PDA

View Full Version : What is this worth?

dutchacres
10-10-2011, 11:29 PM
Ok so I'm looking at trading my Nissan off on a dump truck. I have found a 1999 Dodge 3500 SLT regular cab 4x4 auto V10 has 53,000 miles on it. The truck is in near perfect condition and doesn't look like it has hardly been used. They are asking 14,900 for it and I did some research and found my Titan worth between 16-18,000 trade in value. I'm thinking of offering that they cut me a check of 4,000 plus the trade. This would be nice as I could buy the truck, have it lettered and buy a vac for my MOD.

nightshutter
10-10-2011, 11:36 PM
My advice, get a dually, get a manual, get a diesel. just my .02

dutchacres
10-10-2011, 11:42 PM
Maybe I should give a little more info on my uses. This truck will mainly be used for mulch and shrub clippings. I dont do much landscape installs so I wont hardly ever haul dirt or rock. My service area is about a 30 mile radius so I dont put a ton of miles on anything so mpg isnt that important as I know this truck will probably be like my old 3500HD Chevy dump with the 454 I had which got about 6-7 mpg empty or loaded heavy. Truck is a dually and looks to be built very well.

nightshutter
10-10-2011, 11:47 PM
Maybe I should give a little more info on my uses. This truck will mainly be used for mulch and shrub clippings. I dont do much landscape installs so I wont hardly ever haul dirt or rock. My service area is about a 30 mile radius so I dont put a ton of miles on anything so mpg isnt that important as I know this truck will probably be like my old 3500HD Chevy dump with the 454 I had which got about 6-7 mpg empty or loaded heavy. Truck is a dually and looks to be built very well.

IMO from experience get the things I stated before. You wont regret it. Especially the manual tranny

mnglocker
10-11-2011, 12:23 AM
Unless you're planning on plowing, get the 6 speed and the Cummins. The Diesel will sip fuel and pull like an SOB all day. The 6 speed lets you keep on your torque rise all day long and it's a hell of allot more reliable out of the box for someone who probably isn't into modifying the auto transmission.

dutchacres
10-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Truck will be used for plowing so a manual won't work for me. From the research I have done on the V10 engine is that guys absolutely love them and say they are very reliable. I know not as bullet proof as a Cummins but if all goes according to plan I will be buying a newer dump in the next couple of years and just use this one for my garden center that I am going to open this spring.
Posted via Mobile Device

nightshutter
10-11-2011, 09:46 AM
If you want to do more research on that truck you can check out cummins forum. Talk to guys that drive that particular truck

Aaronnc
10-11-2011, 04:28 PM
I've had a two buddies with the Dodge V-10's before and yeah, like you said, they've pretty much told me they were bulletproof and they liked them with the exception of the mpg. They bothed whined big time over that. Actually, they both sold them because of that, they said. Somewhere around 8-10 mpg is what they quoted me.

What kind of plowing are you doing? I don't think I've ever seen a dump truck plow driveways and small spaces when I was up north. I saw them in mall parking lots and roads, but never in residentials.

Why not try and get two trucks? I would search around the military vehicle listings or auctions and try to find me a older dedicated plow truck. Something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1985-CHEVROLET-M1028-CUCV-CARGO-TRUCK-4X4-LOW-MILES-RUNS-GREAT-6-2-DIESEL-/320772263241?pt=Military_Vehicles&hash=item4aaf844d49 and then search around for something like this to finish it off: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-GMC-C7500-AUTO-CHIPPER-DUMP-TRUCK-LOW-MILES-75-607-A-C-?cmd=ViewItem&item=110752012034#v4-35

I think the Dodge sounds overpriced to be 13 years old with a V-10. Remember most people want the Cummins diesel so if you try and trade it in or sell it, you'll take a bath and end up giving it away. On the Manheim Auction, the Dodge 3500's V-10's around your mileage and year are bringing 8-10k tops regardless of what the book says. Remember the book is nothing but a guide, that's all. Call up a bank and see what they'll loan on that truck to get a better representation of what it's worth.

Here's a '01 3500 dually 2WD diesel with 42k miles and asking price is 11. Which means add 2k for 4WD and 2k for the dump and it brings it to 15k for a comparable truck that is two years newer than yours with a diesel. http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=2614819&

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if I could get your Dodge for 9-10k and a decent trade-in then I'd be a player, me personally. But 14,900 for that truck is just way overpriced IMO.

Good luck!

dutchacres
10-11-2011, 09:32 PM
I don't do any residential plowing and if I do happen to do a driveway I just use my snow blower unless it is long enough and I can use a truck. The only way I would even consider this truck is if I get the numbers where I want them. I love my Titan and don't have a huge need for a dump truck at this time anyway. The only reason it is being considered is that it is in suck good shape and equipped the way I would want one. It is not a stripped down work truck as this has power windows, locks, cd, the nice cloth seats and tilt and cruise but has the rubber floor which I love for a work truck. I'm going to check it out Thursday and see if he would possibly let me rent it for a landscape install job I have next week. With it being older I want to make sure everything works like it should plus I'm going to have my mechanic put it up on the lift and check everything out real close to make sure it is all tight. Was your friends V10's dump trucks?
Posted via Mobile Device

Aaronnc
10-11-2011, 11:02 PM
No, neither one was a dump. One was a stake bed that he used to haul around flooring and equipment, and the other was just a standard extended cab, that he used for a 5th wheel goose neck. He used to haul around a skid with. The stake bed was 2wd but the other was 4wd.