PDA

View Full Version : How make the right "color" stripe everytime.

cuttin-to-the-Max
10-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Its funny how i have been cutting for the longest and just figured out this new "trick"

I hate it when i do to double cut a lawn or double cut one pass then i end up making the white stripe dark. Then i end up having 2 dark stripes instead of one..... Everyones been there!

Just realized if you go with the white stripe every time your lawn will stripe uniformly every time.

So you go up on the white stripe, Once you get to the top you go down on the white stripe then it ends up looking like this!:

http://wheelerlawncare.com/uploads/images/striped.lawn.1.jpg

I dont know.... just thought it was cool
Maybe i will take pics tomorrow.

Jimslawncareservice
10-11-2011, 08:46 PM
How long you been cutting elmer? I shake my head
Posted via Mobile Device

cuttin-to-the-Max
10-11-2011, 08:53 PM
How long you been cutting elmer? I shake my head
Posted via Mobile Device

Lol i know i couldn't believe it. i was almost kicking myself!

Off and on for about 7 Years..... Been in school For landscape architecture, and Worked in the Shop at a landscaping company. When im not making designs for customers of course.

Recently finished school and am a Full time architect but as things have been getting slow boss has told me to pick up the "sticks" (controls) and start cutting with the lawn crews.

flatlander42
10-11-2011, 08:57 PM
wow, you are good!

Turf Tracer
10-11-2011, 09:02 PM
yea, i just got the color thing down a few days ago also.

took alot of practice.

cuttin-to-the-Max
10-11-2011, 09:03 PM
lol Dont be mean to me....I knew someone would benefit from this info...we just have to find that person.......

Lol At least i have a somewhat good excuse since i dont cut 24/7 like others of you guys do. Im not usually in the field so.... And how many times you you actually double cut a lawn..

Darryl G
10-11-2011, 09:10 PM
WTF??? You just figured out that the light stripe is the direction you're looking and the dark one is the opposite? I can't imagine mowing without knowing this. Really? One thing for sure, I'm letting you design anything for me...5 years from now he says..."hey I just figured out a cool trick, if you support a load bearing wall it won't sag."

Reminds me of a college friend when she suddenly reached the realization that "W" wasn't "doubleya" but was "double U" as in 2 Us strung together, lol.

Really? You just figured this out?

JDiepstra
10-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Now wait a minute LOL. I had to read this 4 times to make sure I wasn't missing something. ..... You just figured out how to stripe?

GMLC
10-11-2011, 09:16 PM
And next weeks lesson will be how to alternate directions for double cuts!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
10-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Dude! Why in the ham and cheese would you admit that here LOL?!?:o:o:hammerhead:
You're gonna take the heat now bro.:blob2:

cuttin-to-the-Max
10-11-2011, 09:18 PM
WTF??? You just figured out that the light stripe is the direction you're looking and the dark one is the opposite? I can't imagine mowing without knowing this. Really? One thing for sure, I'm letting you design anything for me...5 years from now he says..."hey I just figured out a cool trick, if you support a load bearing wall it won't sag."

Reminds me of a college friend when she suddenly reached the realization that "W" wasn't "doubleya" but was "double U" as in 2 Us strung together, lol.

Really? You just figured this out?

No. Always knew there were opposite stripes. But never knew/ realized, when in doubt go with the white stripe and you will always have a perfect uniform, striped lawn.

Ridin' Green
10-11-2011, 09:23 PM
No. Always knew there were opposite stripes. But never knew/ realized, when in doubt go with the white stripe and you will always have a perfect uniform, striped lawn.

You need to stop pulling an obama here dude. When you're in a hole, stop digging.:laugh::laugh:

cuttin-to-the-Max
10-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Dude! Why in the ham and cheese would you admit that here LOL?!?:o:o:hammerhead:
You're gonna take the heat now bro.:blob2:

I dont care CLEARLY. I debated on posting this for a couple days. But then i figured Someone might benefit from this. And thats what its really all about. Sometimes you have to embarrass yourself if you know it may benefit someone else.

Ridin' Green
10-11-2011, 09:26 PM
I dont care CLEARLY. I debated on posting this for a couple days. But then i figured Someone might benefit from this. And thats what its really all about. Sometimes you have to embarrass yourself if you know it may benefit someone else.

It's all good. I needed a chuckle tonight, so you did good.:)

JDiepstra
10-11-2011, 09:27 PM
You might consider posting this in the Homeowner Forum. Maybe someone there will benefit from it. Seriously, Im still laughing.

Darryl G
10-11-2011, 09:29 PM

You never noticed while you're mowing that the stripe next to, that you just made going in the opposite direction, is always dark? Really? LOL.

Maybe we'd better go over direction of rotation of string trimmers...did you ever notice it works better to go in one direction than the other when trimming?

JDiepstra
10-11-2011, 09:32 PM
You never noticed while you're mowing that the stripe next to, that you just made going in the opposite direction, is always dark? Really? LOL.

Maybe we'd better go over direction of rotation of string trimmers...did you ever notice it works better to go in one direction than the other when trimming?

It also works better to blow the grass off the drive, curb, and sidewalks with the wind rather than against it if possible..... :laugh:

Darryl G
10-11-2011, 09:35 PM
I'm just picturing it now how many times he went the wrong way down a stripe and had to go back the other direction to fix it...damn I wish there was a way to know which way to go.........But you know what...those are some nice stripes, considering you're a beginner at this. :p

JDiepstra
10-11-2011, 09:37 PM
I'm just picturing it now how many times he went the wrong way down a stripe and had to go back the other direction to fix it...damn I wish there was a way to know which way to go.........

At the end of each stripe I imagine him looking at 3 dark stripes in a row and going "DOH" like Homer Simpson. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

JCPM
10-11-2011, 09:39 PM
You guys shouldn't make fun,(that much). Thats always been the hardest thing to teach a new worker for me. Sometimes were at week 25 before they finally get it down.

JDiepstra
10-11-2011, 09:46 PM
You guys shouldn't make fun,(that much). Thats always been the hardest thing to teach a new worker for me. Sometimes were at week 25 before they finally get it down.

You have to be kidding me.... where are you finding these people? :confused:

Darryl G
10-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Follow the light.........

Turf Tracer
10-11-2011, 09:52 PM
i have agree somewhat w/the op.

if you got a new guy they wont figure this out for awhile.

mind you they dont care as much as the owner

Darryl G
10-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Yeah, took me 5 years to figure out that if you always put the flat side facing down and the air foils up on a mower blade they cut way better. :laugh:

93Chevy
10-11-2011, 10:37 PM
Looks like somebody needs a lesson in light reflection.

Pennington Lawncare
10-12-2011, 12:20 AM
Dang it Darryl, there were a bunch of people on here having a big time until you had to spoil it.

Richard Martin
10-12-2011, 04:26 AM
I'll take the pressure off of you Cuttin...

What I want to know is why Turf Tracer is posting pictures with the copyright blurred out? :)

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=231741&stc=1&d=1318381365

Jimslawncareservice
10-12-2011, 05:07 AM
So Richard why are you posting blurred out copyright pics? We all know why turf tracer is
Posted via Mobile Device

ivyslawncare
10-13-2011, 12:35 AM
Don't listen to these guys. I benefited from this...

....now I know...........

Darryl G
10-13-2011, 10:59 AM
Don't listen to these guys. I benefited from this...

....now I know...........

Noob! LOL. How's that new mower working out for you? Done your initial oil change yet?

JDiepstra
10-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Come on man lighten up. Some back breaking is required for a thread like this!

Snapper Jack
10-13-2011, 07:24 PM
I do find it amazing that someone can spend 7 years mowing lawns and not realize which direction causes which stripe.
Not to bust your balls or anything but I know lots of professional people who've been hammering way at their profession for years and are always leaning some new every day. So I really don't see what the big deal is,so it took him 7 seven years,now he knows and now he moves on to learn a new trick to hopefully improve the appearance of his work or pass along a few tricks to someone else.

93Chevy
10-13-2011, 09:52 PM
Not to bust your balls or anything but I know lots of professional people who've been hammering way at their profession for years and are always leaning some new every day. So I really don't see what the big deal is,so it took him 7 seven years,now he knows and now he moves on to learn a new trick to hopefully improve the appearance of his work or pass along a few tricks to someone else.

Yeah, learning something "new" is like topiary pruning, not missing 3rd grade light reflection lessons.

weeze
10-13-2011, 10:05 PM
well i can say i never really thought about since we dont' stripe down here lol...i still notice all the time that people don't know how to hold a trimmer properly.....some walk the wrong way too...on a straight shaft trimmer you walk to the left and pull the trigger with your left hand....i see guys walking right pulling it with their right hand and i see other guys walking left pulling it with their right hand......you can do it that way i guess but it's just i dunno...just seems proper to pull trigger with your left hand keep you from having to twist your body to the side when doing it.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-13-2011, 11:33 PM
well i can say i never really thought about since we dont' stripe down here lol...i still notice all the time that people don't know how to hold a trimmer properly.....some walk the wrong way too...on a straight shaft trimmer you walk to the left and pull the trigger with your left hand....i see guys walking right pulling it with their right hand and i see other guys walking left pulling it with their right hand......you can do it that way i guess but it's just i dunno...just seems proper to pull trigger with your left hand keep you from having to twist your body to the side when doing it.

I walk right (my right) with trigger in right hand most times. If I have to walk left, I walk backwards so I am not working against my body.

Ridin' Green
10-13-2011, 11:43 PM
I walk right (my right) with trigger in right hand most times. If I have to walk left, I walk backwards so I am not working against my body

Yep. All that grass I cut doesn't seem to know which way I hold my trimmer, or which way I walk. It still falls over.:)

I do understand that a counter rotating trimmer line is like a circular saw blade and "needs to feed" into the work from the bottom side of the cut, which for right handed guys is accomplished while moving from right to left, but it is nowhere near as important with the trimmer. The type of line has more to do with the cut than which way you move IMO.

ivyslawncare
10-13-2011, 11:54 PM
Noob! LOL. How's that new mower working out for you? Done your initial oil change yet?

Oh im lovin it! And yes I have already. I just figured out that if you press the hour meter twice it shows when to change oil, hydro oil, and air filter:hammerhead:

Darryl G
10-13-2011, 11:54 PM
Yep. All that grass I cut doesn't seem to know which way I hold my trimmer, or which way I walk. It still falls over.:)

I do understand that a counter rotating trimmer line is like a circular saw blade and "needs to feed" into the work from the bottom side of the cut, which for right handed guys is accomplished while moving from right to left, but it is nowhere near as important with the trimmer. The type of line has more to do with the cut than which way you move IMO.

Depends I think. If you're into heavy stuff it makes a difference. It can pull the head in and scalp if your going left to right in heavy stuff. Changing the angle of the head makes a big difference too. I wish I could trim better with my left hand on the throttle but I just don't have the same control. Anyway, I go right, I go left, I go every which way. Some edges are tapered, some are vertical. I do it all pretty much at a jog at this point with good results. On the really high end properties I take my time.

It depends on the trimmer as far as what you can do too. I got a lightweight trimmer for my son and the shaft flexes a good bit so trimming "wrong" really creates a problem with that one...Husqvana 128L I think it is.

Darryl G
10-13-2011, 11:55 PM
Oh im lovin it! And yes I have already. I just figured out that if you press the hour meter twice it shows when to change oil, hydro oil, and air filter:hammerhead:

Well at least it didn't take you 7 years, ahahahahhaha. Glad it's working out for you.

Ridin' Green
10-14-2011, 12:05 AM
Depends I think. If you're into heavy stuff it makes a difference. It can pull the head in and scalp if your going left to right in heavy stuff. Changing the angle of the head makes a big difference too. I wish I could trim better with my left hand on the throttle but I just don't have the same control. Anyway, I go right, I go left, I go every which way. Some edges are tapered, some are vertical. I do it all pretty much at a jog at this point with good results. On the really high end properties I take my time.

It depends on the trimmer as far as what you can do too. I got a lightweight trimmer for my son and the shaft flexes a good bit so trimming "wrong" really creates a problem with that one...Husqvana 128L I think it is.

I agree with you......mostly. Especially the highlighted part in your post.

I have found for whatever reason, that my line last a lot longer when I go the "wrong" direction, which is left to right since I'm a righty. On the scalping issue, yea, been there done that with too little throttle, but when it's turned up closer to WOT, I can cut cleanly either way with ease.

weeze
10-14-2011, 12:22 AM
yeah it will still cut going right...it's just going right the trimmer line is throwing the debris into you...if you go left it's throwing it away from you.

i am right handed too but i guess that is just the way i learned to do it (going left)...with curved shaft trimmers you are supposed to go to the right which is probably what most people learn on since the homeowner models are made that way for the most part.

Richard Martin
10-14-2011, 03:28 AM
Depends I think. If you're into heavy stuff it makes a difference. It can pull the head in and scalp if your going left to right in heavy stuff. Changing the angle of the head makes a big difference too. I wish I could trim better with my left hand on the throttle but I just don't have the same control.

To me it matters which way the trimmed grass goes. When you move left to right it tends to thow the grass clippings up against houses, trees etc. and throws the clippings up into the planter beds.

Using your left hand with the throttle and moving right to left is an employment requirement for me. It took me a month to unlearn the incorrect way to hold a trimmer by my new guy. He wanted to hold the gas in his right hand and it was making a mess all over the place.

Glenn Lawn Care
10-14-2011, 12:29 PM
oh wow!!!!!

Ridin' Green
10-14-2011, 12:37 PM
To me it matters which way the trimmed grass goes. When you move left to right it tends to thow the grass clippings up against houses, trees etc. and throws the clippings up into the planter beds.

Using your left hand with the throttle and moving right to left is an employment requirement for me. It took me a month to unlearn the incorrect way to hold a trimmer by my new guy. He wanted to hold the gas in his right hand and it was making a mess all over the place.

Richard, what difference does it make if the throttle is in you left and you move to the right, or your right hand and you move to the right? I know the difference in having it in your left hand and moving to the left, but not if you move to the right.:confused:

Darryl G
10-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Richard, what difference does it make if the throttle is in you left and you move to the right, or your right hand and you move to the right? I know the difference in having it in your left hand and moving to the left, but not if you move to the right.:confused:

Yeah, but who is on first?

weeze
10-14-2011, 03:28 PM

he said go left

Richard Martin
10-14-2011, 04:00 PM

Have you ever tried to have the throttle in you right hand and move to the left? I said move right to left, not left to right. I sometimes get confused about this too. Until I pick up a trimmer that is. :)

Ridin' Green
10-14-2011, 04:37 PM
My bad. I just plain misread the post even though I re-read it before I asked.

I can trim in either direction though, while holding the trimmer in my right hand. I've tried the left handed thing, and it sucked. Nowhere near the contol around bushes/trees, etc. IMO.

I won't/don't/ain't knocking anyone who does though. I just didn't see where there was any great improvement in the cut, and it was much slower for me.

weeze
10-14-2011, 06:05 PM
it's not about the cut it's more about technique...going left throws debris away from whatever you are trimming around as well as throwing it away from you.

kubotafan
10-14-2011, 07:29 PM
It also works better to blow the grass off the drive, curb, and sidewalks with the wind rather than against it if possible..... :laugh:

Best to leak with the wind too!

Ridin' Green
10-14-2011, 07:43 PM
it's not about the cut it's more about technique...going left throws debris away from whatever you are trimming around as well as throwing it away from you.

Unless I'm in the wide open and going along, I still get hit with debris going to my left. Like I said, I've tried it (on quite a few occasions now), and don't see any real advantage. I'll take having greater control over getting hit with less debris every time.:)

Ridin' Green
10-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Best to leak with the wind too!

Not to hijack this thread, but how's your new mower working out for you? Haven't seen you here lately either, so welcome back.

kubotafan
10-14-2011, 09:55 PM
Not to hijack this thread, but how's your new mower working out for you? Haven't seen you here lately either, so welcome back.

I have over 40 hours on it and have been quite happy with it. I mow a couple of cemeteries and if graves were sunk it would scalp more than my Kubota G1800. I ordered the optional rear anti-scalp wheels and they helped a lot. What took me an hour with the G1800 AWS I can do in 45 minutes. I am using just over 1 CDN gallon an hour which would be about 1.3 US gallon an hour. I also ordered the rear hitch but when it came in the dealer discovered it needed the optional rear bumper to attach it to. They have ordered it for me and will also install it for the price they had quoted for the hitch.

A couple of days after I bought it I arrived on a lawn site and there was no response when I tried to start it. I remembered reading somewhere where someone had a wire come off the starter solenoid so I went looking and sure enough I found a dangling wire off the solenoid. I put it back on and it hasn't come off since.

Ridin' Green
10-14-2011, 11:35 PM
I've been posting in another thread, and then started one myself that has drifted back several pages by now, about the trouble I'm having with the Kohler on mine. I just found out the factory is going to give me a new engine. Hopefully it fixes the problem.

I installed my own rear bumper in less than 2 minutes. Take out two bolts from the rear grill, put the two new longer bolts through the holes in the bumper, and tighten down. It don't get much simpler than that.

When you installed the rear gauge wheels, did you use the two dimples on each rear corner to drill the mounting holes?

Got a pic or two of them?

kubotafan
10-15-2011, 07:30 AM
I've been posting in another thread, and then started one myself that has drifted back several pages by now, about the trouble I'm having with the Kohler on mine. I just found out the factory is going to give me a new engine. Hopefully it fixes the problem.

I installed my own rear bumper in less than 2 minutes. Take out two bolts from the rear grill, put the two new longer bolts through the holes in the bumper, and tighten down. It don't get much simpler than that.

When you installed the rear gauge wheels, did you use the two dimples on each rear corner to drill the mounting holes?

Got a pic or two of them?

The dealer installed the gauge wheels. Before I bought it I had asked about price of the wheels and the hitch and I think what they quoted me was just the price of the "kit". They said it would just take a few minutes to install the bumper and hitch.

I will go looking for your thread on the engine. How many hours do you now have?

Ridin' Green
10-15-2011, 11:29 AM
I will go looking for your thread on the engine. How many hours do you now have?

It was in the 40's somewhere when they picked it up. I know they said they had parked it out back on the lawn and were running the thing for quite a while over a few days time with the mower engaged to see what all was going on, so I assume it's well above that now. I don't use this one every day. I mow with another machine part of the time, and I don't do lawn work exclusively. I do several other types of work as well, or I'd have a lot more hours on it than I do.:)

kubotafan
10-15-2011, 11:53 AM
It was in the 40's somewhere when they picked it up. I know they said they had parked it out back on the lawn and were running the thing for quite a while over a few days time with the mower engaged to see what all was going on, so I assume it's well above that now. I don't use this one every day. I mow with another machine part of the time, and I don't do lawn work exclusively. I do several other types of work as well, or I'd have a lot more hours on it than I do.:)

I do shoe repair as well but during the summer I spend most of my time mowing. I also have a tractor for tilling, and snow removal in the winter.

Ridin' Green
10-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Did you find the other thread(s)?

What tractor do you have, or I should say, what model since I assume it's a Kubby?

kubotafan
10-15-2011, 12:35 PM
Did you find the other thread(s)?

What tractor do you have, or I should say, what model since I assume it's a Kubby?

I have a B3030HSDCC and a L3540HSTC. I run a 5' blower on the B3030 and a 6' on the L3540. I have a 5' tiller that I also use on the B3030.

The lawn mowing keeps me tied down in the spring and summer and the snow blowing keeps me tied down in the fall and winter. I keep thinking about dropping one of them, but haven't decided yet which one to drop.:confused:

I did find the other thread. So far I have been OK and haven't had a problem with oil use or smoking.

Ridin' Green
10-15-2011, 01:32 PM
I have a B3030HSDCC and a L3540HSTC. I run a 5' blower on the B3030 and a 6' on the L3540. I have a 5' tiller that I also use on the B3030.

The lawn mowing keeps me tied down in the spring and summer and the snow blowing keeps me tied down in the fall and winter. I keep thinking about dropping one of them, but haven't decided yet which one to drop.:confused:

I did find the other thread. So far I have been OK and haven't had a problem with oil use or smoking.

Sent you a PM

Sammy
10-16-2011, 09:28 AM
Be nice fella's.....His edumacation is paying off for him.
He is passing along information for free !