PDA

View Full Version : New F550 V10 price

4 seasons lawn&land
10-10-2011, 08:15 PM
They are all diesels. Anyone know what a 4wd V10 price is like?

Marek
10-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Right now 2011 550 reg. cab 4x4 35-37k i would think. Call Century Ford in Mt Aiery MD and ask for Mike Allen . This guy is no bs and know ford trucks better than Ford does.We have the v 10 in a 450 . Great engine ! Alsomst the same or better mpg then the 6.4s and wont end up in the shop like the 6.0 or 6.4. Time will tell with the 6.7

4 seasons lawn&land
10-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Is that MSRP? Sounds high for actual sale price. Dodge 5500 with Cummins is 40k after you beat them down.

PlantscapeSolutions
10-12-2011, 12:54 AM
I could not even imagine buying a medium duty truck without a Diesel. Once you hook up a decent 15-20K load the gasser is going really bog down while the 6.7 in the 5500 drives off with ease. When the gasser is used up and ready for the crusher the Cummins Diesel will still be going strong. The Cummins will cost you a whole lot less per mile to operate.

4 seasons lawn&land
10-12-2011, 06:58 PM
not really. I can replace the gas motor twice for the cost of a diesel. I tow 15 k with my 2500.n

Id rather have a diesel but not a ford one and 8 k is alot of $$$$ to me.

Marek
10-12-2011, 07:30 PM
The v 10 is a great motor. How many miles would you be putting on it a year ?

PlantscapeSolutions
10-12-2011, 07:57 PM
not really. I can replace the gas motor twice for the cost of a diesel. I tow 15 k with my 2500.n

Id rather have a diesel but not a ford one and 8 k is alot of $$$$ to me.

With a Diesel you must think long term investment and cost per mile. I'm from Maine originally but live in Texas now. Up north it seems everyone has shallower pockets and is short term minded. You see a lot of gasser HD's up north.

Down south in Texas it is Diesel central. Very few gassers and often is you see one it's a home owner not a contractor. Down here contractors often work the crap out of their truck pulling heavy loads that cause gassers to wear out quickly.

Diesel's have a flat torque curve which is what you want for towing. Max torque is made at about 1600 rpm's. Gassers often make max torque at at least 3000+ rpms and have a very peaked torque curve. When you hook up a trailer to a Diesel it actually helps spool up the turbo and the truck makes more power. Diesels love to be worked and are just built to a much higher standard (unless it's a Ford).

4 seasons lawn&land
10-12-2011, 08:05 PM
4-8k miles. I do lawn care too so there is no reason to use a med duty truck for that stuff. Keeping my 2500 and would also like a tandem eventually.

4 seasons lawn&land
10-12-2011, 08:09 PM
With a Diesel you must think long term investment and cost per mile. I'm from Maine originally but live in Texas now. Up north it seems everyone has shallower pockets and is short term minded. You see a lot of gasser HD's up north.

Down south in Texas it is Diesel central. Very few gassers and often is you see one it's a home owner not a contractor. Down here contractors often work the crap out of their truck pulling heavy loads that cause gassers to wear out quickly.

Diesel's have a flat torque curve which is what you want for towing. Max torque is made at about 1600 rpm's. Gassers often make max torque at at least 3000+ rpms and have a very peaked torque curve. When you hook up a trailer to a Diesel it actually helps spool up the turbo and the truck makes more power. Diesels love to be worked and are just built to a much higher standard (unless it's a Ford).

I know diesels are way better performing. 5 times better. Still dont think your saving anything with a diesel though. Maybe saving down time due to drivetrain replacement on the gasser. I bet cost over the life is darn close.

meador56
10-12-2011, 10:44 PM
Just sold my last diesel a Dodge 3500, good truck didn't drive it much because the GMC 3500 w/ a454 drives out better. I bought this truck new in 2000 paid about 20k for it and have put a clutch and brakes on it. Gets 10.5 empty and 7-8 loaded I use it mostly to pull 7X14 gooseneck dump with 6 ton dense grade will scale 24000 lbs. I also have 01 GMC crew cab 3500 w/ 8.1 gets 8 mpg will drag a house people think it's great looking truck bought last Jan. for $6500. use every day crew drives from shop and pulls job trailer. Last month we did 84000 in business on $600. on fuel now I have owned diesels and an all diesel equipment fleet and do 90% on repair and maintenence in house. Pumps, injectors and so on. I can't see the money in the diesel pickup. If I did I would buy them but its not there.

PlantscapeSolutions
10-12-2011, 11:29 PM
I know diesels are way better performing. 5 times better. Still dont think your saving anything with a diesel though. Maybe saving down time due to drivetrain replacement on the gasser. I bet cost over the life is darn close.

Talk to anyone who hauls for a living like a hot shotter and they will find even mentioning that a gasser is close to a Diesel in cost to operate is laughable. A loaded gasser is going to get around 8 mpg if you lucky with 10K in tow while many Diesels will still get 12 mpg. That's 50% better millage.

I drove my Ram 09' 3500 on a 400 mile trip back in August doing 65 mph. My truck is dually a 4x4 with Ranch Hand bumpers and a leveling kit that all hurt aerodynamics. I did not even use a full tank of fuel and got 17.65 mpg's.

The reason Dodge dropped the V-10, GM dropped the 496, and Ford dropped the V-10 is because anyone who could do the math realized the cost per mile to operate was insane. Horrible millage unloaded and it dropped as much as 50% loaded. The reliability of the big gassers was poor as well.

PlantscapeSolutions
10-13-2011, 12:16 AM
Just sold my last diesel a Dodge 3500, good truck didn't drive it much because the GMC 3500 w/ a454 drives out better. I bought this truck new in 2000 paid about 20k for it and have put a clutch and brakes on it. Gets 10.5 empty and 7-8 loaded I use it mostly to pull 7X14 gooseneck dump with 6 ton dense grade will scale 24000 lbs. I also have 01 GMC crew cab 3500 w/ 8.1 gets 8 mpg will drag a house people think it's great looking truck bought last Jan. for $6500. use every day crew drives from shop and pulls job trailer. Last month we did 84000 in business on $600. on fuel now I have owned diesels and an all diesel equipment fleet and do 90% on repair and maintenence in house. Pumps, injectors and so on. I can't see the money in the diesel pickup. If I did I would buy them but its not there.

I think I like my 12 mpg loaded and 17.65 unloaded better. Over the course of 200,000 miles I'm going to save at least $20,000 versus your 8.1. The 8.1 was a short lived engine for good reason. The 8.1 will save you money the day you drive it off the lot but from then on it's going to eat you azz alive in fuel costs.

I can't find the article with the exact facts but about 90% of Ram HD's come with oil burners, Ford is second at about 75%, and GM is a little further back. The numbers prove that most people realize spark plugs suck. If you interview the minority of buyers who purchased a gasser you will find the majority wanted a Diesel but could not afford it.

Don't even get started on the fact that the resale value of a gasser HD is crap.

BrandonV
10-13-2011, 06:53 AM
I have all diesels at the moment, our next truck will be a gas. $8000 for unreliable, over clocked, riced out diesels is too much for a light duty truck. Our med duty trucks will still have cummins in them but I'm done with it for the pickups. Fuel is too high, maintenance is too high and reliability is too low. Doesn't make sense anymore.

Marek
10-13-2011, 07:49 AM
Hotshotters are putting alot of miles on the trucks. We wear out trucks before engines. 4-8k a year is a no brainer buy the v 10. In a ford truck they are just as good as the 7.3. You will save the 8k up front ,the added intrest on the 8k and not have any of the problems related to the new emmision diesels.

PlantscapeSolutions
10-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Hotshotters are putting alot of miles on the trucks. We wear out trucks before engines. 4-8k a year is a no brainer buy the v 10. In a ford truck they are just as good as the 7.3. You will save the 8k up front ,the added intrest on the 8k and not have any of the problems related to the new emmision diesels.

At 4-8K a year that's only 15-30 miles a day based on a five day work week. That's an amazingly low amount of millage. To do all of your work on average only 11 miles from your shop is great. There must be an incredible amount of work close to your shop. With those kinds of numbers your only filling up your truck about every 2 1/2 weeks on average.

Most people are going to find those numbers pretty unrealistic. I think my numbers are pretty low and my 06' Ram 2500 has averaged 18K per year. If I hadn't let my foremen take the truck home for 2.5 years the average would probably be closer to 14K a year. My daily driver 09' Ram 3500 averages 22K.

My truck is deleted and has no emissions equipment or EGR. The emissions problems that did happen on the early DPF'd trucks have been resolved. The use of DEF on all new trucks instead of using only Diesel to burn off particulate matter has helped. Even on the early DPF'd trucks it was only a minority that had issues. But as always with any product you always hear the most from the small minority who either love it or hate it.

What year was the Dodge 3500 you had? The 5.9's prior to the CR's were kind of slow and hugely benefited from being tweaked. My 02' 2500 was slow but I was able to crank it up to over 500 hp and 1100 ft lbs of torque. The 03' up 3500's were all great peppy trucks plus they had no EGR until 2007 1/2.

Empty and especially loaded the modern day Diesels will out perform the V-8 gas engines available today in every shape, form, and way. Due to lack of interest, poor millage, and emissions all the V-10's and GM's big V-8 (8.1) are dead and gone. RIP

PlantscapeSolutions
10-13-2011, 01:54 PM
I have all diesels at the moment, our next truck will be a gas. $8000 for unreliable, over clocked, riced out diesels is too much for a light duty truck. Our med duty trucks will still have cummins in them but I'm done with it for the pickups. Fuel is too high, maintenance is too high and reliability is too low. Doesn't make sense anymore.

Did you have a Ford with a 6.0 or 6.4? I know Ford has traumatized a lot of it's die hard followers. I would dare to say 90% of the people who have horror stories to tell are Ford guys with turbo, head gasket, EGR, oil cooler, injector, or other issues. I was just talking to a guy the other day who said their truck has been down more then up. Like 40 trips to the shop. The most recent down time lasted 60 days. Their truck has spent more time in the air then on the ground.

You will rarely hear horror stories from the Cummins & DuraIsuzu owners. My Cummins powered Rams from 02', 06', and 09' have all been great. There are more BTU's in a gallon of Diesel then gas so you really can't compare the two. Once you factor in your going to get 30-40 percent more mpgs out of the gallon of Diesel it is actually saving you money. Gas here is 3.07 and Diesel is 3.54. Diesel would have to be about 4.31 a gallon for a gasser to be on equal footing.

Marek
10-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Your trucks are 3/4 ton trucks , when you go to a 450-550 or 4500 - 5500 truck you would not see anywhere near those milage numbers. Dodge ford nor chevy . He is looking at a 550 4x4 truck with a 19k GVW The Dodge 5500 has a nice looking frame and brake set up but they force you to a higher rear when you go to the 5500 over the 4500. When most of your work is close to your shop you would most likely not see any highway driving which will also lower your MPG. Our stake bodies are used for muching , tree work or anything that we need the bed and use pick ups for the grounds trailers. These larger trucks are to expensive to use to just tow 6k. Lower mpg and expensive tires. Our 450-550s average 8-10k per year . Seems like the magic number is 15k or more per year to justify the diesel now days.

PlantscapeSolutions
10-13-2011, 04:28 PM
The 4500 & 5500 is definitely geared towards people who need to pull 20K-30K+ up and down any size hill they come across with ease. I'm assuming the 4500 & 5500 have some thing close to 4.88 gears because they are intended to be insane pulling machines.

Unless your pulling a loaded down tandem dually gooseneck all the time there not much need for going above a 3500. A 3500 with 4.10's is a pretty stout truck. I have 3.73's in my 3500.

I can see where if your barely using your truck and don't tow heavy a gasser can be tempting. Especially if you don't need to tow heavy where the torque of the Diesel is a must. I work in hilly west Austin in places where I need every bit of the 780 ft lbs of torque my truck makes on the 65 HP Smarty setting.

My 02' 2500 made about 500 RWHP 1100+ ft lbs of torque. Once you get used to that turbo screaming, and water/methanol pumping in a modified Diesel your hooked on oil burners. Once your spoiled on oil burner torque it's pretty hard to go back to a lesser truck with spark plugs. Especially if it's your daily driver.

4 seasons lawn&land
10-13-2011, 06:55 PM
we get it. you like diesels. As I already mentioned, several of my days every week are spent on lawn care with a 2500 truck. The 550 is for towing my mini, skid and a load in the bed at the same time. And Im also getting a real cdl dump truck. Hence the 4-8k miles a year. Id rather have a diesel but what options do I have when I refuse to spend 40k on a truck? 7.3 Powerstrokes are getting old now. Dodge 5500 came out in 08 and are very expensive and evidently, when the Kodiaks discontinued, the values went crazy. No diesels unless I go with a 1 ton.

4 seasons lawn&land
10-13-2011, 09:01 PM
that shoud have read, towing my mini OR skid with a load in the bed at the same time.

5speedpsd
10-13-2011, 09:35 PM
Ive driven a V10 F550 a few times for a friend of mine who does tree work and I enjoy the truck. Most of the time I've driven it there is a full load of chips in the truck which i think holds about 15 yards and towing his chipper which is about 8000lbs and the truck may not win any races but it will tow whatever you put behind it. Hes never had a problem with the truck in the 80,000 miles hes had it and it tows every mile it is on the road and he isn't known for being to easy on his trucks in general, and he will never buy a diesel again. I have a 7.3 in my 450 utility now and it will most likely be my last diesel in a truck if I get another ford when it is time for replacement. I would have gotten rid of it already if I didn't usually put about 100 miles a day on the truck. At this point its paid for and I haven't had any serious problems with it so I'm going to run it till it rots off the frame or I have a serious issue with the truck in general. If your not doing a ton of miles get a lightly used V10 truck and take care of it and the motor will outlast the rest of the truck. Now adays the motor may last but nothing else on the truck will so why spend the money on a motor that will last forever, can't do much with just a motor. Really for the amount of miles your talking I would just get a F350 with a V10 in general this will be a better truck maitnance wise and if your talking about getting a tandom why spend the extra money on a truck that really won't get used much to start with, and will probably get used less once you buy a tandam. I did alot of work with just a old F350 and never had a problem, wish I could get away with one still, only reason I upgraded was because I wanted to make sure I was legal all the time since I do alot of driving on the highway loaded down. For the amount of miles your talking about don't waste money on a diesel, personally I don't think for anyone their worth the money in a light or medium duty truck.

4 seasons lawn&land
10-13-2011, 10:15 PM
I agree. I would really like to be able to tow my mini plus a load and with a 350 its overloaded with just the mini legaly. I do tow my mini now with a 2500 and am way over. Looking to stop doing that.

willretire@40
12-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Talk to anyone who hauls for a living like a hot shotter and they will find even mentioning that a gasser is close to a Diesel in cost to operate is laughable. A loaded gasser is going to get around 8 mpg if you lucky with 10K in tow while many Diesels will still get 12 mpg. That's 50% better millage.

I drove my Ram 09' 3500 on a 400 mile trip back in August doing 65 mph. My truck is dually a 4x4 with Ranch Hand bumpers and a leveling kit that all hurt aerodynamics. I did not even use a full tank of fuel and got 17.65 mpg's.

The reason Dodge dropped the V-10, GM dropped the 496, and Ford dropped the V-10 is because anyone who could do the math realized the cost per mile to operate was insane. Horrible millage unloaded and it dropped as much as 50% loaded. The reliability of the big gassers was poor as well.

Ford is putting the v-10 in f650 now.

NEUSWEDE
12-26-2011, 10:11 PM
And Im also getting a real cdl dump truck.

Why buy an f550 then? You not using it for lawn care and the cdl you will want to use with the mini and skid.

that shoud have read, towing my mini OR skid with a load in the bed at the same time.

Not a shot in the world you will haul much of a load with you 161 on there and defintely won't be legal.

Skip the f550 and go with a tandem dump or larger single axel

Also I wouldn't want a V10, I have a diesel in my 550 and have drove a v10 and there is only a 3k difference in purchase price

hosejockey2002
12-27-2011, 05:54 PM
The reliability of the big gassers was poor as well.

There are many advantages of diesels, but after about 2008 reliability is certainly not one of them. You could not give me a newer diesel of any brand. Sure, you can delete the emission junk and add a chip, but you should not have to mess with a brand new truck to make it run reliably. The diesel trucks on the market right now will cost a fortune to keep running unless you illegally remove all the problematic emission equipment. If you want to hot-rod a truck, have great towing performance and constantly tweak and fiddle with it then a diesel is the way to go. Maybe someday diesels will regain the advantages they once had. For now, I prefer just turning the key and driving away, even at the expense of lower mileage and less performance.

stuvecorp
12-27-2011, 07:45 PM
I agree. I would really like to be able to tow my mini plus a load and with a 350 its overloaded with just the mini legaly. I do tow my mini now with a 2500 and am way over. Looking to stop doing that.

I would look at an International Lo Pro(26,000 gvw) with a DT466 and skip the 550.

4 seasons lawn&land
12-29-2011, 06:21 PM
Why buy an f550 then? You not using it for lawn care and the cdl you will want to use with the mini and skid.

Not a shot in the world you will haul much of a load with you 161 on there and defintely won't be legal.

Skip the f550 and go with a tandem dump or larger single axel

Also I wouldn't want a V10, I have a diesel in my 550 and have drove a v10 and there is only a 3k difference in purchase price

I want both because I need a 1 ton sized truck. You cant use just a big truck for everything. If I want to haul just the mini I would end up just using the little 2500 if all I had otherwise was a 33-53k GVW. That goes for everything else that falls between a pick-up and a real CDL sized dump. Pretty big gap there. I dont think the diesel price diff is only 3k but if you were right that would be a better choice. I think its like 8k...

NEUSWEDE
12-29-2011, 06:43 PM
I want both because I need a 1 ton sized truck. You cant use just a big truck for everything. If I want to haul just the mini I would end up just using the little 2500 if all I had otherwise was a 33-53k GVW. That goes for everything else that falls between a pick-up and a real CDL sized dump. Pretty big gap there. I dont think the diesel price diff is only 3k but if you were right that would be a better choice. I think its like 8k...

I think if you went with a low CDL truck like a 33gvw with a 10' high side dump you would be better off than a tandem and a f550. I have a f550 and it is great but now that I have the f650 I pretty much favor that because of the truck size and what it can haul and there is on 7k difference in GVW

Diesel from base is an 8k option and a v10 is a 5k option so between the two is only 3k. I personally paid the 3k extra and I am happy. If you constantly hauling and pulling equipment the diesel is your best choice. The new motors do have a lot of restrictions on them but machinery is going the same way with the tier engines. But the diesel will out perform but that is just my opinion.

Good Luck be sure to share when you buy.

4 seasons lawn&land
12-29-2011, 07:03 PM
The tandem would only work if it was a 12 ft and lighter duty (around 50k lb) and really cheap. Otherwise the ideal combo is the same as yours. 550-750ish. Your average jobs are probably bigger than mine. Id like to get over lawns and fields with 4wd for planting and top soil and stonework. Plus I need a backup for my 2500 for mowing and plowing.

meador56
01-02-2012, 09:26 PM
The local co-op and Warren Rural Electric Co have lost 5 6.7 Pstrkes between them all in 450-550 trucks at about 15-18k miles. It seems as though the injectors or glow plugs are breaking and trashing the cylinder. I was told that our Ford dealer had 2 more up there recently. In late October we landed a job near Hodgenville Ky {Lincoln's birthplace} a 240 mile a day drive. My 01 GMC 2500hd had 170k on it and I had been looking for an 05-10 used and down here they are hard to find. I called around and found an 11 2500hd x-cab. It is a LT 1 4X4 6.0 with tow package and power seat, stickered for $39,105 I got 6 for the 01 and traded for 30k not good or bad. This new truck now has 8100 miles on it. I trailer constantly and have checked every tank of gas, it has gotten from 7.6 {loaded with 6635 Gehl and 2pallets of pavers in a hurry} to 14.73 no load no hurry. Day in day out it's doing 10-11.5. It's rare that I burn a tank without towing a 18+2 bumper hitch with 7k axles and beening a hardscape contractor it's often heavy as both skid and 331 Bobcat mini weigh just over 8k each, this and pavers, stone, or a MT-55 to boot. I have no complants with mpg or power. I spent little on the old one and expect that will be the case this time. Also I think with our experience with 3/4's and tons I will lean toward diesel lo-pros for anything heavier.