PDA

View Full Version : LCO's Helping LCO's your input and pricing coments are needed!

harperservices
11-10-2002, 06:41 PM
A customer wants a quote for the following and stated the quotes he has received are too high.

Project number 1.
Provide 60sq yds of shredded hardwood mulch for apprx
39 mulch beds @ 2" depth. (18,144 sq ft/1452 linear feet)
Re-define all mulch beds and remove weeds.
Includes all material, labor and delivery charges.
Original price quoted$3,000

Project number 2.
Remove fallen tree in back of yard and haul away. (small tree)
Remove and replace dead shrubs as follows:
1 Gal. Size Boxwoods bushes (12 needed)
Additions to front of mulch bed:
Creeping Junipers (used as ground cover) (27 needed)
Original price quoted$455.00

Project 3
De-thatch and Aerate front and back (apprx 20,000 plus sq ft)Provide a natural organic top dressing (Leaf Gro, Ecology)Overseed front and back also fix damaged lawn spots
Original price quoted $3,710.00

Grand total for this huge property was $7,165.00

I think who ever quoted this was pretty much on the mark. Needless to say the guy does not think so and probably thinks we are mad.

Just trying to help out a fellow professional.

What's your take.

Your input and price for the above is very much appreciated.:angel:

KLMlawn
11-10-2002, 07:19 PM
Project 1

60 yards of double milled mulch (delivered & installed) $4500
(hard to estimate the weeding without seeing how many weeds currently exist)
Weeding and re-define = $600 aprox.
Total $5100

Project 2
Remove tree = $150
replace 12 Buxus 1-2 gal = $300 including labor
install 27 Blue rug juniper 1-2 gal = $600
Total $1050

Project 3

De-Thatch/Aerate/Seed/Starter fert 20K sq.ft. = $1200
Not sure of your specified organic amendment but we can get a similar product to what I believe you are refering to from our local compost facility, which basically consists of grass, leaves and mulch, mixed and processed.
aprox 20 yrds deliverd and spread = $2000
between the above two processes, you should have been able to repair any damaged parts of the lawn.
Total $ 3200

Bid Total $9350

If you want a quality job, you have to be willing to pay for it !!!!!!!

crazygator
11-10-2002, 07:56 PM
Did you come out and ask him where he thought the pricing would or should be? It might help same a lot of time. If he is thinking $1500 or something low then time to move on. Just ask him and then you will know.

Or if the price is off just by a little bit, maybe you can sharpen your pencil a tad. Just a thought!

harperservices
11-10-2002, 08:52 PM
The above was the final quote.

greenman
11-10-2002, 09:01 PM
I think that the prives are too low.
#1-$3600
#2-$855
#3- how much compost is to be applied?

Green Pastures
11-10-2002, 09:26 PM
I come up with $9000 for all three jobs as well. I think you're selling yourself short.

I'm assuming you're going to use a company to "blow in" 60 yds. of mulch, if not you're really selling yourself short.

I did 50 cu.yds. of mulch this Spring with weeding of the beds first and DID NOT re-define the beds. I paid $18 per cu. yd. for the mulch delivered and each of my (2) helpers made $8 an hour. I got $3000 for that job, 50 yds. mulch x $45 per. yd. delivered and installed the rest came from weeding the beds. Let me tell you this I will NEVER do any more than 20 yds of mulch by hand again. It was myself and two helpers. We had the mulch dumped in the driveway and used an 8 and a 10 cube double wheeled wheelbarrows to move the mulch to the beds. Took us almost 12 hours. I made $$, but several days after these old bones were killing me. Several days later I met a man who owns 6 of these trucks that blow the mulch in. Get this, I can get him to blow in mulch for $26 a cu. yd. I can still sell it for $45 a cu. yd and I make $19 a cu. yd. for a few phone calls and a few hours to be on site while they do the job. No clean up, no risk of my employees getting hurt, no sore muscles for me.

Hope this helps.

bobbygedd
11-11-2002, 01:29 AM
not even getting out the calculator . the bid was too low

McNeal Lawn
11-11-2002, 09:17 AM
Green Pastures, how about sharing your contact for "blow in" mulch with me, I work in the Virginia Beach area, I only know of Waltrop as a supplier for blown mulch, the best pricing I could get from them was $35.00 a yard. Thanks

Randy Scott
11-11-2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by harperservices
A customer wants a quote for the following and stated the quotes he has received are too high.

When did the customer decide what the service provider should charge. The price is the price! If he doesn't want to pay that much then he can do it himself. What a joke.
:rolleyes:

Bill Davis
11-11-2002, 07:04 PM
Project number one i would have to charge at least $4,900. On prokect two i would need charge at least $400.00 more dollars than you b/c the Boxwoods are so expensive here. At my cost they are still $79.00 and that is half off retail. I couldn't tell you what to charge for the third one just b/c I dont do that kind of work yet.

bubble boy
11-11-2002, 07:04 PM
Randy Scott-ain't that the truth, that statement is a joke.

get that alot here. "you can do better than that" or "the other guy is only charging $XX"

i just this yr started to laugh it off. i used to get frustrated.

did a quote today the lady says "well we may go with you since you're the lowest so far."

Do i want this prop now, after that? Granted, although my prices aren't the highest in my area, they are no where near the lowest. highly unlikely she calls us back, once the parade of LCO's has gone thru.

but if she does end up calling i 'm preparing myself for trouble.