PDA

View Full Version : Jungle Wheels leaving ruts

NBLL
11-10-2002, 05:22 PM
Has anyone using two-wheel jungle wheels had problems with leaving tracks and packing down the grass. I'm using a 48" Exmark, I alternate stripes each cut and I only weigh about 165. Do I need to get a single wheel and alternate it with the double wheel?:confused:

Nebraska
11-10-2002, 07:30 PM
Ground is too wet. Have them change the dates and frequency of water.

rvsuper
11-10-2002, 07:40 PM
Nebraska is right. If all yards are like this though, maybe conside a ProSlide or just take it off.

just my 2 cents

NBLL
11-10-2002, 07:57 PM
At first I thought is was too wet but it happened on new properties that I began mowing when it was dry. I might experiment with tire pressure. I'm planning on getting a zero-turn to start out the new season and this won't be as much of a problem.:)

rvsuper
11-10-2002, 09:35 PM
Make sure you have the recommended tire pressure for that specific mower. I check my tire pressure for both of my prolines every morning before I am out.

KLMlawn
11-10-2002, 10:50 PM
Tires pressure and wetness of grass ... a single wheel will make things worse, not better. Pro-Slide is a good option too.

Schlepie
11-10-2002, 11:23 PM
What kind of grass is it? Sometimes mine will leave some in taller bermuda.

NBLL
11-10-2002, 11:37 PM
Bluegrass and Fescue and the normal grasses found here in KY.

greenman
11-11-2002, 12:03 AM
You said it happens on new properties. A lot of contractors and subcontractors just throw these homes together, and they dont give a rats butt about the proper installation of topsoil and turf. Its a new soil (maybe, if they even brought in topsoil), and new turf. It is loose, needs to compact some, so thats what you are doing, compacting the loose soil with your tires. Cross our patterns and offset when running the same pattern, but the mowing season is over. Over the course of the winter the soil will harden and compact some, so next year should be fine.

If that is the problem, just my $.02.

NBLL
11-16-2002, 01:59 PM
They are new properties to me but not new homes. All of these are established lawns 10+ years.

mowsho
11-24-2002, 09:57 AM
Take it to your local Exmark / Jungle wheel dealer. We have sold them both for several years and have not had any complaints like this. Since Jungle wheels is in Louisville they will be able to help if we can't.

Doc Pete
11-24-2002, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by NBLL
Has anyone using two-wheel jungle wheels had problems with leaving tracks and packing down the grass. I'm using a 48" Exmark, I alternate stripes each cut and I only weigh about 165. Do I need to get a single wheel and alternate it with the double wheel?:confused:
I weigh 155 and my junglewheel "style" velky doesn't make a problem. Also, my helper is 190 and uses a single wheel rig without problems. If you are packing the grass down with the velky, I'd think the mower is really doing the same, especially since it's WB with thin tires.
Pete