PDA

View Full Version : Which Direction Do You Mow?

Turf Tracer
10-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Most Often?

I would say I do
^
^
^

most

then (cause im right handed)
/
/
/

then

\
\
\

then
>>>>>

yea it depends on the lawn and i switch it up but def the first 2 get hit the most.

JDiepstra
10-11-2011, 12:10 PM
The 2 fastest. Sometimes 3

Robert Pruitt
10-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Most Often?

I would say I do
^
^
^

most

then (cause im right handed)
/
/
/

then

\
\
\

then
>>>>>

yea it depends on the lawn and i switch it up but def the first 2 get hit the most.

Why are you in this business?

BestImpressions99
10-11-2011, 12:57 PM
He's just wondering about mowing direction. Most of the time I try to switch it up mowing differently each time then starting at back and forth laterally every 5th time.

StihlMechanic
10-11-2011, 01:02 PM
forward is my direction

Agape
10-11-2011, 01:02 PM
sometimes I do
#
#
#
#
then I'll...
%
%
%
%
but only if it makes me
$
$
$
$
:laugh::laugh::hammerhead:

Patriot Services
10-11-2011, 01:07 PM
@@@@@@@@@ is the most fun.
Posted via Mobile Device

fourbybud
10-11-2011, 01:36 PM
North South streets I mow East to West.
East West streets I mow North to South.
But that all depends on which side of the nearest parallel I am on and if it is and odd or even day.

johnsonslawnmanagement
10-11-2011, 01:37 PM
I'm with agape.
Alternating patterns is a necessary practice to prevent compaction. We alternate patterns everytime
Posted via Mobile Device

Agape
10-11-2011, 01:46 PM
some lawns are impossible to use different patterns on. by the time you've gone 2x around, theyre pretty much done. but I try to change directions.

If I'm using my 21"'s I'll go counter clockwise first so the overgrown branches don't turn my mower down/off.

JB1
10-11-2011, 03:30 PM
forward is my direction

me too, backwords hurt my neck.

vencops
10-11-2011, 04:17 PM
I mostly mow horizontally.

weeze
10-11-2011, 04:34 PM
i mow this way and that way and sometimes the other way.

RussellB
10-11-2011, 04:37 PM
If I had my way, I'd just let someone else mow.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
10-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Right side up. I've found it works better that way.

Glenn Lawn Care
10-11-2011, 05:59 PM
North and south and east to west. northeast to southwest and southeast to northwest.

tyler_mott85
10-11-2011, 06:45 PM
I pick the three fastest directions to mow and just make the change every week. All my yards I mow the same every week so it's easy to remember which direction I'm on.

And I mow by the idea that if you're unable to have more than one pattern at minimum, the mower you're using is too big for the section of lawn you're on and you need to get a smaller mower. :dancing:

flatlander42
10-11-2011, 09:16 PM
I will mow way more than the normal 4 directions. I will sometimes just pick a line that lines up with the front door, or the driveway entrance. That way when they look outside or pull in the lawn after work they get that look straight down the lines.

I won't go back to the same lines for at least 8+ weeks. Going slightly a different angle each week going perpendicular to the week previous.

But, that's just me I'm sure.

Turf Tracer
10-11-2011, 09:16 PM
yea, we got about 100 subdivision lots that look like this (actually a bit narrower)

I do 1 week blue then 1 red then mabe 2-3 times a season throw in a light blue or yellow.

Last company that did em mowed in circles but he was using belt drive Walks

93Chevy
10-11-2011, 09:23 PM
I rotate the two most noticeable/visible/attractive directions.

If I notice compaction issues then I'll add a third direction. But most places don't look good with 3 directions.

cuttin-to-the-Max
10-11-2011, 09:29 PM
We change it up ALMOST every week but i find when we are behind i usually go the fastest way which is usually =====

I know in most of my lawns i can see about 5 different patterns. Depending on where i am/ the sun is....

There are a couple companies around here that go THE SAME WAY EVERY WEEK

I dont know how they get away with it to be honest with you.... Yes i will say their stripes look good... But the WHOLE lawn is rutted. And the stripes look like they are painted on.

I hate it because when i get the lawn for a cleanup or something i have no choice but to go the same way otherwise my @$$ hurts from jumping the "hills!"

A+Grounds
10-11-2011, 09:33 PM
diagonal both ways.
front to back side to side.
alternate between the two each week

dutchacres
10-11-2011, 09:52 PM
I mow and make sure my checkerboard shows up for people driving by so they notice my sick lines. I usually mow one way one week then go the other way the next week then just bounce back and forth between those two lines. About half way through the season I switch it up and make two different lines. According to all my ag classes most of your compaction comes from the first time and it is little to no additional compaction after that. I do notice guys that mow the same way every week how there tire lines look a foot deep! I been mowing this way 13 years and cant tell any compaction or ruts from mowing the same line multiple times.
Posted via Mobile Device

LHS Lawns
10-12-2011, 08:38 AM
I use two directions ^ and \ if the yard is big enough for my Kubota
ZD-28 60". If its just a straight line I'll split the wheel tracks every other cut on good grass.

I never got into cutting the ^ > combo for fear of leaving a depression if the ground was wet. The angled cut \ is easier to ride over when you're cutting ^.

I have a small pushmower yard that I cut three ways ^ \ /. Its good grass and it looks good.

Darryl G
10-12-2011, 11:17 AM
I just mow clockwise round in a circle cuz thats dats wut da manul for my Yardmachines twactor said ta do.

But really, depends on the lawn. I find that on most lawns there's one direction that I rarely if ever mow. I like to mow so that the stripe is visible from the street or driveway as you pull in and usually there's one direction that the lawn is not viewed from. It's usually either the / or \ that doesn't see much use. Besides that, due to slopes or the lawn area being long and narrow, there's sometimes one direction that I don't use.

So, to make a long story short, it depends.

Pressedun
10-12-2011, 03:47 PM
I rotate the two most noticeable/visible/attractive directions.

If I notice compaction issues then I'll add a third direction. But most places don't look good with 3 directions.

Precisely what I do.