PDA

View Full Version : Gained & Lost Same Customer in One Day!

douglee25
10-10-2011, 08:56 PM
I had to chuckle after this happened today. A friend of mine, his parents moved into a new house and the lawn is way overdue. My buddy gave them contact info for another landscaper that does work in his neighborhood (he sort of knows the guy indirectly). Two weeks go by and the landscaper fails to call his parents back. My buddy then referred me to his parents. I spoke with her last night at 8PM and I showed up to walk the job at 10AM. The job was 1/2 acre property. It's 12 miles round trip from the home base. I charged them $45 plus tax. I figured it out that after fuel costs, insurance, equipment depreciation and maintenance costs, etc I'm clearing around $28. I double cut the whole property and basically lost money the first time around. Initially they wanted me to finish out the season and then start next spring as well. I finish up and the lady is blown away how well it looks. After she pays me she tells me that the other landscaper called back and is still scheduled to come over to evaluate the job. Ok I guess I'm in a bidding war I'm thinking? Nevertheless, I just got a phone call from them and apparently they have hired the other landscaper to finish out the year and start next spring. I'm confused I said? She goes on to say he was much much cheaper than me. I inquired and asked for the price. She told me $30/cut. I think the guy is quite a bit larger than me and he has zero accounts in the neighborhood. I told her to keep my number as I'm pretty sure he will be late again. I don't know how the guy is making any money on the job whatsoever. No to mention that he was 2 weeks late to just return a phone call. So I gained and lost the same customer in one day! That's got to be a new record for me!

Doug

WenzelOSLLC
10-10-2011, 09:10 PM
I wonder if she told him the price you were charging and he just went lower to get the job and raise it next year.

Funny how people over look quality and reliability when they see a lower price.

CHRIS92789
10-10-2011, 09:24 PM
It is even more funny how it is your "buddys" parents who just screwed ya.

douglee25
10-10-2011, 10:57 PM
Yeah comical to say the least. Oh well live and learn.

Doug

easy-lift guy
10-11-2011, 08:22 AM
It is only business, don' take it personal. Never bring it up to your buddy's parents. Move on and understand that could happen under the best of intentions again, the key is to nip it in the bud before that happens.
easy-lift guy

BPS##
10-11-2011, 08:35 AM
I've gotten and lost customers the same day but I don't think I had already done work for them. The usual excuse I get is that "my husband/wife had already hired some one and didn't tell me".

What a fickle person your buddy's mom is!
You don't need that kind of customer any way.

Golfpro21
10-11-2011, 08:50 AM
yes your better off without them, things happen for a reason

douglee25
10-11-2011, 09:37 AM
It is only business, don' take it personal. Never bring it up to your buddy's parents. Move on and understand that could happen under the best of intentions again, the key is to nip it in the bud before that happens.
easy-lift guy

My buddy called me after he spoke to his mother. He said he felt bad for wasting my time. I told him it was just business and I wasn't upset in the least, but I did find it ironic nonetheless.

I've gotten and lost customers the same day but I don't think I had already done work for them. The usual excuse I get is that "my husband/wife had already hired some one and didn't tell me".

What a fickle person your buddy's mom is!
You don't need that kind of customer any way.

Agreed!

yes your better off without them, things happen for a reason

X2

Doug