PDA

View Full Version : Help in new mower purchase

cut level
10-11-2011, 04:21 PM
For starters i am full time, insured, tax paying, legit business before someone re-directs the thread that way.

I am in the market for a new mower. This mower will be for nicer homes and properties. Front yard mower with the ability to also keep up on a bigger property say like a 3 acre church. I have a walker but it has 3400 hours on it and i really don't want to go back with it because i don't have to have the means of collection and if I have to collect i can pull it out. So saying all that Walker is not an option. Pretty sure i want it to be floating deck and i think 60 inch deck is just to big for neighborhood homes
Posted via Mobile Device

32vld
10-11-2011, 04:33 PM
How many customers have fences?

Of those how many have what size gate?

I would move up to 54" or 60" because I can still use them on my smallest yard, 7,126 sf lot. Also because time is money. And I won't want to waste time doing a 3 acre church with anything smaller.

Most people when putting in fences are now going with 5' gates. Now to allow clearance for the 5" gate I assume the opening is about 1" wider so a 60" would fit through the gate. Someone may be able to answer that later on.

cut level
10-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Fences are not a problem. Also in regard to the church it will only be working the areas right up close to the church and drives to give the really manicured look. I guess i should have said that in my post. My zd326 60 inch takes care of the bigger wide open properties.
Posted via Mobile Device

SDLandscapes VT
10-11-2011, 08:27 PM
can it be a walkbehind....if so I recommend Exmark Turf Tracer

Jimslawncareservice
10-11-2011, 09:47 PM
How about a z beast? Encore? Big dog? They all are suppose to be cheap. It will help your over head
Posted via Mobile Device

Jimslawncareservice
10-11-2011, 09:49 PM
can it be a walkbehind....if so I recommend Exmark Turf Tracer

Why walk behind? Why not a stander and be done with it? If he mounts a sulky hell be standing anyway. A stander is more comfortable than any old sulky
Posted via Mobile Device

LBA1999
10-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Get a 60 Z turn and get a diesel. You will be surprised how many places you can fit into once you get the hang of a 60 Z turn. Diesel is the only way to go. It doesn't weigh as much more as people complain. ZD 326 weighs 1700 lbs (taken from Kubota's website) and for comparison John Deere Z930A 29 HP Kawi 60 inch deck weighs 1408 lb. (taken from John Deere website). what is 300 lb when you gain lots of power, fuel economy, and longevity. Kubota is what I run and it is bullet proof. Buy the machine that feels the best from the dealer with the best support though.

cut level
10-11-2011, 11:44 PM
Want ztr, want float deck. Would like to have ztr, just thinking a stander would not be comfortable after a while. so I am not throwin a scag v ride out the door but just how comfortable is it after 4 hours of mowing
I amm currently running the Walker and my ZD 326. Want to get away from the Walker as it is getting unreliable but I want to achieve excellent finish cut. A half acre lawn with a 5,000 sq ft home on it has no business with a zd326 which weighs 1700 in it, especially in the front yards Throw in u or v shape ditches with no curb and there's only so many ways the zd can move around and it's just too much for those too and will end up rutting and that is unacceptable

Sorry I mentioned 60 inch deck in my op but didn't say what type it is.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
10-11-2011, 11:52 PM
What about something like a Deere Z710/48", or since you are already running the Kubby, a ZG222 48", or ZD221/48"?

SDLandscapes VT
10-11-2011, 11:54 PM
The exmark vantage has a very comfortable ride--frankly I dont think a Z or a stander can deliver the cut of a walker style machine. walkbehind maybe

Jimslawncareservice
10-11-2011, 11:58 PM
The v rides ride sucks imo. I would go with exmark toro or wright. Deere would be a good choice too. All more comfortable than that orange beast. I like scags, but the controls on that vride are so dang stiff. Then that cushion that takes 10 mins to move. If you do mostly residential you will be more productive with a stander. You can jump on and off the mower with out shutting it down and getting off. They are way lighter than a ztr. After having the standers and going back to a ztr was not a smart choice for me. I will end up getting another stander soon, probably for spring. Other wise look at some of the lighter ztrs for residential work. Now I am not saying the light duty ones ay lowes, but pioneer exmark, smaller gravelys just to name a couple. Who wants a ton running over their lawn. Plus you will cus your self from ruts and worn spots
Posted via Mobile Device

cut level
10-12-2011, 12:14 AM
Not sure if Kubota has floating deck I have just started the looking process. I will say this my zd is the best mower i have ever ran, very dependable!

Scag v ride cut quality anyone or which walk behind?
Posted via Mobile Device

Snyder's Lawn Inc
10-12-2011, 12:22 AM
Trimstar Hustler WB has a floating deck and can adjust the deck on the move unlike lot WB you have stop and pull pins to change the height
I demo WB and never owned one If I do buy one be a TrimStar

Ridin' Green
10-12-2011, 12:24 AM
Not sure if Kubota has floating deck I have just started the looking process. I will say this my zd is the best mower i have ever ran, very dependable!

Scag v ride cut quality anyone or which walk behind?
Posted via Mobile Device

Maybe I'm not clear on what you mean by floating deck here. The Kubby's, and Deere that I mentioned all have what I call a floating deck. If the decks didn't float, then the gauge wheels would be useless.

What exactly do you mean? None of the ZTR's that I know of have one (deck) that floats the same way that Walkers do (by riding their gauge wheels like a Walker).

Lawnut101
10-12-2011, 12:58 AM
The exmark vantage has a very comfortable ride--frankly I dont think a Z or a stander can deliver the cut of a walker style machine. walkbehind maybe

I agree. This is a good option. I have a 52" 24HP and it has been solid through 345hrs. I wish they had a 60" option though.

SDLandscapes VT
10-12-2011, 07:14 AM
cut level....we just worked through this same quandary. I have a walker, I have a Z, I had some walkbehinds. We just traded in one walkbehind on two new ones and now we are very happy. our times with two walkbehinds compared to a walkbehind and a walker or a walkbehind and a Z are better across the board--significantly. We had a bobcat fixed deck and traded that in on two Exmark turf tracers (floating decks). I demoed the Hustler trimstar and nice machine, well put together, but cut quality just isn t there. I ve also demoed the vantage and I loved it, but not really for residential. Because you ride so high you are in the branches of all the ornamental trees etc and therefore you couldnt mow close and the trimming increased. I will say that if I mowed commercial I would have one because there is no machine easier to get off of to pick trash etc. If you are truly interested in cut quality and not compacting the crap out of your nice lawns really your choices are a walker style or walkbehind. Z's these days have ridiculous weights for mediocre performance.

cut level
10-12-2011, 07:43 AM
Thank you Snyder and SD Landscapes that's exactly what info I was looking for. Thank you very much. Will let you know how it turns out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jimslawncareservice
10-12-2011, 09:03 AM
So basically you wanted to hear people tell you to buy s walk behind
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
10-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Want ztr, want float deck. Would like to have ztr, just thinking a stander would not be comfortable after a while. so I am not throwin a scag v ride out the door but just how comfortable is it after 4 hours of mowing
I amm currently running the Walker and my ZD 326. Want to get away from the Walker as it is getting unreliable but I want to achieve excellent finish cut. A half acre lawn with a 5,000 sq ft home on it has no business with a zd326 which weighs 1700 in it, especially in the front yards Throw in u or v shape ditches with no curb and there's only so many ways the zd can move around and it's just too much for those too and will end up rutting and that is unacceptable

Posted via Mobile Device

You say you want a ZTR here in your post, but now you want the WB?:confused::confused:

cut level
10-12-2011, 08:10 PM
No I never once said in this thread which mower I decided on. I am listening to Any positive comments in the discussion about my desires for the mower but may not be conveying it to a couple correctly. My parting words were I will let you know how it turns out.

Not sure if I want a stand on type mower because the only one I have owned is my Gravely pro belt drive wb and out of the 60 hours we have put on it I may have logged 6. Which is enough to know I don't want belt drive wb and how much easier is it with hydro to efficiently produce a good solid cut but also allow me to drive straight lines as I am anal about it.

I also need the mower I but to be able to efficiently mow 1/2 acre to 3/4 acre residential type jobs. How easy is it to maneuver the hydro wb machine around the house and obstacles in the yard such as a flag pole or a couple trees a flower bed.
Am I gonna be better off with a ztr?

What I know I want is floating deck and getting in back yards is not an issue

Also know I want the option of bagging but that will be minimal and a reliable after market catcher would be an option to if the stock is crazy high.

Don't want 60 inch don't want heavy mower to avoid rutting and be able to maneuver as to mow small front yards, as in a 1/2 acre setting with 5,000 sq ft home on it, in different directions as I cannot with 60 inch kubota.

Maybe I can get better responses. For me to have decided on a mower last night in this thread, I never once talked to a dealer today! Lol!!

Sometimes I have a hard time of typing what I'm trying to explain. I kinda go around the world to get to the point.
Posted via Mobile Device

LibertyFarmLandscaping
10-12-2011, 08:57 PM
I would highly recommend the Snapper Pro S50x with 48" deck. They started putting the ICD deck in these for 2011. Have 340 hours on it with no problems, and an excellent cut. It's very comparable to the Scag deck. It was $5000 otd with 20hp Kawi. Weight is only 724 lbs.

Ridin' Green
10-12-2011, 09:07 PM
No I never once said in this thread which mower I decided on. I am listening to Any positive comments in the discussion about my desires for the mower but may not be conveying it to a couple correctly. My parting words were I will let you know how it turns out.

Not sure if I want a stand on type mower because the only one I have owned is my Gravely pro belt drive wb and out of the 60 hours we have put on it I may have logged 6. Which is enough to know I don't want belt drive wb and how much easier is it with hydro to efficiently produce a good solid cut but also allow me to drive straight lines as I am anal about it.

I also need the mower I but to be able to efficiently mow 1/2 acre to 3/4 acre residential type jobs. How easy is it to maneuver the hydro wb machine around the house and obstacles in the yard such as a flag pole or a couple trees a flower bed.
Am I gonna be better off with a ztr?

What I know I want is floating deck and getting in back yards is not an issue

Also know I want the option of bagging but that will be minimal and a reliable after market catcher would be an option to if the stock is crazy high.

Don't want 60 inch don't want heavy mower to avoid rutting and be able to maneuver as to mow small front yards, as in a 1/2 acre setting with 5,000 sq ft home on it, in different directions as I cannot with 60 inch kubota.

Maybe I can get better responses. For me to have decided on a mower last night in this thread, I never once talked to a dealer today! Lol!!

Sometimes I have a hard time of typing what I'm trying to explain. I kinda go around the world to get to the point.
Posted via Mobile Device

OK, gotcha. From your wording here-
Thank you Snyder and SD Landscapes that's exactly what info I was looking for. Thank you very much. Will let you know how it turns out.

I took it that that info had helped you decide to go with the WB.

You don't explain so good, and I don't comprehend so good:laugh:

A.T.G LAWN CARE
10-12-2011, 10:20 PM
I HAVE A QUESTION. 52in exmark lazer e series for 8,300 or 52 in snapper pro for 7,000 im 16 and very experienced in the industry, cutting grass for 8 yr with my dad now im doing so one my own. and cant spend more than that,,, what do i get ???

cut level
10-12-2011, 10:40 PM
I would highly recommend the Snapper Pro S50x with 48" deck. They started putting the ICD deck in these for 2011. Have 340 hours on it with no problems, and an excellent cut. It's very comparable to the Scag deck. It was $5000 otd with 20hp Kawi. Weight is only 724 lbs.

Yes have a great Snapper dealer 10 minutes from my house and I know from experience the Snapper lays down a dang good cut and is a very good machine! I don't care what anyone says Snapper has a good product and a fair price in the market right now and expect to see more on the road. I like that weight.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
10-13-2011, 12:10 AM
I HAVE A QUESTION. 52in exmark lazer e series for 8,300 or 52 in snapper pro for 7,000 im 16 and very experienced in the industry, cutting grass for 8 yr with my dad now im doing so one my own. and cant spend more than that,,, what do i get ???

You're new here it looks like, so I'll cut you some slack, but it's not cool to just jump into several different threads like you're doing to ask what mower to buy. If you want answers, simply start your own thread like you should do. Don't hi-jack someone else's .:)

Ridin' Green
10-13-2011, 12:13 AM
Yes have a great Snapper dealer 10 minutes from my house and I know from experience the Snapper lays down a dang good cut and is a very good machine! I don't care what anyone says Snapper has a good product and a fair price in the market right now and expect to see more on the road. I like that weight.
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree. I like the Snapper ZTR's. I think they are darn good machines with a lot to offer, especially for the money. Sometimes I think the name alone hurts their popularity. I'd take one of them before many of the other brands that I've looked at. The Pro 150 and 200 series are really nice IMO.

A.T.G LAWN CARE
10-13-2011, 05:00 PM
i don't know how to start my own trend still trying to figure out how the site work. and im not trying to be a burden i just want to know what product to get just needed some advice for experienced landscaper that's all:dizzy:

Jimslawncareservice
10-13-2011, 05:06 PM
Click on new thread on top left of page that lists all the other posts
Posted via Mobile Device

cut level
10-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Personally I'd take the Snapper Pro over the exmark. The Snapper Pro or Snapper has come a long way and like I said before there will start being more and more of em out there. There will be plenty that also think they are too good or won't look "cool" running a Snapper. Great price on Snappers and definitely good machines and the decks are real good.
And it took me a little bit to learn to post. Click the little ? Where it says "threads" at the top above the list of threads when u come to the forum you want to post in

2 friends of mine have exmarks they cut commercially and I just don't see the "wow" factor in em nor the cut. I'm not saying they don't have a good cut. IMHO and I have ran Snapper pro 52 before and no way I would pay the extra money to have exmarks on the trailer because the end result of the lawn is that it looks great and you can depend on your machine.
Posted via Mobile Device

A.T.G LAWN CARE
10-13-2011, 05:40 PM
thanks finally some positive helpful feedback thanks:dancing:

Ridin' Green
10-13-2011, 06:15 PM
I agree with cut level. The Snapper Pro's are great mowers, and off a lot of bang for the buck. Remember, they're basically a Ferris mower, so they have a good pedigree to start with. Almost everyone around me runs Exmark mowers. They obviously cut good, but I cut right up to the edge of one property that is cut by a large LCO with my Deere 7 Iron, and it easily blows their cut away, so they aren't necessarily the best mower running IMO.

For how much less the Snapper is, you will get just as good a machine, and still have plenty left to use for whatever else you need for your business. I have said it before, but I think too many people equate the name with being a homeowner machine, or simply think it sounds unprofessional somehow (as if Scag sounds good :confused:, even though they are top of the line machines), but once word and dealer availability gets around more, you'll see more of them being used by LCO's.

LibertyFarmLandscaping
10-13-2011, 07:47 PM
Now that the Ferris and Snapper Pro have the ICD deck they are quite a machine. I run 3 Turf Tigers with the 35 hp Vanguard. The highest hour machine will most likely be replaced next year. The Ferris 3100 will be 1 of the mowers I demo with the Vanguard to take its place. We mow some large accounts, the biggest is 28 acres with alot of rough areas. So the suspension would definitely be nice.

I think the 200x Snapper Pro with shorter wheel base than the TT will be rougher, but I will check it out also. I bought the little S50x to do 1/4 acre to 1/2 acre lawns, and it works perfect.

jsslawncare
10-13-2011, 09:07 PM
What, No one noticed the first part of his post?

For starters i am full time, insured, tax paying, legit business before someone re-directs the thread that way

Good-luck with that!

LBA1999
10-18-2011, 11:24 PM

Posted via Mobile Device
Sorry didn't see u already have a ZD. If you want a residential mower, stay away from a regular ZTR. IMO toro proline is the best walk behind I would get a 48 or 52 they are light weight and cut nice. IMO toro t bar belt drive is
every bit as easy to stripe with as a hydro but that's just me. If u want a standar, look at regular Wright standar or the X, not the one ZK or the sentar or a JD quick track is a great mower also. I don't care for v ride or any mower where u are behind the wheels seems like wheelies would be a problem. I would go standar because they are faster, only a few hundred pounds more than a WB and make up for it in productivity. If you go WB you could get a hydro with one of those fixed sulkies also that would be almost as maneuverable as a standar