PDA

View Full Version : Aerator finally useable

1grnlwn
11-09-2002, 06:35 PM
This thing is so heavy it goes a lot deeper than my walk behind. So deep it tears in turns. So I wasnt using it except for big yards( few and far between at $200 a pop). Finally got a hydraulic lift made, its great. Can set wheels from going too deep and tearing in turns.

1grnlwn
11-09-2002, 06:38 PM
Power plant.

Currier
11-09-2002, 11:21 PM
Nice looking setup. Also what a great problem to have..."yes mr/mrs... I find that this machine often digs in so deep that I have had to adapt it in order to regulate its depth..."

How does it do in drier conditions?
Also, if you don't mind my asking, how much was the aerator?

1grnlwn
11-09-2002, 11:25 PM
Around a grand I think. Aerator only. Does great in drier soil. But in super dry times I just stay home (so to speak)

Mark

ksland
11-09-2002, 11:31 PM
Too bad your competition is doing aerations up to 30,000 sf for $35.

1grnlwn
11-10-2002, 03:32 PM
That beats my $150.

vipermanz
11-11-2002, 06:34 AM
from a safety standpoint, you might want to clean out what appears to be leaves from under the housing, might be a fire hazard in the future:)

wallzwallz
11-11-2002, 08:32 AM
What did the hydraulic lift cost you? Did you make it yourself or aftermarket add on?

1grnlwn
11-11-2002, 09:40 AM
Vpemz No heat source No fire hazard

Pump around $400 Cylinder $70 Brackets I made myself. Amount of back breaking work saved Priceless.

Mark

HarryD
11-11-2002, 12:54 PM
now all you need to do is paint your brackets get a patent and start selling them suckers

what are you pulling it with and what do you have the power hooked up to

vipermanz
11-11-2002, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by 1grnlwn
Vpemz No heat source No fire hazard

Mark

DOH!!!:blush:

1grnlwn
11-11-2002, 11:11 PM
Harry D

Yea that paint thing. Aeration season was short around here, I built it in two days and used it the next 3. Thats what winter is for (painting) The power supply was my battery out of my small rider. It is back in rider now. Pull it with my Ferris IS 60 23HP.

Mark

Tony Harrell
11-12-2002, 06:54 AM
I've seen those being used with tractors. I was wondering what you pulled it with before your last post. That's the main reason I was looking into getting a small tractor with turf tires. Do you think your hydros will be ok pulling that around? If so, I wouldn't need a tractor for it. Why not get us a parts list and maybe a schematic so next year we all can benefit from your ingenuity. Thanks

1grnlwn
11-12-2002, 09:23 AM
I don't worry too much about hydros. Don't use it that much. Probably like going up a good hill. Just use in cool weather and keep oil clean. I had to smoke wrench off 1 little piece. So I need a redesign before going global. LOL

David Haggerty
11-12-2002, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by 1grnlwn
That beats my $150.

That's what I charge. I keep telling my customers that is a reasonable price. Now I'm not so sure. Does that include fertilizing too?
I charge $5/K for just coring. That's double pass, pulling 1" or longer plugs. I need to keep my price down because I do high volume accounts. Yesterday I aerated 8 acres.

I was drawn to this thread by the title. I just spent a week working my aerator over too. That's a neat solution you've worked up. I didn't even know they had little electro/hydraulic power packs like that. They might be good to lift trailer gates.

I aproached the problem of tearing out the holes on the turns differently. I made a joint between the ZTR and the aerator. Then I figured out you just can't push an articulated vehicle. So then I reversed the steering on the ZTR to pull the aerator. You can imagine how bad it's looking by now, but it works.
To make it all the worse, origionally the ZTR was painted the color of this guy :alien: Then I painted it this color:sleeping:
I'll post a pic if anyone wants to see it, but I'll warn you it makes you kind of nauseous to look at it.

I'm with you on painting this winter. I'm going to paint mine red with white wheels.

Dave

1grnlwn
11-12-2002, 10:48 AM
I can't quite picture your rig a pic would be nice.

Mark

scott's turf
11-12-2002, 11:14 AM
Hey Mark, where did you buy that 12VDC pump and cylinder? What is the max pressure of that pump? Cylinder diameter? Thanks

David Haggerty
11-12-2002, 08:31 PM
I must have watched too much "Monster Garage"
Here's my 50 hp diesel powered aerator.

The seat used to face the other direction. I remounted it and cut off the mounting for the levers and turned them around.
The aerator is a 5' Mill Creek Aerator that I bought last year.

Last year I had it mounted to the front of a Toro Groundsmaster 325-D.
But it was a stiff mount, so it was always tearing out the holes just trying to steer it. Plus the Toro was a 4 wheel drive. If I hit a muddy spot it would fling mud with all four wheels. What a mess!

This set up actually works better. The mount lets the aerator move from side to side. The springs keep it centered when I raise the aerator. In a tight spot I just raise the aerator, back in, drop it and go. It has about a 15' turning radius without tearing out the holes.
Today I took it thru the building at Ferno into the courtyard. I did a decent job in there without tearing the place up. Of course the job called for a walk behind aerator, but I don't have one. Plus I was done in about 15 minutes. :D

I've got to get it painted though.

Dave

HarryD
11-12-2002, 09:21 PM
that machine looks like a old hustler we used to use to push snow

1grnlwn
11-13-2002, 12:09 AM
That is quite a beast!

David Haggerty
11-13-2002, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by HarryD
that machine looks like a old hustler we used to use to push snow

I used to have a 400 series Hustler. This thing is much larger. the drive tires are 29" in diameter. With all the decks it weighed around 4500#

It's overkill for an aerator, but I had it for sale for a year with no takers, so I thought I'd put it back to work.

Here's what it used to look like. It cut a 12' swath.
I just had no more use for it after getting the Toro 580-D

scott's turf
11-27-2002, 10:38 AM
Sorry to bring this thread back but I need to know where you got that 12vdc pump and how much current draw it is? I am looking for one for my laser and the ones I found draw around 120A. I know that the alternator is only a 13A charger and not sure if that means that I must have a pump that draws less than that. Hopefully Mark you can answer that for me or someone else can. Thanks for you help.

-Scott

HarryD
11-27-2002, 01:20 PM
I was right I loved the one handed controls took some skill to run that baby you could really get that thing bucking if you wernt real careful
we set ours up to push the aerator I see you turned the seat around that is what threw me off

1grnlwn
11-28-2002, 12:50 AM
Scott , The pump is from Northern Equipment. I just put lawn mower battery on top of aerator and used that. Did not have electrics hooked to mower.

Mark