PDA

View Full Version : Momentum

NBLL
11-10-2002, 05:28 PM
When is it too late for momentum. I'm in northern KY, we've had a couple of light frosts and it's been staying in the low to mid 50's in the day and high 30's to low 40's at night.

tremor
11-11-2002, 08:01 PM
If daytime highs aren't going above 55*F, then it's time to switch over to an ester based herbicide. The brand isn't important. It's just that weeds grow to slow for amines (like Momentum) once the temps stay this low.

All this assumes the nighttime low is barely dipping to freezing. Lower, & it's time to forget weeds till spring.

Steve

strickdad
11-12-2002, 04:11 AM
steve do you have any recomendations for the ester based herbicides? maybe speedzone?

tremor
11-12-2002, 10:28 AM
I've never used Speedzone. It's only unique active ingredient is Carfenazone, which should not be used with 2,4-D or clopyralid according to university field advisor reports that were collected prior to labeling. Damage to young grass plants was noted as cause for concern.
Established turf was apparently not a problem. It also contains MCPA, MCPP, & Dicamba. They've been around for years & are fairly predictable, & good quality performers.

I noticed from the Speedzone label that use rates are 1.47-2.2 oz per 1000. That's pretty high. I don't know the cost of this product, but based on the rate and an anticipated cost per acre of $30.00, then I'd guess the selling price at $40.00 per gallon. Is that close?

My own commercial interests will cloud my vision on this one though. Our Three-Way Ester II is the only Ester based herbicide that I sell today. It's a great herbicide and has a heavy rate cost of only $24.00 per acre when purchased in low/moderate volume.

http://www.bluebooktor.com/Library/..\docs\label\L46376.PDF

Since I have no firsthand cost data for SZ, can anyone else comment on the guesswork cost comparison?

Steve

Fvstringpicker
11-16-2002, 10:02 AM
I agree with termor, from my experience, the Three-Way Ester II is an excellent product.

strickdad
11-16-2002, 05:56 PM
thanks for the info. i will try it..