PDA

View Full Version : Worst October in over 10 years

TMlawncare
10-11-2011, 10:22 PM
This year has really been a roller coaster for us. April was cold and dry. We did not really get going untill the second half of the month. May started off dry also. Up untill Mid August everything was pretty normal. When September hit it got dry and hot. We only got 1" for the month. October temps way above normal and not a drop of rain in almost one month. Grass is nearly dormat and the leaves are falling early. It looks like we will miss our Oct. goal by over 7k. Sept we were down by 2.5k. Fall is not looking pretty around here. Good news, we have a new track loader ordered and its due to come in in 2 weeks. Looking forward to that new payment. Probably won't get an inch of snow either.
Thank God we diversify a little. We do some fert and weed control. Saturday the pump on our lesco sprayer seized up and will cost $650 to replace. All of this starts to get me stressed. I do have a winter fund saved up. I just hate dipping into it in November to cover expenses instead of Jan were it is intended. Any one else having one of these roller coaster years?

tyler_mott85
10-11-2011, 10:31 PM
This has definitely not been the year to jump into this business around here. We got rain last weekend probably the first good measurable rain in at least two months that I can remember. We are officially in an "extreme drought" according to the experts.

I bought a new walkbehind this spring and things were looking good. About the beginning of June came around and it started getting hot and with people around here double checking their expenses I ended up losing about 5 lawns. And thats a lot when you only have 10. lol.

I'm optimistic for spring though bought a new trailer and went in on a used 48" Gravely walk behind. Hopefully I can sell this BOP walkbehind but it's not looking good so far.

Good luck to you and everyone who had a hard year!

coolluv
10-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Same here in Ga. Dry,Hot and now we get a little rain but a little too late, lawns are mostly dormant here. Most lawns that are not on contract haven't been cut in 6 weeks or longer. 2 crappy months in a row and winding down to the end of the season. Its so dry here the trees have been dropping leaves early also.

Yeah it sucks this year.

Dave...

Turf Tracer
10-11-2011, 11:25 PM
wet spring...dry summer...wet fall.

pretty much par for the coarse.

lucky i guess

gebby
10-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Very wet spring, perfect summer, perfect fall. Best yet for me in 16 years. You had what we usually have. We only missed one weeks cut all season. The following week, I wished I would have mowed. I figgured the dry season was going to hit and it didn't. Lucky us.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
10-12-2011, 12:04 AM
Im kinda liking this Oct nice and dry getting other work done dont have spend so much time on a mower
I only hope less snow then last year will at least no 28'' snow storm I like 2-3'' snow storm
Could use some rain thats for sure

What brand track loader you bought

soloscaperman
10-12-2011, 02:14 AM
wet spring...dry summer...wet fall.

pretty much par for the coarse.

lucky i guess

You mean VERY wet spring.... VERY dry summer.... VERY wet fall.

StihlMechanic
10-12-2011, 02:44 AM
This year has really been a roller coaster for us. April was cold and dry. We did not really get going untill the second half of the month. May started off dry also. Up untill Mid August everything was pretty normal. When September hit it got dry and hot. We only got 1" for the month. October temps way above normal and not a drop of rain in almost one month. Grass is nearly dormat and the leaves are falling early. It looks like we will miss our Oct. goal by over 7k. Sept we were down by 2.5k. Fall is not looking pretty around here. Good news, we have a new track loader ordered and its due to come in in 2 weeks. Looking forward to that new payment. Probably won't get an inch of snow either.
Thank God we diversify a little. We do some fert and weed control. Saturday the pump on our lesco sprayer seized up and will cost $650 to replace. All of this starts to get me stressed. I do have a winter fund saved up. I just hate dipping into it in November to cover expenses instead of Jan were it is intended. Any one else having one of these roller coaster years?

You should move to Texas where the 115 degree heat is not so bad and it never rains so you learn not to miss it.

Bunton Guy
10-12-2011, 08:05 AM
It's been a very unusual season here too. More rain in the spring then we usually get and more rain in the summer. This is the first summer that I can remember in 10 years that we didn't even have 1 missed cut from being to dry!!! Slow dry start to the fall but now we've had 2 days of rain (raining as we speak).

Lots of work coming down the pipeline.....enough that we can't get it done quick enough. Working on a large account that will let us hire roughly 6-10 guys this spring.

Wiedmann
10-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Same rollercoaster of year up here near Des Moines, Iowa. Went from having so much rain the grass grew too fast to now no rain in many days. Yards were looking great all year and now they are brown. I haven't mowed anything in over 3 weeks. I guess it's good because I was getting a little burnt out with mowing so much and going to school but with no $$ it could start growing again. Lucky it has been raining here off and on but temps next week are going to be in the 50's so that wont do much to help grow.

wahlturfcare
10-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Wiedmann, i'm in your neck of the woods and have been having the guys mowing about 75-80 percent of their accounts weekly. I'm glad I cut everything alittle long each week and have most of them with irrigation.
It has been nice not to do some of the yards so we can do other things though.

Wiedmann
10-12-2011, 04:22 PM
I think I have seen you doing work in Norwalk?

I agree with it being nice that other things can get done with cutting some of the less active yards out. Chances are they are your less paying yards as well. I'd love to have yards that are irrigated but I haven't gained those clients yet. Hopefully in the next few years as I build my business I'll gain them!

JCPM
10-12-2011, 09:05 PM
Very tough this year in CT. There's a lot of work out here but most of it is the BS stuff that i'd either turn down or send my guys to do to keep them busy. I usually do 15-20 paver installs every season with 4 or 5 of them taking atleast a month to finish. This year I've only had 10 total with only two of them big enough to take 3 weeks each to finish. I've been slowly cutting back on lawn mowing the past few years and this year I thought I'd be totally out but instead I took on another hand full of accounts just to pay bills. After last winter I hoped to never see another show flake again but now I hope we get hammered. Pulling the plows, sanders and boxes out this weekend to start getting ready. Gotta start making bank!
Posted via Mobile Device

soulman
10-13-2011, 12:56 AM
we've been blessed here in atlanta....got everything i need but not everything i want...life is good!

TMlawncare
10-13-2011, 01:34 AM
Im kinda liking this Oct nice and dry getting other work done dont have spend so much time on a mower
I only hope less snow then last year will at least no 28'' snow storm I like 2-3'' snow storm
Could use some rain thats for s
What brand track loader you bought

We bought a little one. Terex pt 30 is on order. Should be here in two weeks. Got a 53" Erskine snow blower coming for it also. We will also have a 8ft arctic sectional pusher coming later this winter for some small parking lots.

Charles
10-13-2011, 07:55 AM
We had a good rain at the end of September and it rained off and on for 3 days in a row this week in SC. Hasn't done that all summer except maybe along the Coast. Temps went back into the 70s. The Sept rain helped get a round of cutting in. Now the Oct rain may let me get a couple of rounds in before the 1st Frost happens. Of course the warm season grasses are slowing down anyway. I may be able to salvage the season. More rain this morning and afternoon. You never know when that first frost will hit. Probably no later than November the 20th. I am just happy to be cutting right now since we are in drought mode.

MOturkey
10-13-2011, 08:20 AM
I haven't been out to check the gauge yet this morning, but we got a pretty good rain last night. Too late to make a tremendous difference, but I suspect I will now have to mow almost every account at least once more. Some I've mowed in the last few days I figured to be over with for the year. A few nice sunny days, and the fescue will pop up in a hurry.

Golfpro21
10-13-2011, 09:00 AM
up here it has been good, we missed one week of cutting in the dead heat in July, but it looks like we will get an extra week of cutting in October.

I hope things pan out for everyone.

Knight511
10-13-2011, 11:53 PM
You should move to Texas where the 115 degree heat is not so bad and it never rains so you learn not to miss it.

It has been an awful year here. Broke the record for 100+ in the year, one of the worst droughts on records... and if you live in the wrong area, all of your yards were burned up in wildfires. This has been a crappy summer in N/ Texas for sure! From bad customers to bad weather, I have only made about 65% of what I did last year.... really crappy year. Thank god this is only part-time... I don't know what I would have done this year.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-14-2011, 12:20 AM
It has been an awful year here. Broke the record for 100+ in the year, one of the worst droughts on records... and if you live in the wrong area, all of your yards were burned up in wildfires. This has been a crappy summer in N/ Texas for sure! From bad customers to bad weather, I have only made about 65% of what I did last year.... really crappy year. Thank god this is only part-time... I don't know what I would have done this year.

I feel for you guys down there....

Here in So MN, wet start to spring and early summer, decent weather rain wise through mid July then things got very very hot and very very dry. Rain has been sparse right up to now. Mowing is off by 3-5 cuts for each account. Every other week for some, 10 days for others.

Now I know what farmers go through, depending on the weather for your livelihood. Its tough sometimes....