PDA

View Full Version : Overseeders

BFuller
10-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Hi Guys,

I' was wondering if any of you use the types of overseeders with the seed hopper situated over the times/cutters. They claim to de-thatch and seed in one pass. I'm assuming you'd want to do a cross-hatch pattern to get even seed germination.

Anyway, I'm wondering more about the seeding aspect of a machine like the Lawn Solution "Turf Revitalizer." Does the seed get into the slits made by the cutters or does a lot of it end up on the surface soil to be eaten by birds, etc.? I'm more familiar with slightly larger overseeders like the Ryan Mataway and Jacobsen units that actually inject the seed directly into the slits through vertical tube that run from the seed hopper mounted above.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Most of the townhouse complexes we maintain have separated yards with pretty narrow gates and I'd like something that can get to those areas.

Thanks for the time. I look forward to your feedback.

Barry
www.terraeffects.ca

RigglePLC
10-11-2011, 12:24 PM
I don't know.
Wouldn't it be nice to see some side by side comparisons at the next summer turf show.
"And this plot on the left was seeded with a Lawn Solutions, and this area on the right with a Bluebird, and in the background with a Claussen. Notice the Ryan Mataway, and the Jacobson plots. Also the Garden Weasel preparation. After 30 days, as you can plainly see..."

Maybe they are afraid of the competition.

I am thinking that there is a way to kill the old grass after 4 weeks so you can see how much new grass took hold. This requires some creative thinking.

corey4671
10-11-2011, 02:07 PM
I rented the Lawn Solutions and I now own a Turfco. My experience with both machines is that the seed box is actually out front and drops the seed on the ground. The blades then come in behind that and work the seed into the soil. I've had great results with both. At the time I didn't think I could justify the cost of the LS however in this my second year in offering slit seeding, I really wish I had made the investment. Don't get me wrong, the Turfco is a great little unit but it will kill you on properties much larger than about 7k sq ft.