PDA

View Full Version : How do you cleanup while it's raining?

swbluto
10-10-2011, 07:06 PM
So, I get done mowing and trimming someone's yard and I pull out the blower and try blowing the grass off the sidewalks. No go. It's sticking like bubblegum to someone's braces.

I tried brushing it off, and it still wouldn't come off.

How do you clean up while it's raining?

93Chevy
10-10-2011, 07:34 PM
1. Wet sidewalks with wet grass are easier to clean than dry sidewalks with wet grass.

2. Wet grass on wet sidewalks will slide...although slowly...with a blower

3. Wet grass on dry sidewalks will stick and never come off..so blow off what you can and move on.

4. Don't drive with the blades on over hard surfaces or you'll paint the grass on.

5. Don't shut the blades off over a hard surface or your mower will move its bowels and you'll have to clean up major material.

6. Don't drive the mower wheels with wet grass over dry sidewalks or you'll never get it off.

Speaking from experience here.

williams lcm
10-10-2011, 08:05 PM
When its raining I don't edge. It just makes a mess. I just mow and string trim when needed. I have a mulch kit so I dont have much debis on sidewalk or driveway. Most of the time when its raining I dont blow because the rain will wash it away. Most people will understand. Just try not to blow grass all over the place with the mower. This will cut down on the mess.

travski
10-10-2011, 08:37 PM
you need a more powerful blower. I use a Stihl Magnum 600 backpack blower. no more mess.

nightshutter
10-10-2011, 10:07 PM
When its raining I use my backpack blower

weeze
10-10-2011, 10:07 PM
you don't...i was cutting a yard once and it started raining halfway through the trimming...i got all the mowing done first and trimming in the rain sucked big time...the grass gets super tough....but i finished....don't blow it off....the rain didn't wash it off either....if it rains really hard it might....i told the lady the rain should wash it off and if it doesn't then call me and i'll come blow it off when it was dry again....got a call the next day saying it didn't wash off so i went and blew it off....really the best thing is if you aren't close to finishing and it starts to rain just stop where you are and finish when it stops raining and is dry again...like if you are cutting the front yard and haven't gotten to the back yard yet just finish the front then leave...go back the next day or when it's dry and finish up...the customer will understand.

93Chevy
10-10-2011, 10:12 PM
LOL...you guys are jokes...don't blow it off...LOL

dutchacres
10-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Big backpack blower or pressure washer is your only option. I had a guy one time mow and drive across about 30 driveways in this condo complex we mowed. We run mulch kits so the drive tires pick up all kinds of grass and it was spring and it was wet so needless to say he made a huge mess. The HOA was pissed to say the least and we had to go and pressure wash every drive to keep the account which we ended up losing that fall anyway. I still mow in the rain but just watch what you are doing and get as little on the concrete as possible. Trim so all the grass blows into the grass it makes life a lot easier!!

Turf Tracer
10-10-2011, 10:40 PM
i use the string trimmer to get off grass stuck to pavement.

Works Good

easy-lift guy
10-11-2011, 07:12 AM
I make it clear to the customer in the beginning of the business relationship that I do not edge or string trim if it is raining before or during my visit. Here in SW Florida it is a given that when you compete with the weather the weather will win, further more it is just not worth accident or injury. I have seen far to many other people try to fight mother nature and loose very badly.
easy-lift guy

nepatsfan
10-11-2011, 07:41 AM

amazing isnt it.

Glenn Lawn Care
10-11-2011, 10:43 AM
I take my blower to it with no problem, its usually slower than normal but I get it done!

Agape
10-11-2011, 12:32 PM
I don't usually concern myself with grass bits on the walk, I blow with the br600 magnum but I also mention to my customers that althoug we blow the walks and drive, it is not a "pressure washing" type of service and things will be a bit messier in the rain and the occational bits in the grass. people are really cool about it.
I had 1 customer this year complain about his sidewalk cause we fertillized and although I watched my guy blow the walks, the bits were gray and I couldn't see that he missed some so there were about 3-4 streaks per square on the sidewalk (not in the drive).

I'll sure miss that customer....but needless to say, I fert. when it's dry and make sure it's blown well.

I certainly wouldn't offer to come back seperately if the rain didn't wash the grass bits (green) away.

Agape
10-11-2011, 12:41 PM
I should mention, however, that I am careful to go in and out of a lawn the same way, and stop the blades at the edge of a lawn to make as little mess as possible.

Damian
10-11-2011, 04:11 PM
Depending on the amount of moisture, I change my pattern if necessary and use the water to my advantage, in turn, using the force of the discharge to "power wash" the pavement. In other words, blow against the direction of water.

'Course, if it's too bad, I just blow it off... :laugh:

weeze
10-11-2011, 04:44 PM
i just do my best to never get caught in the rain...only hapened 1 time all season.

Get Some...
10-11-2011, 04:59 PM
What is this "rain" stuff you folks are talking about......

93Chevy
10-11-2011, 05:41 PM
amazing isnt it.

LOL, yeah...oh, Mrs. Nesbit doesn't want us to come when it's raining, so if we happen to get caught in a rain storm, we just won't trim or blow anything.

Yeah...

Keep up the good work...

yardatwork
10-11-2011, 06:10 PM
I mow to keep up with the growing grass, but I do not trim during rain. I'll just get to it next time.

93Chevy
10-11-2011, 07:44 PM
I mow to keep up with the growing grass, but I do not trim during rain. I'll just get to it next time.

Why?

What possible good reason is there not to trim? You're there to make the property look good. Just because the weather doesn't cooperate shouldn't mean you get a pass.

greenerman
10-11-2011, 07:57 PM
Wear raingear.

Turf Tracer
10-11-2011, 08:18 PM
yea, i have to cut in the rain all the time.

even if its dry and you run over grass on pavement it will stick.

Just string trim it off if its real bad

93Chevy
10-11-2011, 08:28 PM
I haven't called a rain day once this year...and believe me...it's rained a lot this year.

I called one early day with a storm that came right after lunch one day.

If me and my guys don't work, we don't get paid. And everybody would rather work in the rain than than on Saturday. So in rain we work.

RLS24
10-11-2011, 08:35 PM
We try not to cut in the rain if we can avoid it. Good pre-planning always helps with that. For example, its a 80% chance of rain all day tomorrow so I went out and mowed tomorrows lawns today. Theres some lawns we just wont cut in the rain because the second they get wet, you lose the lawn and end up making more of a mess than its worth. others with better drainage we will cut. We trim selectively, as in I am very careful to avoid siding, and white fences ESPECIALLY the vinyl stuff. The grass tends to stick to and streak/stain those types of surfaces horribly when its wet. As far as blowing, big backpack blower. We'll spend more time blowing than actually cutting the lawn, but we get it done and it looks halfway decent.

dutchacres
10-11-2011, 08:40 PM
You guys that don't do a complete job are crazy! I would never step foot on a property that if I wasn't going to do the complete job. Do you atleast discount them since you only did half the service? I will just tell you what I tell my guys if you don't do the job someone else will. It does suck to mow and trim and blow in the rain but if it has to be done it has to be done. There are things that I hate about lawn care mainly trimming bushes but you know what I still do it and make the customer happy. If I did work like that my customers would be calling before I got off there property.
Posted via Mobile Device

2stroked
10-11-2011, 08:41 PM
I try the best I can, but I don't spend forever on it

Agape
10-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Wow, I live in NW Oregon and it's unthinkable to skip rainy days. If the drainage is good, it's not a prob.- if drainage is bad, I'll be happy to give them an estimate. I will NEVER rearrange my schedule or method of operation to accommodate a crappy lawn. I'm not going to buy a cheap, light, push mower because they won't do 2-300 bucks worth of drainage. JMO

tyler_mott85
10-11-2011, 10:27 PM

Torrential downpours are really good at washing away grass. I'd rather use water to move something wet then use air to move something wet. :cool2:

93Chevy
10-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Torrential downpours are really good at washing away grass. I'd rather use water to move something wet then use air to move something wet. :cool2:

Well, yeah, if the rain is actively washing the debris off the walks...okay...but still...it won't wash everything and where does it go...it'll just pile up somewhere.