PDA

View Full Version : What Gets Under Your Skin?

SouthSide Cutter
10-10-2011, 10:05 PM
What gets under your skin the most in this line of work?

For me today it started with the way the sprinkler heads were installed. About 3" above what they should be. The mower will just cut them all off.
And what gets me the most is the guys That spray and fertilize. Today I stop at one of my banks always a Monday-Saturday-Wednesday-Monday rotation. Well they are spraying and dont want me to cut. I tell them I will hold off but dont do it again on any of these days.
And last its the way the landscapers shape areas. In my yard I have what I call a V ditch next to the highway. You can cut it with any size mower. I have some the only way it looks right is with a 21". They made it a U type ditch. Then they leave rocks in the fill, and dont put enough dirt in the islands.
I am pretty sure they get paid well, just dont know why they dont care a little more. And some are not like this their jobs are perfect.

Ridin' Green
10-10-2011, 10:15 PM
I hate it when the black plastic landscape edging is installed in all sorts of tight weird curves that can only be traced with a trimmer, or maybe a 21" WB. Another one is when they plant trees way too close together. You can't get your machine in between them, and after they have a few years on them, they start to grow into each others branches which only helps to kill them off anyway.

Darryl G
10-10-2011, 10:15 PM
If that's the worst you can come up with you're doing pretty good, lol.

Ridin' Green
10-10-2011, 10:20 PM

I don't know if you meant me or him, but I could type for several hours and not cover everything!:laugh:

Tyler7692
10-10-2011, 10:23 PM

I agree completely. In any line of work there will be things that are a pain in the a$$. Your list is a joke compared to many things I've ran into.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
10-10-2011, 10:26 PM
Biggest pet peeve is that every customer is smarter than you are no matter how much you attempt to educate them they are smarter than you. We joke around all the time about our profession being a step above the town drunk. Good luck and don't let the small things drive you crazy.
Posted via Mobile Device

JB1
10-10-2011, 10:28 PM
what really gets under my skin is them damm splinters, they hurt.

billythekid
10-10-2011, 10:48 PM
when stanley steamer shows up and runs all their hoses in the grass....

weeze
10-10-2011, 10:53 PM
i hate yards with 1000 statues,plants, and trees in them...i pass on them every time...people don't think about cutting the grass...they put decorations, landscaping, etc. all around the house and in the yard without thinking about how difficult it's gonna make it to cut the grass.

nightshutter
10-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Im sure there are more things to complain about but this is in my mind from today. Yards with dog poop everywhere! I talking all over. Good paying account so I put up with the smell for 30 min.

93Chevy
10-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Low hanging shrubs

Low hanging trees

Thick shrubs with hornets inside

Low trees with hornets nests inside

Extremely wet ground

StihlMechanic
10-10-2011, 11:18 PM
I hate when you come back to a lawn an there is a new obstacle like tiki torches or other semi portable crap. I dropped a lawn that had something new appear every week.

mowerman90
10-10-2011, 11:27 PM
People that are too lazy to wind up their hoses from watering the garden. Yes, I have mulched a few in my day.....

Ridin' Green
10-10-2011, 11:57 PM
Im sure there are more things to complain about but this is in my mind from today. Yards with dog poop everywhere! I talking all over. Good paying account so I put up with the smell for 30 min.

Yep- this one is one of the worst IMO

A+Grounds
10-11-2011, 12:01 AM
Customers that are hard to deal with

mnglocker
10-11-2011, 12:30 AM
My girlfriend.

Birdhunter1
10-11-2011, 12:47 AM
Edging a curb along a street, traffic never pays attention no matter if you ar ewearing black at night or safety hi-vis green in the daytime.

Driving in 3 lane traffic in town with a trailer, mainly because I swear people think you can stop on a dime and Heaven forbid they let you change lanes. A trailer behind a truck or utility bed on a truck and forget it... these folks won't let you in for nothing.

Being a farmer myself I am safety conscious, I wish every one else on the roads with a tractor was too. Safety SMV triangles aside I wish other would pay attention to flashing lights on their tractor or equipment and keep them working. That is one of my top pet peeves.

But I think the top one is other who don't strap stuff down on a trailer or truck. That one really just irks my chains. My first job was in a lumberyard, the owner was an old NAVY guy and took me aside sometime in the first week and said there is no reason anything should ever fly off of one of these trucks, loose a 2x4 loose your job, simple as that. Even took the time to show me how the tie systems worked on the trucks and how to properly tie down a load, even how to throw the straps over with professionalism (if that makes any sense). The guy had a reputation as a hard *** but I never had an issue with him. I listened to what he said, feared him, and never let him catch me idle. In fact I was playing football at the time and he had me move 80 lbs. bags of Quickrete around the lumberyard and I was strongly encouraged to have at least one on my shoulder if walking from one end of the yard to the other. Tough Old bird or not having him as a past job reference when you enter into the construction business a few years later in life was a good thing.

beano
10-11-2011, 01:08 AM
I hate when customers always decide to come outside and work in the yard when Im there. Never fails they will be inside all day until I get there then they feel the urge to do some yard work.....just one more thing I have to pay attention not to discharge crap from the mower towards. Plus maybe its just me but I always feel like they paymore attention to my work and are more picky

corey4671
10-11-2011, 03:09 AM
People that are too lazy to wind up their hoses from watering the garden. Yes, I have mulched a few in my day.....

Got one of those.same hose every week! A few weeks back, I rolled the hose up while I was trimming. By the time I came back around with the mower, lady has pulled it back out in the yard! I intentionally mowed up one side of the hose and back down the other
Posted via Mobile Device

Glenn Lawn Care
10-11-2011, 11:50 AM
1) not getting paid on time.

2) Picking up after my customers each and every week when they know when I will be there and they are usually home when I cut their grass.

3) over watered lawns.

4) dog crap!

weeze
10-11-2011, 11:59 AM

that is a big one...it's so dumb...even when they know you are coming to cut the grass they leave it out in the yard...i'll never get that one.

93Chevy
10-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Employees who don't listen even when you draw everything out in crayon and hold their hand.

2stroked
10-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Yards that are more dirt than grass. The dust gets everywhere in your nose in your eyes and it makes you sneeze like crazy. I also hate the people that leave dog crap in their yard. I hit some with the trimmer the other day, and it went all over me.

THIESSENS TLC
10-11-2011, 07:55 PM
hasnt happened in three years until this week...lady knows i come on mondays...gate is locked, and nobody is home. Now today i go back (tuesday) gate is still locked....wtf? waste of time and money straight out the tailpipe!

2stroked
10-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Oh, and I forgot to mention the same guy always leaves his dog in the back yard when I mow. I had to block the dog door with a sheet of plywood so it wouldn't come out.