PDA

View Full Version : Do You Do a Perimiter Cut Before or After Mowing?

Turf Tracer
10-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Always after.

Also unless your trying to stripe to impress its usually faster not to full circle around landscaping or trees that may be in your path.

Argue Amongst Yourselves.

oh yea obviously im talking fenced not fields.

larryinalabama
10-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Sometimes I do a perminter cut with the Snapper 21, this gets the tires of the mower off last weeks tires spots,,,inotherwords avoids rutting.
The only time I go in circules is if Im bagging or mulching leaves

tyler_mott85
10-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Before. I have always done it this way but with mowers that have a big "rear end" like walkers having a 4 to 5 foot visual reminder helps keep the grass catcher from bashing into fences, etc.

Turf Tracer
10-11-2011, 10:26 PM
yea, i like after because i can see if anything was missed during the mow.

tyler_mott85
10-11-2011, 10:29 PM
yea, i like after because i can see if anything was missed during the mow.

I do that while I walk around blowing all of the down spouts, A/C pads, rock edging, etc.

JDiepstra
10-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Ill actually go around the perimeter twice first in most cases. Keep the clippings outta the mulch and stuff.

weeze
10-11-2011, 10:38 PM
i always do 2-3 runs all the way around the perimeter blowing the clippings into the yard away from fences, driveways, sidewalks, and the road....(my mower discharges clippings up to 3 rows away)....and then i do rows back and forth....if the grass is really tall after i do the perimeter runs i make squares so i'm discharging all clippings outward (away from the uncut grass) to keep from bogging down too much.

nightshutter
10-11-2011, 10:42 PM
i always do 2-3 runs all the way around the perimeter blowing the clippings into the yard away from fences, driveways, sidewalks, and the road....(my mower discharges clippings up to 3 rows away)....and then i do rows back and forth....if the grass is really tall after i do the perimeter runs i make squares so i'm discharging all clippings outward (away from the uncut grass) to keep from bogging down too much.

I need two to turn the mower around comfortably with the bagger on. Also with out the bagger it can shoot 2-3 passes over

Turf Tracer
10-11-2011, 10:45 PM
yea, one more reason a mulch kit is faster. dont have to worry about throwing clippings into beds.

usually 1 perimiter cut will get everything the zero turning missed

weeze
10-11-2011, 10:47 PM
I need two to turn the mower around comfortably with the bagger on. Also with out the bagger it can shoot 2-3 passes over

Yes i do 3 rows to keep any clippings from being blown onto the driveways, sidewalks, roads, and next to the fences. It makes it easier to cleanup afterwards with the blower.

93Chevy
10-11-2011, 10:56 PM
1 perimeter pass before. If I'm worried about tossing clippings, then I either throttle down or point the chute in the other direction...3 lines in the same directions look like crap.

weeze
10-11-2011, 11:01 PM
1 perimeter pass before. If I'm worried about tossing clippings, then I either throttle down or point the chute in the other direction...3 lines in the same directions look like crap.

there isn't any striping here in the south so it's not an issue. mow either way and it looks exactly the same here.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
10-11-2011, 11:09 PM
I do it before 2rounds with 60'' 3 rounds with 72''

heather lawn sp
10-12-2011, 12:03 AM
I do it before 2rounds with 60'' 3 rounds with 72''

That pretty well sums it up around here too

Pennington Lawncare
10-12-2011, 12:26 AM
I go around the house at least once to twice immediately and my trimmer guy then only has to trim what I missed and I also do the same with driveways. I get to the trees or other obstacles when I get there.

ralph02813
10-12-2011, 07:03 AM
I generally do two passes around the outer edge, I try not to do circles around anything as it seems the weight of the mower always pushes the turf. Lately, I have taken to making a last run around the edge but lately Ihave been making one last cut about 18 inches from the edge, this seems to negate the rutting affect - I suspect I will put my 21 back on the truck for certain yards - I have a lot of soft ground I go over. Also, I never cut the same way twice.

GMLC
10-12-2011, 07:11 AM
Before, mostly one pass sometimes two.
Posted via Mobile Device

LHS Lawns
10-12-2011, 07:16 AM
Before. 2 times for me.

FoghornLeghorn
10-12-2011, 07:30 AM
My lawns are so scared of me that they perimeter cut themselves before I get there to save me time.

Darryl G
10-12-2011, 08:32 AM
Usually twice around the perimeter first going clockwise. On some lawns I do this with the 48 inch walk behind, then hop on the rider for the mow. This time of year I will do my second time around going counterclockwise on some of my lawns...they have wooded edges so it discharges the leaves into the woods that way.