PDA

View Full Version : Need a Bahia Cutting mower next year.

olebrooklawn
10-10-2011, 07:59 PM
What brands and type of mower would you recommend?

unkownfl
10-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Take your exmark and lower the blades even with the bottom of the deck and it should cut great.

Florida Gardener
10-10-2011, 08:02 PM
What brands and type of mower would you recommend?

Run as fast as you can from bahia
Posted via Mobile Device

olebrooklawn
10-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Take your exmark and lower the blades even with the bottom of the deck and it should cut great.

Never heard of that. How do I got by doing that?

LaLawnGuy
10-10-2011, 08:34 PM
What do you have now? Where are you located?
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
10-10-2011, 08:47 PM
It's not the mower, it's how you cut it and the blades. I used to be afraid of Bahia but not anymore.

LaLawnGuy
10-10-2011, 08:53 PM
It's not the mower, it's how you cut it and the blades. I used to be afraid of Bahia but not anymore.
Please expound. I have excellent luck with Hustler XR7 and pre-ICD Ferris' and low lift blades. Also Gator G6's. My Grasshoppers do ok with same blade setups.
Posted via Mobile Device

olebrooklawn
10-10-2011, 09:12 PM
What do you have now? Where are you located?
Posted via Mobile Device Deep south Mississippi.

olebrooklawn
10-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Please tell the secret on how it works.

LaLawnGuy
10-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Deep south Mississippi.

Used to live in Tupelo, no I'm in central LA. Got a buddy here with Exmark Triton, he lowers lip all the way down and opens discharge chute completely. Low lift blades always work best for us.
Posted via Mobile Device

olebrooklawn
10-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Used to live in Tupelo, no I'm in central LA. Got a buddy here with Exmark Triton, he lowers lip all the way down and opens discharge chute completely. Low lift blades always work best for us.
Posted via Mobile Device

My exmark deck doesn't have a baffle. I have the new deck they came out with I think.

mobileboy
10-10-2011, 09:48 PM
My Husky PZ6029 cuts it beautifully. I've never seen it cut better by another mower. I know the Scag Velocity deck does a good job on Bahia as well.

LaLawnGuy
10-10-2011, 10:00 PM
Deck pitch makes a big difference. Probably the best thing I've done is getting a MagnaMatic sharpener and balancer, my blades still cut bahia after lunch when I used to have to change them halfway through the day.
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
10-10-2011, 10:21 PM
Never heard of that. How do I got by doing that?

Move all the spacers to the top side of the blade until its even with the front and bottom of your deck. You may need more spacers and longer bolts. Make sure you have like 4 turns on each bolt in at least or get longer bolts. I use medium lift blades but it doesn't matter I usually have dull blades. Just remember Bahia tears up the decks because of the sand(at least here).

olebrooklawn
10-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Deck pitch makes a big difference. Probably the best thing I've done is getting a MagnaMatic sharpener and balancer, my blades still cut bahia after lunch when I used to have to change them halfway through the day.
Posted via Mobile Device

how far do i need to pitch my deck. I haven't move it since I got it new. Does it need to go up or down more?

olebrooklawn
10-10-2011, 11:06 PM
Move all the spacers to the top side of the blade until its even with the front and bottom of your deck. You may need more spacers and longer bolts. Make sure you have like 4 turns on each bolt in at least or get longer bolts. I use medium lift blades but it doesn't matter I usually have dull blades. Just remember Bahia tears up the decks because of the sand(at least here).

where do I get more spacers and longer bolts at? does my dealer have em?

LaLawnGuy
10-10-2011, 11:24 PM
how far do i need to pitch my deck. I haven't move it since I got it new. Does it need to go up or down more?
I have mine pitched 1\4 inch (lower in front), there should be instructions in your owners manual.
Be sure your deck belt tension is correct as well. Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
10-11-2011, 04:34 AM
Please tell the secret on how it works.

Bahia tends to grow a little long and a little thick. First you have to chop it up before it ever gets out of the deck. Regular Gators are okay at this but Gator G6 blades pulverize Bahia. Now that you've got the grass out of the deck at a decent length you need to get rid of it. I've seen other guys cut Bahia and when they leave it looks like a hayfield. They just can't get rid of the clippings. The secret there is to not try to cut Bahia as low as your mower will go. The clippings have to have somewhere to hide and when you have that many clippings and cut the grass really short there is nowhere to hide them. Cut Bahia higher and it gives the clippings somewhere to go. I start my season out at 2.5" and increas the height as the Bahia grows more. At the height of Bahia growth I'll cut Bahia at 3.25" just so the Bahia can fall down into the higher grass and hide.

watsmi57
10-12-2011, 04:29 PM
sharp blades and proper ground speed are the keys to cutting bahia. no one mower does it the best.