PDA

View Full Version : Bob Cat Ransomes any good?

flyingdutch16
10-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Hey guys,

Im looking into a walkbehind mower because it would make work so much easier on the hills and the ztr is just tearing up the grass to much on the hills. With that being said i will only be cutting 3 lawns with this walkbehind so it doesent need to be that fancy or anything like that. Dont really wanna spend more then 700. So i found this bobcat Ransomes on craigslist. The main purpose would be for hills so would that particular walkbehind be good on hills?

Or should i be looking at for example a, scag, exmark, or even ferris?

Your help/response is greatly appreciated!

Here is the link btw http://baltimore.craigslist.org/grd/2612957233.html

bobcat48
10-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Bobcats are nice mowers i see them alot around here.

flyingdutch16
10-10-2011, 09:03 PM
will they be good on hills tho? Got potential lawns around here with fairly steep hills

nightshutter
10-11-2011, 12:21 AM
not sure about that one but i love mine. use it everyday

Keith
10-11-2011, 01:01 AM
Looks to be about 20 years old with the 12.5 Kawasaki. Find out if it has the variable speed trans or 5 speed gear box. You might have trouble getting parts for the old variable. If they cannot tell you, variable has gearbox that was off to one side (left, I believe) rather than being centered like a traditional transmission you would be used to seeing on a walk behind. On a variable, the speed selector is also up the handlebars. It has a lever that looks like the blade engagement lever on the opposite side.

nortonlawncare
10-11-2011, 04:15 PM
I have a ransomes mower, its 20 years old 12.5hp engine 48 inch cut. I love it this thing always starts first or second pull. Never any serious work done to the mower, just change the oil grease it up and go. it mows great makes stripes beautifully. As for going up steep hills it does ok really steep ones i have to help it along.

elitelawnteam1
10-14-2011, 09:40 AM
It depends if it's a hydro or not. Belt drive WBs slip a LOT on hills. I used an Metro 48 with ECS for a few days this summer. It was HELL

rflawnman
10-15-2011, 03:35 PM
you can't go wrong for that price, I have a 48 and 36 like that and both are 20+ years old and still going strong, I do have to make repairs on them ever now and then but that comes with age..as for belts slipping, if they are worn out or not adjusted right then they'll slip otherwise they work just fine..

plus they stripe nicely..