PDA

View Full Version : Another avenue for advertising

TimNNJ
10-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Hey what's up guys...rain all morning stop and go..so I have some time to do some office stuff...I was in contact with a company that sells ads on the local ferries here that go to NYC..they have lcd TV's all over the boats..they carry most people earning at least 650k a year into the city for work and what not...for $2500 I can get I think 7 weeks from next week till mid Dec....anyone ever do anything like this?..this would be a chunk of the money I wanted to spend on advertising this year..I would scale back the Postcards to balance everything out...cheers..also service master calls ..out of 4-5 have been tire kickers so far..following up with a couple later today and see what's up..thanks for the advice

GreenI.A.
10-12-2011, 01:35 PM
How often will your add run? I'm assuming the LCD's scroll through a bunch of different adds all day. One good thing is you're getting your name out to alot of businessmen/women who probably fit into the demographics of what you are looking for. After a few days of seeing your add they might think about it, if they think about it at all when in their yard they wont have to think hard about who you are, they can just check the ad on monday morning. I would just be leary about putting all of my eggs in one basket

TimNNJ
10-12-2011, 02:20 PM
I agree..almost half of my eggs..lol...I think he said they would run my add 9-11 times per 40 min trip or something like that it averages out too....it's a big commute in the am and pm..and folks going back and forth to nyc and nj for the weekend...

turf hokie
10-12-2011, 02:37 PM
My only concern would be your hitting the same limited amount of people every day, its a captive audience, but its the same captive audience everytime. Just a thought.
Posted via Mobile Device

TimNNJ
10-12-2011, 05:28 PM
I just spoke with the rep...it's hitting the right kind of people for sure...in the areas where I wanted to hit w/ postcards...I may end up doing 4-5 weeks..starting the week of oct30th-the first week of Dec...and he said if there is extra room on it he will run it for extra time..and I could get a better price..1g less..I am on the fence....one decent job would pay for it..

turf hokie
10-12-2011, 06:33 PM
I just spoke with the rep...it's hitting the right kind of people for sure...in the areas where I wanted to hit w/ postcards...I may end up doing 4-5 weeks..starting the week of oct30th-the first week of Dec...and he said if there is extra room on it he will run it for extra time..and I could get a better price..1g less..I am on the fence....one decent job would pay for it..

I would be on the fence also, because of the one job will pay for it thought, heck if you are hitting the right clientele, and I cant imagine your not, one job and it will more than pay for itself...

I really can't help you one way or the other because I wouldn't know what to do either.

How do they come up with the ad piece? Do you provide it for them or do they put it together as part of the cost?

TimNNJ
10-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Either they can put something together or I can have it done..A friend of mine is a graphic designer so he can help me out..they said put together a basic add ..logo, number ..little blurb about it..then add like 4 pictures to rotate through...it's a 30sec. spot that gets about 10 runs per trip...i'll sleep on it or so..

GreenI.A.
10-12-2011, 09:14 PM
The more I think about it the more I'm thinking I would give it a try

David Gretzmier
10-12-2011, 11:56 PM
I tend to experiment with one new marketing idea each season, so I would treat this as an experiment. but I would still go heavier with what works, yard signs, postcards, referrals.

just my 2 cents.

TimNNJ
10-13-2011, 06:31 AM
I may cut the weeks back to test the waters..and do the post cards heavier...anyone do the .14 post office deal yet?..I should be getting my go ahead any day now...

TheBetterDoorhanger
10-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Your return on your investment is so important so if the ad at least pays for itself than its more than worth it because your getting your name out there as well.

Regarding the postcards, our Postcards include our Stick-It® feature which really help increase your ROI. It allows your postcard to work like a magnet but only better because the Stick-It will work on stainless steel refrigerators. Stick-It is repositionable & won't leave a residue. You can request a sample packet of our products to try them out at www.AdeasPrinting.com/free-samples or view a video in action at www.AdeasPrinting.com/post-cards. Our pricing is very competitive - for example you can order 2,500 full color 9x6 postcards on gloss cover with Stick-It - addressed & mailed to selected carrier routes for $0.314 each including postage - free custom design services and the mailing list... or 5,000 for $0.277 each.

Let me know if you have any direct mail questions, would like to see reports to help you select routes based on income or home value.. or just want conversation about some mailing ideas you have....

Robin Christopherson
www.AdeasPrinting.com
robin@adeasprinting.com
866-778-4254 ext 200

TimNNJ
10-27-2011, 06:58 AM
I didn't do it..I am just going to do the postcards, lawn signs..the Christmas light markerting thing and what not for now...rather keep the cash on hand I think

turf hokie
10-27-2011, 08:21 AM
Dont regret the decision, I didnt check to see how long you have been doing the lighting but it makes sense to NOT do this particular ad and put the money towards advertising that will "brand" your name and get it in front of more people.

We are running a full page magazine ad that hits 110,000 houses AND a coupon style mailer (no coupon, ironic) that will hit 80,000 homes both in NY and NJ both of these will run around 4k combined.

Past experience says we will get between 75 and 150 calls, it's a large range but we are hitting some new areas so I figure it will be on the higher end.

of those 150 calls, 100 will not set an appt for a variety of reasons, too expensive, wanted us to hang their lights etc.

of the remaing 50 I would hope to sell 20 or so and based on our average that would be about a 10x ROI.

Point being, I dont think you would sell 10 of them for the same ROI as you would more than likely get from the postcards etc.

Good luck.

addictedtolandscaping
10-27-2011, 11:30 AM
I am in a similar boat here. I ran an add with a local radio station last year, they were 24.7 Christmas, the type of people we are looking for so to speak. All together it ran me $950. I got one job, so I broke even, but I got name recognition. I talked to the saleswoman yesterday, they aren't going with the Christmas format, and she couldn't comprehend why I wasn't going to be interested. Insisted on setting up a meeting, not interested means I am going to be busy.

At this point not sure what I am going to do with the additional revenue I had budgeted, but it is definitely not going to get wasted on a pop format. Especially, when I hate pop. LOL

TimNNJ
10-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Ya I hear you. My wife takes the ferry sometimes and says people don't really look at them..and a buddy took it up there and said he didn't notice the screens..and he is a.d.d so I figured if he didn't see then it was a shot in the dark. I guess I will do 3 rounds of postcards hopefully getting them out next week and then 10-12 days later..I put some signs out already..going to put out another 10 tomorrow for the weekend..

JimmyTheGlove
10-27-2011, 04:04 PM
I invested in an advertisement that showed up on LCD TV's in places like Restaurant waiting areas and Doctor office waiting areas. I made my money back and then some in a year but I don't think I'm going to renew again this year.

Advertising on a ferrie, you'll get a lot more traffic than I did from people at restaurants and doctor offices so I'd say give it a shot. I'll bet it will be worth it.

The Glove Thumbs Up

TimNNJ
10-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Friend just called me to tell me that the clippwr magazine has some of deal foe 850 for the 10000 postcards and delivery. Will have more info later.
Posted via Mobile Device