PDA

View Full Version : Name this tree

jlouki01
10-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Found this tree on the internet.. I think it's a Serviceberry of some sort.. can anyone confirm?

White Gardens
10-12-2011, 07:38 AM
That would be my first guess, but I would need an up-close shot of it to confirm.

tenndigger
10-13-2011, 08:08 AM
My guess is this is a multistem crabapple. Hard to tell the exact variety unless other closeups are provided. Serviceberry is a white bloomer, typically doesn't caliper that heavily and the form is a little more open and loose unless it has been cut back several times.

Leo the Landscaper
11-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Looks like a crab apple to me

JimLewis
11-10-2011, 09:33 PM
I'd love to see a close-up. Without that I can't tell.

NaturalIntegrity
11-13-2011, 07:04 PM
I need a close-up, but it looks like a Crape Myrtle.

JimLewis
11-13-2011, 10:12 PM
Crape Mytle would make more sense, since they bloom in the summer/late summer while the other trees suggested (crabapple and serviceberry) both bloom in the spring time. So if this photo was taken within the last 2-3 months, it would make more sense to be a Crape Myrtle.

It does sort of look like a crape myrtle with the pink blooms on the ends of the branches like that. And the multiple trunks is very indicative of a crape myrtle. But most crape myrtles I see in N. California are usually much thicker and fuller and also a little shorter too.

My only hesitation is: do crape myrtle trees grow in Ohio, with the cold temperatures and all? We can just BARELY get them to survive our very mild winters here in Portland Oregon. They grow around here. But we get about a 50% survival rate when we plant them because they don't like the cold winters. Isn't Ohio even colder than Portland? I envision lots of snow and such in the winters there. But maybe I'm wrong.

Also, the blooms on the crape myrtles around this part of the country are usually a little bigger and more profuse. Like this....

http://bexar-tx.tamu.edu/HomeHort/F1Column/2005%20Articles/Graphics/Plants/Crape%20Myrtle.jpg

JimLewis
11-13-2011, 10:15 PM
In what month was the photo taken?

integrityman
11-14-2011, 12:09 AM
Does not appear to be a crape myrtle based on the bloom pattern. My guess is its a crab apple of some sort. The Vinca Minor underneath is in bloom (it blooms almost simultanously to crab apples) and the branch pattern looks like a fruit tree. The flower color looks like a crab apple I doubt this is a Serviceberry as those flowers are white.

MAD whacker
11-14-2011, 12:40 AM
Looks like a crab apple to me

im not sold on that , look at the splits and the proportions at the base...

JimLewis
11-14-2011, 01:52 AM
The Vinca Minor underneath is in bloom (it blooms almost simultanously to crab apples)

That's not entire accurate. While it's true that Vinca blooms in the spring, it almost always continues to bloom (just less prolific) throughout the rest of the summer, off and on.

So if someone told me that photo was taken in Aug. or Sept. I wouldn't be shocked. That's still plausible, even though Vinca has it's heaviest blooms in the spring.