PDA

View Full Version : Do you do repairs when you winterize ?

Mdirrigation
10-12-2011, 08:50 PM
We dont unless its absolutly necessary to get the blow out done , and then if its time consuming we reschedule. Customers are under the misconseption that they will save a service call charge if we repair while we are there .
We generally make up a work order for the spring and repair at the spring turn on.

irritation
10-12-2011, 08:55 PM
If there is a possibility of water getting back in the pipes, then yes, absolutely.

Mike Leary
10-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Never, ever; you got too much overhead going on to screw around with repairs. You've an employee, you (most cases I supervised winterize) truck, compressor, you're on a schedule with all you need to winterize, period. I used a different truck to tow the compressor that had zero parts on board. A accurate zone chart problem list was taken and we dealt with any problems over the winter or springtime.

SPEEDSKI
10-12-2011, 09:03 PM
Only if the the problem is going to cause more problems. A large mainline break will make a large mess when you throw the air to it and a large mainline break will also fill up with mud, rocks and debris over the winter.

A main shut off valve, well that is an obvious one. Otherwise, why fix something that has a chance of getting broken again over the winter. Even if the controller is down, we will do blow the valves manually or with a actuator.

Blow outs for us are all about speed along with a quality service. It is the last cash cow of the year.

mitchgo
10-12-2011, 09:07 PM
If something ever breaks/pops off from me winterizing I always repair it.

If it was already broken then I usually just notate it down on the invoice and recommend a spring tune up.

If it's a quick 30 second fix like one broken nozzle on a 4 zone system.. Sometimes I'll fix it..

A main line break .. yeah that needs to be fixed

Today I had a cracked Mipt prior to the back flow assembly which I had to repair before I winterized.

Mike Leary
10-12-2011, 09:13 PM
Blow outs for us are all about speed along with a quality service. It is the last cash cow of the year.

Agreed, speed is the whole meal deal when winterizing. I never once thought about any kind of repair during winterize except having it noted, put on the board, and dealt with as needed (cash-flow-wise). :clapping:

FIMCO-MEISTER
10-13-2011, 12:18 AM
Mitch charged extra for the repair.

AI Inc
10-13-2011, 05:47 AM
as the OP stated , its always the cheapos that want repairs done now. A lot of times telling them everything is date coded and the warrenty will be 1/2 over by the time they will use , they change their mind.

DanaMac
10-13-2011, 07:31 AM
We will do occasional small repairs - missing nozzle, drip emitter, cut in drip pipe, bonnet/poppet, etc. No valve or head replacement, or major leak repairs. We tack on additional labor charges, no matter if the blow out takes 10 minutes. But I prefer to do it in the spring. We do note any problems on the invoice.

bobw
10-13-2011, 08:45 AM
We NEVER do a repair during blowouts. If a system has severe enough damage to hamper the blow out, we'll come back AFTER everyone is done, do the repair and blow out the system then. The customer will get tagged the cost of renting a compressor for the blow out after the repair as well as for the repair.

Mike Leary
10-13-2011, 11:59 AM
We NEVER do a repair during blowouts. The customer will get tagged the cost of renting a compressor for the blow out after the repair as well as for the repair.

True, it gets spendy for the newbie client to call for a winterize AFTER the compressor has been winterized and put to bed, also. payup

Mike Leary
10-13-2011, 12:04 PM
Mitch charged extra for the repair.

So? You're still screwing up the schedule, especially if you've got hand-wringing HOs waiting for you 'cause you told them 10.00am. :cry:

mitchgo
10-13-2011, 12:13 PM
I should have charged extra.. I charged repair time/ parts and then seperately for winterizing.

It did screw my schedule up but not too bad.

Mike Leary
10-13-2011, 12:16 PM
I should have charged extra.. I charged repair time/ parts and then seperately for winterizing.

It did screw my schedule up but not too bad.

That's all I meant, Mitch. Some "hands on" clients can be a royal p.i.t.b. if you don't show at "exactly" the right time. :hammerhead:
My guys got so far behind one day, that they worked into the dark and managed to trip a silent alarm at an absentee client. Next thing they heard was, "freeze, turkey" from the cops. :dizzy:

mitchgo
10-13-2011, 12:28 PM
Yeah..

Some people will freak out about it.. but most are pretty cool. We try and call all the clients if with early/ late. Even 5 or 10 minutes. Sometimes I'm so caught up in the moment of the job I'm at I don't / loose track of time.

If I'm getting extremely late I'll re-work my schedule.. It's better to call up one person and ask them to re-schedule tell later on in the day... another day and have them Pissed then have 10 clients pissed for me being late to everyone

I'm sick today.. First day I called in this year.. Luckily were only at 3 trucks right now so another lead can take over my route

Mike Leary
10-13-2011, 06:30 PM
I'm sick today.

Start planning a trip south to dry out. Hope you feel better. :)

DanaMac
10-13-2011, 07:13 PM
So? 'cause you told them 10.00am. :cry:

I NEVER tell them an exact time. I give a one hour time window that we will show up within. I can't say if one job will take exactly 23 minutes, and then the next job 44 minutes, and then the next 37 minutes. Customers can talk and take up my time, need a pit stop for the restroom, vehicle issues, etc.

greenworldh20
10-13-2011, 08:29 PM
Winterize only...make note of repairs needed and added to spring start up.

Mdirrigation
10-13-2011, 08:35 PM
I give a closer window in the morning , as the day rolls on I check messages and will add others that are close to my location , or I have neighbors ask if I can do theirs while I am right there , I usually pick up 3 to 4 new ones every week

Mike Leary
10-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Winterize only...make note of repairs needed and added to spring start up.

Ditto, you got some expensive metal being towed around and attention should be paid to problems, but repairs not on this milk run, Bob.

HokieAg07
10-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Absolutely not, name of the game is winterize and move on - make a list and work on when slow in winter..

DanaMac
10-13-2011, 11:01 PM
I usually tell the customer that there's no need to fix it now, as it may get broken during the winter - snow plow, snow blower, shovel, whatever.

AI Inc
10-14-2011, 05:46 AM
I usually tell the customer that there's no need to fix it now, as it may get broken during the winter - snow plow, snow blower, shovel, whatever.

That changes their mind real quick.

irritation
10-14-2011, 08:44 PM
I can't believe you guys would not make simple repairs to keep water from getting back in. If you repair it later ground water has probably already filled the pipe.
I've replaced pipe from freeze damage, some 20 -40 ft long from idiots that don't know what their doing.
I do my best to make sure the system is blown out and no ground water can enter.
Half the time I spend winterizing is waiting. It's no big deal to replace a nozzle, busted head or even repair a pipe break. Charge extra but do it before you need to blow it again.

bx24
10-15-2011, 06:37 PM
I can't believe you guys would not make simple repairs to keep water from getting back in. If you repair it later ground water has probably already filled the pipe.
I've replaced pipe from freeze damage, some 20 -40 ft long from idiots that don't know what their doing.
I do my best to make sure the system is blown out and no ground water can enter.
Half the time I spend winterizing is waiting. It's no big deal to replace a nozzle, busted head or even repair a pipe break. Charge extra but do it before you need to blow it again.

I repair when I winterize 90% of the time. Today I only did 6 yards and 1 yard (neighbor) I did not fix the head...Do it in the spring when I startup...

The complete sys was blown out so it was not needed right now.

mitchgo
10-15-2011, 06:57 PM
I just dont have the time

Winterizing starting 7am and ending at 5pm with averagely 30 minutes per house depending on the size that's 20 houses per day. Could me more could be less

Mike Leary
10-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Half the time I spend winterizing is waiting.

For what? A train, plane or Godot? :dizzy:

Wet_Boots
10-15-2011, 07:35 PM
a good five cent cigar

Mike Leary
10-15-2011, 08:37 PM
There is a sculpture in Seattle dedicated to people who wait.