLMlawn
11-10-2002, 01:46 PM
No CMerLand, Hillary is not rotting at my brain, just attempting to use the same means as most other types of media, including tv, newscast, and papers do to bring a point home .... give a worst possible and most touching panacia to tug at the heartstrings ...
But getting back to the point at hand, it still would be a good idea to have everything safe and secure, it would also inconvenience the odd equipment theif if they decided to target you and your equipment if they had extra things to have to cut or untie in the effort to relieve you of you hard earned dollars and investments..

1grnlwn
11-10-2002, 02:29 PM
*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** It seans to be the word *** C A M that triggers the system.

1grnlwn
11-10-2002, 06:08 PM
Ya know If your trailer turns over you are going with it. I would rather the trailer dump the stuff off and stay on my wheels. Besides a horrible high enregy wreck will probably take place out on the highway no bystanders or dogs around. I only strap to keep things from shifting. Let it go it, it will all junk be anyway!
Mark

Green Pastures
11-10-2002, 08:47 PM
tie down at an angle

Green Pastures
11-10-2002, 08:49 PM
form above

stslawncare
11-10-2002, 10:45 PM
nice shoes there green pastures :-)

Green Pastures
11-11-2002, 10:11 AM
Those are my bedroom slippers! I was wondering if someone would notice.

Strawbridge Lawn
11-11-2002, 02:41 PM
I bungee the Honda 21 and that is it. 34 Rider is up front and Z-HP52 is over the tandem axles. Little or no movement.